Boomer Kuwanger Remix! (Mega Man X)

K-Dubs

Ooo, one of my favorite MMX sources. My first attempt at a remix on a proper DAW was with this track, in fact.

Welp, you're right - it's certainly too loud. Everything is clipping like crazy on this thing. I'd suggest fixing that up to where you'd think is an acceptable level, so that people like myself can give you some helpful advice on production. As it stands, you say you know it's bad, so I can't say much to help until you get it to where you think it's "good".

I like the arrangement and instrument choices on this, though - it's got a nice bounce to it. I suppose there isn't much to say on this yet except clean it up and finish the arrangement. From there I'll be able to give you some proper feedback.

I suppose there isn't much to say on this yet except clean it up and finish the arrangement. From there I'll be able to give you some proper feedback.

well.. it's still not there of course. i still haven't mixed it properly yet or mastered it completely, but i finished a lot more of the arrangement. and to be honest i'm not quite sure how i feel about it.

and the end is kinda abrupt and random, but thats just cause i tacked it on there, im still probably gonna change the ending..

but anyway! i would love some feedback on what you think! what needs to change mixing-wise, and what needs to change arrangement-wise. cause i know its a bit of a stretch right now. so just fill me in! :) thanks.

Well, see, my suggestion is to mix it properly. Right now everything is on 'Loud' mode - you need to prioritize and raise/lower volumes based on what you think is important, in general. Otherwise all of your instruments are going to be fighting for attention, which is just hard for an audience to listen to.

There's also the issue that the whole thing just sounds like it's clipping like insane crazy - that's just a volume issue that'll be partly corrected by your mixing. Look at your levels and make sure you're not cutting out too much, as it sounds like it all is, right now. If you're working with a limiter on the track, disable the limiter and work on the track until you don't see red anymore, then you can mess with the limiter to get a little extra volume out of it.

I notice a lot of reverb on the instruments. Be careful with reverb - too much of it on any instrument and it'll be much more difficult to bring it into a mix without creating a lot of mud. If you really need all the reverb, at least put an EQ on it and ease up on the frequencies that would overlap on the instrument heavily.

The ending is a little weak, but I could see it working, when everything is cleaned up. The arrangement is a little bit on the long side, but I think it works alright, actually. Some of the stuff in the later half may be too liberal for OCR, but I think you could find a way to keep it all connected if you weave more source into it.

Otherwise, yeah, primarily is a mixing/mastering issue. I'm guessing you already know about most of it, but you wanted me to lay it out, so there ya go. Keep at it, man.

Thank you so much man. I really appreciate the time you've taken to listen to it and let me know what you think. I will definitely put another good 6 hours into mixing it and eq-ing it all. And thanks for letting me know about the reverb cause i've listened to it so many hundreds of times i kinda dont hear some of that little stuff anymore. If that makes any sense. Anyway thanks a ton man and im exciited to fiinish it up and give you a more listenable version. You've helped me realizr what i need to do. :)!

• 2 weeks later...

In the beginning until 1:02, the kick, IMO, is too loud. Try to lower the volume, but boost the most powerful frequencies it has by about 1.5 dB.

1:48 - 1:58 is begging for a proper chord progression. If you try, I think you can make what is expected from the melody you put there. If you do it correctly, it'll sound very cool.

At 2:12, the wub takes too long to fade out. Try doubling the LFO speed at that spot only, using MIDI CC perhaps, and automating a fade out yourself. Fade it out faster, because it's blocking out the keys instrument playing that arpeggio.

The breakdown at 2:12 also feels somewhat bare. Maybe increase the wet on the reverb a bit for the keys instrument? It needs some spacial presence.

The kick that comes in at 2:40 also seems to have unnecessary frequencies. It might be in the middle between the low mids and mids (I have no reference considering I'm not home). Try adding a band notch filter in that range and seeing how it works out for you. Also, you should replace the snare there, if that's a snare. It sounds so similar to the kick. Definitely add some more high end punch to it.

At 3:09, things start to really get muddy. It's usually because there's too much in the low mids, so try checking that out, as well as everywhere else. Just this section first, though. If you do it correctly, it should work decently enough anywhere else. Play each instrument individually and draw out the ranges somewhere, and compare them to decide what frequencies to drop out and how much.

It could just be because since the snare would create a good amount of the highs, without a good snare it only "feels" like it's low passed. That just means you should bring back in some higher frequencies in the main backing instruments. Right now it feels like the kick is the main problem, followed by the snare, then the dubstep wobbles that come in to hog the soundscape (of course, it only feels that way because of the overcompression).

At 4:04, you definitely don't want THAT much of a low pass on the drums like you have now. Instead of reducing a low pass on the drums for a transition, try reducing a high pass for a transition.

The last thing is to really bring out the lead and work more on the ending. The lead sounds pretty good though.

You don't have to do everything, but the majority of this is quite necessary to fix up the production. Good luck!