Street Fighter II - M Bisons theme

OneUp

I won PRC 175 with this (I was the only one submitting :D) and had forgotten about it. It's a melodic tranceish remix of M Bisons theme in Street Fighter II. I think it turned out really nice. Submittable?

Source:

Version 1: http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC175

Version 2: https://www.box.com/s/p31n5cpehleq7lbck5dq

Version 3: https://www.box.com/s/cok1j3bkmchy4r8jv1bc - Mod review.

Edited by OneUp

• 5 weeks later...

You can do "edit" and "go advanced" to change the header thing thing.

I don't have much to add from before when I commented on the PRC thread.. I love the piece, but it's very hard to hear the source in it. I think I hear the first melody in the source (00:10) first coming in at 01:00 of this version. But I'm not really making the connection as a whole. On its own, I really, really enjoy the piece though.

The atmosphere of the piece is amazing.. it feels like this piece really has character and identity. It evokes this sort of strange sense of, hmm, desperation.. and also of space. Heh, can't seem to put it better than that. Also I really love the SIDalicious lead sound coming in around 02:30.

--Eino

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps it's just me...but great production values aside the source is hardly there. Perhaps in the chords but... this almost comes across as more of an original work than anything; a pretty good one mind you.

Length is good, it's varied enough in my opinion so aside from making the source a bit more clear I don't have any real gripes.

Perhaps it's just me...but great production values aside the source is hardly there. Perhaps in the chords but... this almost comes across as more of an original work than anything; a pretty good one mind you.

Length is good, it's varied enough in my opinion so aside from making the source a bit more clear I don't have any real gripes.

Thank you :)

I swear that almost every single part of the source is in there, although brief and a tad altered, but I totally know what you mean. I've tried to make it more obvious but it's hard to keep the flow of the track :(

EDIT: I guess you too was referring to that dubstep track? Sorry for that :(

Edited by OneUp

Whoooooo. This is fuckin sick! Big ol grin(smile) on my face. Nothin constructive, just wanted to let you know that I'm droolin over this lol xD. Some of those wobbles sound pretty liquid I was lovin it. I'm kinda havin a hard time pickin out the source in some parts myself. A breakdown would probably help, if you feel like doin it. You could post it here and just copy and paste if you decide to sub it. And I totally understand the need to keep the flow of the song together. You're not finished with it yet though are you? The song ended kinda abruptly and I was sad when it did, I wanted s'more lol xD.

Whoooooo. This is fuckin sick! Big ol grin(smile) on my face. Nothin constructive, just wanted to let you know that I'm droolin over this lol xD. Some of those wobbles sound pretty liquid I was lovin it. I'm kinda havin a hard time pickin out the source in some parts myself. A breakdown would probably help, if you feel like doin it. You could post it here and just copy and paste if you decide to sub it. And I totally understand the need to keep the flow of the song together. You're not finished with it yet though are you? The song ended kinda abruptly and I was sad when it did, I wanted s'more lol xD.

Hahahaha, I was like, wut, wobbles? Then I see that I linked the wrong track :D

Thanks anyway, that was an older original song of mine, maybe I'll try to finish it now!

(Changed the link in the original post to the right one, this was the one BlackPanther was referring to: https://www.box.com/s/8e0u4ssq9cp8z8ge7kcw)

Edited by OneUp

Oh well there we go! This sounds lovely. If it were me, I would bring up the snare a bit as it kinda gets washed out in some parts like the end section when the other elements come in. There are no problems with the source as it's clear as day, the Bison elements. I'm totally diggin this though I love the way this sounds I'll be dancing and enjoyin this for quite some time.

And yes, please finish that other song as well, haha!

=D

Oh well there we go! This sounds lovely. If it were me, I would bring up the snare a bit as it kinda gets washed out in some parts like the end section when the other elements come in. There are no problems with the source as it's clear as day, the Bison elements. I'm totally diggin this though I love the way this sounds I'll be dancing and enjoyin this for quite some time.

And yes, please finish that other song as well, haha!

=D

Thanks for the input, I agree, probably should change or layer that clap!

Nice to hear about the source aswell!

I did one last edit before going into mod review. Mostly changes of EQ and effects.

Version 3: https://www.box.com/s/cok1j3bkmchy4r8jv1bc

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - So you mean to tell me I was listening to the wrong song this entire time? XD Okay - NOW I can hear what I should be hearing; and still, nice job here man. No real critique here - everything sounds as it should as far as I'm concerned so keep it up : o

Haha, yes, sorry about that :P

Thanks!

Great to see an update on this. I kind of liked the more sombre, sparser sound in the compo submission, but the increased (obvious) source bits are quite welcome in the OCR context.

--Eino

I agree with you, it might even sound a little messy now.

Edited by OneUp

• 7 months later...

This got noed with source and some production crits, but I certainly would love to see it on the front page, and I wouldn't mind to hear another version myself (with, indeed, more ties to the original - which I'm obviously fond of, else I wouldn't have selected it as a source for the PRC round - thanks again for covering it!), so I hope you give it another iteration OneUp!

--Eino

This got noed with source and some production crits, but I certainly would love to see it on the front page, and I wouldn't mind to hear another version myself (with, indeed, more ties to the original - which I'm obviously fond of, else I wouldn't have selected it as a source for the PRC round - thanks again for covering it!), so I hope you give it another iteration OneUp!

--Eino

Definitely echoing Eino's comments; I WANT to see this posted in some form. The source usage criticism matters so much more than the production criticism. That submission with more obvious source tune connections added would have passed with that same level of production. I really hope you're willing to revisit this one at some point, it really is awesome. If not though, it's still a sweet piece of music!