"The Goddess Gets Groovy" (The Goddess Appears/Great Fairy Mountain Remix)

NEW UPDATED VERSION HERE:

https://soundcloud.com/gwilliamson/the-goddess-gets-groovy-v-4

Hey guys. Did this remix and wanted to know if you guys thought it was any good. I want to submit it to the site and hope it gets evaluated, but I want to see what you guys think about it before trying to submit it. It is sort of influenced by "Chamber of the Goddess" remix by Disasterpiece, found in the 25YearLegend ocremix Legend of Zelda album, though I gave it a harder and more funky feel to it, and less acid jazz. I guess to put it simple, it's a lot harder, especially on the drums. Although it is inspired by that remix, I believe personally that it is heavily different. So yeah, what do you guys think? Link to remix: http://soundcloud.com/gwilliamson/goddesses-and-fairies-remix

Eggshaker and syncopation all over the place. :D

I was expecting a bass or a thicker lead or something at 0:44 when the snare comes in. Nope. Instead, it keeps sounding empty. Disasterpiece had a big warm pad in there, and longer release on his bells/vibes/whatever.

First half sounds too empty. It seems to work as an intro, but not for half the track. I feel like I could skip from 0:44 to 2:32, which is more than half the track. There's parts in there, like the pizzicato building that might fit elsewhere in a new arrangement...

So yeah, the arrangement doesn't work. There's some really cool ideas in here, you just need to either place them in a different order and add stuff, or simply add stuff to the arrangement you've got.

It is. Now it's actually funky. :D

For additional funk, you can do more with syncopation. You can have not just the drums, but also the chord ostinato stagger in the same way, skipping the last note and beginning on the syncopated beat, pausing until the second note... basically following the drums. Any and all instruments _can_ do this.

Cool stuff. :D

I don't know if it's just me, but the drums are ridiculously loud, especially the kick. The synth bass (or whatever it is, begins at 0:50) sounds a bit weird IMO, maybe drop it one octave.

The part with the strings sounds pretty, even though the whistle sounding sample is a bit quiet. Pizzicato is an interesting choice, but the drums and bass become repetitive by now.

The harmonies in the next section are interesting and give the arrangement a new feeling, but then the drums, bass and guitar kick in doing the exact same thing they've done during all the song...

Overall, the song does what you intended it to do, it is funky! However, at least to me, it feels repetitive and has some balancing issues.

• 6 months later...

So I tried submitting this but they no likey, but they said I was off to a good start and Ben Briggs told me to continue working on it because apparently he and his followers on SoundCloud really enjoyed it. ^_^

LINK: https://soundcloud.com/gwilliamson/the-goddess-gets-groovy-v-2

So I went back and did some stuff to it.

-The awkward fake acoustic guitar on the low-end was replaced with electric piano

-The mix has been updated and is better now

-More variation in the song

--Added in soft piano in places

--Changed beat and bass near the end

--Added in another vibe solo near the end

-"Un-perfected" for realism

Yup. So tell me what you think about it. I'd love feedback because I may try re-submitting this to the judges and hope that it may make it to the judges panel and they will hopefully accept it.

So yeah. Feedbackz meh.

I like this, what a creative idea. There are some really unique inspired ideas here. There will absolutely need to be more drum variation, the same kick/snare/shaker combo gets old. At a minimum, it needs some soft crashes at the transition points! I think there may be crashes in here, but wow are they quiet. Change up the shaker pattern at least by 1:33, better yet, make it a different instrument altogether, and some different patterns, to accent the different moods of each section.

I'm not sold on that bass. I know it is meant to be funky, but it just sounds a bit flabby and out of place to me... personal opinion. Also, bass writing could be varied here and there, it's very static.

My main gripe about the song is the leads. When they play, they are buried. At 1:33, there is a piano playing. I don't think it is meant to lead there, but what if it did? Push the fairy melody back a bit, bring that piano forward and do something more original with it. Right now it is just a jumble of countermelodies with no focus. Go through the song slowly and carefully, considering what is the main focus at each point that the listener should be paying attention to, then bring that out.

That break at 1:57 is my favorite part! The staccato strings and new chords are gorgeous. But there is that *same* shaker, yawn! Even changing that to a soft hi hat would give variation. Or what about just a few triangle hits? Just something different. And at 2:09, there is an opportunity to introduce some new kind of lead over the established instrumentation, something soulful and louder than the background!

Again at 2:22, just background and no lead. You could do a mini-lead melody here, getting us ready for the lead solo that follows at 2:33. I like the snare break that leads up to 2:33 a lot, the song needs more of this kind of thing!

Harp could use just a drop more reverb. Just a drop!

I hope you keep going, I really like the ideas you've got here!

I like this, what a creative idea. There are some really unique inspired ideas here. There will absolutely need to be more drum variation, the same kick/snare/shaker combo gets old. At a minimum, it needs some soft crashes at the transition points! I think there may be crashes in here, but wow are they quiet. Change up the shaker pattern at least by 1:33, better yet, make it a different instrument altogether, and some different patterns, to accent the different moods of each section.

I'm not sold on that bass. I know it is meant to be funky, but it just sounds a bit flabby and out of place to me... personal opinion. Also, bass writing could be varied here and there, it's very static.

My main gripe about the song is the leads. When they play, they are buried. At 1:33, there is a piano playing. I don't think it is meant to lead there, but what if it did? Push the fairy melody back a bit, bring that piano forward and do something more original with it. Right now it is just a jumble of countermelodies with no focus. Go through the song slowly and carefully, considering what is the main focus at each point that the listener should be paying attention to, then bring that out.

That break at 1:57 is my favorite part! The staccato strings and new chords are gorgeous. But there is that *same* shaker, yawn! Even changing that to a soft hi hat would give variation. Or what about just a few triangle hits? Just something different. And at 2:09, there is an opportunity to introduce some new kind of lead over the established instrumentation, something soulful and louder than the background!

Again at 2:22, just background and no lead. You could do a mini-lead melody here, getting us ready for the lead solo that follows at 2:33. I like the snare break that leads up to 2:33 a lot, the song needs more of this kind of thing!

Harp could use just a drop more reverb. Just a drop!

I hope you keep going, I really like the ideas you've got here!

Thanks for advice. I'll go back and work on it a bit.

Despite the name of the track, I'm not really feeling the drums and bass.

Wow, ok. I'll probably go back and work a bit on the drums. I may completely change bass arrangement. I'll figure it out.

UPDATED AGEHN.

https://soundcloud.com/gwilliamson/the-goddess-gets-groovy-3-v-3

Sorry, timeaus, changed bass. Ain't no fretless no more. :P

-New and better bassline

-More variation and licks and such

-More variation to end

-New synth lead solo

Probably something else as well. I didn't do much to the piano. Thinking about getting some guitar on this.

Whoa, where'd da bass go??? I like the new bass writing but it is so quiet I can barely hear it! Bring it up, but be careful to cut the low frequencies below 35-40Hz out.

I like the added grooviness! I like that synth solo at the end! (sounds a lot like, nah... haha!) I think you could begin the solo at 2:21 though, start out tame and get groovier after 2:33. 2:21 - 2:33 is a lost opportunity otherwise.

The snare is still a touch loud and is also dry. Some extra snare variation would be good. With varied velocities. (not the same hit each time)

Also, I'm hearing some moments of overcompression/clipping, like the harp in the intro, and even the bell lead that starts at 0:20. Make sure those aren't getting limited too hard. Make sure the overall track isn't getting limited too hard, it does sound hot in several places. If so, you'll have to go back and rebalance some things.

It's improving! Nice work.

Whoa, where'd da bass go??? I like the new bass writing but it is so quiet I can barely hear it! Bring it up, but be careful to cut the low frequencies below 35-40Hz out.

I like the added grooviness! I like that synth solo at the end! (sounds a lot like, nah... haha!) I think you could begin the solo at 2:21 though, start out tame and get groovier after 2:33. 2:21 - 2:33 is a lost opportunity otherwise.

The snare is still a touch loud and is also dry. Some extra snare variation would be good. With varied velocities. (not the same hit each time)

Also, I'm hearing some moments of overcompression/clipping, like the harp in the intro, and even the bell lead that starts at 0:20. Make sure those aren't getting limited too hard. Make sure the overall track isn't getting limited too hard, it does sound hot in several places. If so, you'll have to go back and rebalance some things.

It's improving! Nice work.

Um... do you have bass-heavy speakers? Because I replaced the older bass for a newer one so there was a bigger bass. The bass is way louder now, dude. :P The low-end is way higher.

As for the synth lead, that sounds like a good idea.

Snare... meh? I honestly think it's at a perfect level. I don't really want to turn it down any more. As for dry, I'll try something, but the velocities are a little different. You don't want it too different because a real pro drummer tries to play the snare at nearly the same perfect velocity every time he hits it. Especially with rim-shots like that.

I get the thing with the harp and glock. I thought I heard that too. I'll go back and work on that.

Um... do you have bass-heavy speakers? Because I replaced the older bass for a newer one so there was a bigger bass. The bass is way louder now, dude. :P The low-end is way higher.

Well I only listened on my headphones... I'll give it a better listen on my monitors later, I have some workmen here today and they are making quite a racket... so I'll reserve judgment on the bass level until later! It's possible the new bass just need to be a little tighter.

edit: listening on monitors - the bass is still inaudible, maybe not due to volume but as I said it isn't tight. I can't discern what melody it is playing, not without straining my ears. It is there, nice and low but indistinct. The previous bass timbre was almost better in this regard. You could try emphasizing the fundamental frequency with eq, and cutting out extreme lows and also some mud from 200-400ish Hz. Or, try layering this bass with another that has some pluck sounds that will make it more audible. If that makes sense!

Another snare idea... why not start the snare transition earlier than 2:20? Just a few groovy hits before.

Well I only listened on my headphones... I'll give it a better listen on my monitors later, I have some workmen here today and they are making quite a racket... so I'll reserve judgment on the bass level until later! It's possible the new bass just need to be a little tighter.

edit: listening on monitors - the bass is still inaudible, maybe not due to volume but as I said it isn't tight. I can't discern what melody it is playing, not without straining my ears. It is there, nice and low but indistinct. The previous bass timbre was almost better in this regard. You could try emphasizing the fundamental frequency with eq, and cutting out extreme lows and also some mud from 200-400ish Hz. Or, try layering this bass with another that has some pluck sounds that will make it more audible. If that makes sense!

Another snare idea... why not start the snare transition earlier than 2:20? Just a few groovy hits before.

I really don't get it. The bass is booming nice and clear in my speakers. I wanted a more sub sound so that you mainly hear the low end. And I'm obsessed with bass. I can't get enough of it. So I'm not completely sure I trust your speakers. xD

As for the snare, will try something out.