Sonic Colours - Aquarium Park Generations ReMix

http://www.box.com/s/e588fad7761d1934ce2f

I've been asked to make a Generations-sounding version of "Aquarium Park" From Sonic Colours. (Something more so along the lines of a Modern Remix)

I could really use some help on this one, as well as some good old fashioned critique.

That piano is played so amazingly, it's hard to do it justice.

I am really loving the vibe I'm giving it though.

Comments and Crit are always welcome!

Oh man, everytime I hear Aquarium Park i'm reminded of one of Will Rock's aborted remixes. http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33937 :) He ended it before greatness.

I assume that by generations-sounding you mean a "Classic Sonic" version of the original? It sounds like you are off to a good start to me. My word meaning next to nothing right now.

I'm not 100% but is that a drum loop you are using? My speakers broke and i have to listen with earbuds right now, but to me it doesn't sound like the kick and snare received seperate attention. I don't like using loops myself because I prefer to have control over every aspect of the kit. Drums can take the longest to process but the payoff is worth it.

I know it's a wip, and that someone asked you to do a slight style change of the original, but i think this is a bit too conservative of a remix as it is right now. I wasn't a huge fan of the way some of what was supposed to be Nakamura-esque music in Generations ended up being house versions of the original. I think it would be great if you did this in the true spirit of Classic Sonic to qualify it as more of a remix and less of a cover. Then again, it comes down to what the person in question asked for.

I'm all over Sonic remixes so i'll be keeping an eye on this one. :)

Oh man, everytime I hear Aquarium Park i'm reminded of one of Will Rock's aborted remixes. http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33937 :) He ended it before greatness.

I assume that by generations-sounding you mean a "Classic Sonic" version of the original? It sounds like you are off to a good start to me. My word meaning next to nothing right now.

I'm not 100% but is that a drum loop you are using? My speakers broke and i have to listen with earbuds right now, but to me it doesn't sound like the kick and snare received seperate attention. I don't like using loops myself because I prefer to have control over every aspect of the kit. Drums can take the longest to process but the payoff is worth it.

I know it's a wip, and that someone asked you to do a slight style change of the original, but i think this is a bit too conservative of a remix as it is right now. I wasn't a huge fan of the way some of what was supposed to be Nakamura-esque music in Generations ended up being house versions of the original. I think it would be great if you did this in the true spirit of Classic Sonic to qualify it as more of a remix and less of a cover. Then again, it comes down to what the person in question asked for.

I'm all over Sonic remixes so i'll be keeping an eye on this one. :)

Thanks so much for feedback! They actually were asking for a more Modern Mix. I'm trying to adding my own flare to it, but I'm still trying to keep it close to the original. I'm hoping that the more I delve into this song, the more I can take it into my own influence.

I think I'll have to find a new drum break, or make my own soon. This one is directly from the game in the third act. I thought it would sound good, but I may have to separate each sound so I have more control over velocity and the like.

This is pretty cool. That first synth lead seems to be louder than everything else. I'd lower that, maybe bring the bass synth up a bit, which would make it seem thicker and let you raise the total volume a dash too.

Thanks! I knew there was something odd about the bass, but I couldn't put my finger on it...

My weirdest concern with Modern remixes and Colors is this: Colors was the most recent game, so it's technically the most modern (aside from Generations).

So, any remix in a similar style would count?

But it sounds good...obviously some level working would be nice and tweaks; but I think it's a great start.

My advice would be to really analyze what made the original good, and make sure to keep/recreate that. Sonic Team had the Planet Wisp music which seemed to be very reliant on the bass guitar, but then they took it out. So, uhh, don't do that.

My weirdest concern with Modern remixes and Colors is this: Colors was the most recent game, so it's technically the most modern (aside from Generations).

So, any remix in a similar style would count?

But it sounds good...obviously some level working would be nice and tweaks; but I think it's a great start.

My advice would be to really analyze what made the original good, and make sure to keep/recreate that. Sonic Team had the Planet Wisp music which seemed to be very reliant on the bass guitar, but then they took it out. So, uhh, don't do that.

Thanks man. You do bring up a good point. That's something that was kind of worrisome when I started; the fact that just about anything can be considered a Modern Remix when it comes to a colours mod.

Bringing this to a point about Generations, I wasn't the biggest fan of Planet Wisps Remix. It was more of a not so great remaster...

Moving back on point.. :P

I think that the most identifiable feature of this world's themes was the Amen breaks used along with the piano. I would love to make my own from scratch, but I don't quite know how to make one, let alone a good sounding one. I may have to go through some samples and do some rearranging. As stated before, the one used in the WiP is right from the original song.

Glad I could help!

But if they're from the original, that leaves a lot of room for cool new stuff. I'm not the best arranger/remixer, so I'm not the guy to help. But! Once you figure out how to do it, I'm sure great stuff can follow.

If you know what the key "GOOD" thing is, just gotta keep that, but be creative around it. (If the goal is to be a familiar, yet flashy remix)

Glad I could help!

But if they're from the original, that leaves a lot of room for cool new stuff. I'm not the best arranger/remixer, so I'm not the guy to help. But! Once you figure out how to do it, I'm sure great stuff can follow.

If you know what the key "GOOD" thing is, just gotta keep that, but be creative around it. (If the goal is to be a familiar, yet flashy remix)

Thanks man. I'll keep at it!

Well so far I'd have to say that this sounds like a pretty conservative mix so far, there isn't a lot to differentiate it from the original in my opinion. Which is fine if you're going for more of a "cover" feel to it. You deviate a bit in the last 40 secs. or so when you switch up some of the instruments (which I think works well).

The bass feels too boomy and overpowering to me. Like it's just bottoming out too low, which makes it sound almost off-key sometimes. Not sure how to best describe it. I think a more FM-synth sounding bass with a faster attack speed would fit the overall style of the song a bit better and help keep the bass line moving along. The percussion is also pretty static and uninteresting so far, I'd definitely recommend varying that up a bit, adding in some fills, or unison hits, to keep things interesting.

I really enjoy the piano, it's fun, particularly the little grace notes in some of the melody lines. The lead synth is pretty cool too, I really like the sound of it. A solo synth breakdown section that deviates from the main melody would sound pretty cool too in my opinion.

Nice start so far!

Well so far I'd have to say that this sounds like a pretty conservative mix so far, there isn't a lot to differentiate it from the original in my opinion. Which is fine if you're going for more of a "cover" feel to it. You deviate a bit in the last 40 secs. or so when you switch up some of the instruments (which I think works well).

The bass feels too boomy and overpowering to me. Like it's just bottoming out too low, which makes it sound almost off-key sometimes. Not sure how to best describe it. I think a more FM-synth sounding bass with a faster attack speed would fit the overall style of the song a bit better and help keep the bass line moving along. The percussion is also pretty static and uninteresting so far, I'd definitely recommend varying that up a bit, adding in some fills, or unison hits, to keep things interesting.

I really enjoy the piano, it's fun, particularly the little grace notes in some of the melody lines. The lead synth is pretty cool too, I really like the sound of it. A solo synth breakdown section that deviates from the main melody would sound pretty cool too in my opinion.

Nice start so far!

Thanks man! I"m trying to get more of the Sonic feel down with this one. Unfortunately, that keeps me kinda restricted at parts. I'll try and delve a little but more though.

That bass is getting harsh on the ears. I'm trying to find a new one, so good looking out on that one. I'm trying something more so along the lines of VOPM or some good FM sounds. They're really hard to find though.

EDIT: Also, I just got more info from my buddy and he wants it to sound even crazier! Bass change, away!

Nice choice in sounds. I kind of wish they weren't all drowned out by the bass drum, though - you could easily afford to lower the volume on the bass drums and raise the level on everything else accordingly.

Otherwise I like the sound of this one. Yeah, it's conservative, but if you're not shooting for an OCR release then there's no problem. That bass drum kind of kills the mix, though - fix it up so that it's not so loud.

Nice choice in sounds. I kind of wish they weren't all drowned out by the bass drum, though - you could easily afford to lower the volume on the bass drums and raise the level on everything else accordingly.

Otherwise I like the sound of this one. Yeah, it's conservative, but if you're not shooting for an OCR release then there's no problem. That bass drum kind of kills the mix, though - fix it up so that it's not so loud.

Thanks for the comment man. I noticed that just after rendering the song and thought "oh man, is someone gonna point that out?"

On it. :)

Well, if you want it to sound modern, it shouldn't have that square-saw wave at 0:23. That's an 80s type synth, usually. Same with the monophonic saw wave at 2:35.

In general, the piano is getting drowned out of the DnB drums. Although the drums should be heard, they shouldn't overpower everything else. Try raising the velocity response to about 64 if you can.

The square wave hybrid bass is also slightly classic. Maybe something with FM synthesis? Or you could just go for the classic feel. It doesn't necessarily have to be modern. Maybe you don't have the ideas ready for a "modern" mix.

Well, if you want it to sound modern, it shouldn't have that square-saw wave at 0:23. That's an 80s type synth, usually. Same with the monophonic saw wave at 2:35.

In general, the piano is getting drowned out of the DnB drums. Although the drums should be heard, they shouldn't overpower everything else. Try raising the velocity response to about 64 if you can.

The square wave hybrid bass is also slightly classic. Maybe something with FM synthesis? Or you could just go for the classic feel. It doesn't necessarily have to be modern. Maybe you don't have the ideas ready for a "modern" mix.

He wanted me to try for something modern, as he is making a modern stage. The FM is good advice though. I've just gotta get my hands on some good FM sounds now.

Thank you for the critique.