OCR02471 - No More Heroes "The 51st"

djpretzel

I'm sure I'll take some flack for this, and I'm sorry if I'm the lone dissenting voice, but here's my two cents: I'm not a fan. The same lead synth permeates the track throughout (and it's a bit grating), and the bass work is pretty ADHD and unpolished. The mix sounds flat to me, and the drums are, I'd venture, way too simple and dry for this genre. Personally, I'm a bit confused as to the panel's decision on this one. I'm sure I'm missing something, but what is it?

I'm sure I'll take some flack for this, and I'm sorry if I'm the lone dissenting voice, but here's my two cents: I'm not a fan. The same lead synth permeates the track throughout (and it's a bit grating), and the bass work is pretty ADHD and unpolished. The mix sounds flat to me, and the drums are, I'd venture, way too simple and dry for this genre. Personally, I'm a bit confused as to the panel's decision on this one. I'm sure I'm missing something, but what is it?

I'd say it's the judges attempting to welcome a fledgling new musical genre. A hotly debated one, but also attempting to fill in with newer games.

I have to agree with Flexstyle here. The whole thing sounded quite bland to me. Although I'm not familiar with the source, I think this could have used much more firepower both in arrangement and production.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I can't say I dig. :(

Gratz on getting posted though ^_^ I'm sure there's a lot of work behind this. ;)

The mix sounds flat to me, and the drums are, I'd venture, way too simple and dry for this genre. Personally, I'm a bit confused as to the panel's decision on this one. I'm sure I'm missing something, but what is it?

If halc liked it then you MUST be wrong :-) If you check the decision thread you'll notice there were some reservations. No one was claiming this was the second coming or a landmark example of dubstep on OCR, just that it was a solid take on the source that was interpretive enough. I didn't find it bland or simple, but then again I'm an old man who's going to be wearing adult diapers soon (hyperbole), so perhaps my input threshold has less bandwidth to begin with. At any rate, I liked it, I'll listen to it again, and it makes me think of the very unique universe of No More Heroes, so there's three metrics right there that make me pretty comfortable with the panel's close call.

Interesting style going on with the song - it doesn't rely as strongly on short catchy glitch effects like with most dubstep, and isn't as heavy on the low end overall (although there's a lot in the mid-lows). The arrangement sounds a bit on the static side, and personally, a bit stale/incomplete. Not a groundbreaking song, but not bad either.

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty middle of the road on this one. While I enjoyed the ReMix and would listen to it again, probably several times, it just wasn't one of my favorites. Still, it's always nice to hear a dubstepish mix that isn't grating or annoying, so plenty of positives going on for this mix. Not bad.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02471 - No More Heroes "The 51st"