OCR01416 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Cryptic Marble"

djpretzel

Wow, nice work. I liked this a bit more than the judges did, although they gave pretty good marks. The texture here is gorgeous, and the genre adaptation you pulled is pretty darn nifty. The soundscape is immense. I love the compositional choices of the various times for breakdowns and when to throw in the chorus, especially at 3:15 and 3:40.

:nicework:

As I've probably already said elsewhere (many times), I am already a big fan of this song, as well as DistantJ as an artist in particular. I guess this started a while back with the song's predecessor aka one of my favourite songs ever...but anyway, lucky for me this one is better in almost every respect, so good call on giving the mix a revival. I usually don't like it when the source material is too sparse, so fortunately I am happy to report that many parts of the song contain familiar segments. I can't really comment on any technical aspects so I'll stop there.

BTW, you should spend this much time on all your mixes if the result is them sounding this good (production wise I mean...XTC Hill Zone didn't sound as polished but what an insane song nevertheless...)

Final note: why does this beginning remind me of a hybrid level of marble zone and Aquatic Ruin (Sonic 2) :?

maybe that's a good thing...

Got this from VGMix some time back now. I admit, first time I listened to it, I wasn't too thrilled. Then I listened again, and it grew on me from there.

This is one track I don't skip past, and have left on repeat for the better part of an hour on several occasions. F*cking awesome work DistantJ.

Easy 7 (>85%)

Congratulations for your first song on OCR, DistantJ. I already knew you could do that.

Sitar? Hahah, it was very cool with the chinese flute as well. Good use and selection of drums. The synths working around are a nice shot. Everything sounds great for me. I especially love electronic/ethnic pieces. Look at the arrangement on Marble Zone Theme, very unique.

This is my favourite mix of DistantJ. This is also his best stuff. I saw how the effort was proposed. Keep up the good work!

Why do people always go all out on the Sonic ReMixes? Ive noticed that half of my favorites are form that series. I don't understand the reasoning behind the title though.

I am a bit Electronica/Techno biased but I thought the composition was excelent, and the feeling that the melody gave off lent itself well to the oriental themed backgrounds of the song. The insturments/sounds worked out very cleanly with some of the subtlties such as the closinging of the percussion at the end of 4:55 and then the closing of the song with the same notes at 5:10. I enjoyed the atmosphere this song presented as well and created an image in my mind of an '80s styled, hong-kong fighter fighting of the local militia..

Thank you DistantJ

You turned a real repeatative and boring track into an awesome one. Well done.

Eh? Marble Zone is friggin awesome.

Anyways, I must say you did a great job on this track DistantJ. I've heard quite a few remixes of this song and this one really stands out from the rest. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I really wasn't too into the track for about the first minute, but the track's progression is excellent. I really don't like the intro or the ending too much, but the beef of the track is hot. I really dig the ethnic vibe of this track. Great samples, fatty bass... Nice work.

Some of the samples used for the main melody, as well as most of the drums used in the song just didn't fit well with me. There are many good parts to the music, and the production quality is great. The song had depth to it: I liked the atmosphere. But as a whole, the few samples as well as the somewhat sparse melody throughout the run of the song made me give this a lower rating.

072.jpg

great track man, i was always a huge fan of sonic and i feel that this is definately a great interpretation of the marble zone theme. I thought most of the sounds fit great, definitely had had atmosphere of ruins. the cliche japanese flute riff was a little hokey but other than that I thought it was a great song.

good stuff man.

Not a bad take on the Marble Zone theme at all. Being the Sonic fan that I am, I fell hard for djp's ReMix. I never thought I'd live to see the day that someone could match the level djp did. Josh Morse came rather close, and until this point I thought that's about as good as it would get. But you did it, and took it in a whole new, ethnic direction. Although Morse's and djp's mixes rock hard in their own respects, this on adds its own, unique flavor to the song.

Some gripes are that it is a tad repetative at some moments, but that's a small deal. My second complaint is the beat in the beginning lasts too long. Other than that, though, you've got one genuinely awesome mix. If this is first time OCR stuff, I can't wait to see what you bring to the board in the future. Great job.

8.7/10

I'v been waiting for a sweet mix of this theme to surface for awhile now...been watching closely waiting to pounce :P

This is more than I hoped for. I think the orientalish sound thing going on in the back now and then is hella creative. Great mix. I'll enjoy it for many listens to come.

Well done.

I'll be honest in saying that this is the first track to jump out at me in a couple months. It is a bit long and repetative but the textures are pretty deep and things flow well.

This theme is a good un' and you did a great job mixing it. Thanks for making me happy.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01416 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Cryptic Marble"