Learn about traditional Japanese music.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good way to learn about traditional japanese music? I really want to buy http://impactsoundworks.com/products/instrumental/koto-nation-classical-instruments-of-japan but I have no idea about how to write for those instruments or about the type of music in general. I'm assuming it doesn't use the same tonal system as western music. Are there any books on the subject that are good? So far all I've found is http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Japanese-Musical-Instruments-Yamaguchi/dp/4770023952/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344497147&sr=1-2&keywords=Japanese+music which looks like it could be what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure and not ready to make a $75 gamble.

So, does anyone have any advice?

Studying traditional Japanese music was a passion of mine when i was younger. Or rather, wanting to study traditional japanese music was a passion of mine.

If you are looking to pick up an actual instrument like the shakuhachi or koto you are going to fall back alot on what you already know about music and that's not a bad thing. Most of the differences you will encounter are pretty superficial. You already know it's a Dminor pentatonic scale but it's just called something different. (Ro, Tsu, Re, Chi, Ri, and Ro again being the octave. Differences in the octave are labeled Otsu or Kan. So to make this vg related: Western Music Theory can do what Traditionaldon't. Though learning things the traditional way can be thrilling if you are a nihon nut like myself. Unless you are planning on just sticking with a sample library and a keyboard, in which case this reply is missing the point entirely. :)

Now if you are asking about the differences in writing technique, performance, styles, or possible interpretations of written Japanese music then i can't really say anything more as i'm still trying to figure that part out. :) Never having played a pipe instrument before i have been struggling to learn the shakuhachi for the last 5 months.

I strongly recommend listening as much as possible. This is a good place to start

which is a fantastic album combining traditional japanese music with western music.

Then working your way to the really traditional stuff which is a little more of an aquired taste. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--z1NwoloSw

Somewhere in between that you'll eventually be able to add authentic Japanese flavor to your mixes. So that someone else who is listening to it will be able to say "Hey this sounds Chinese!" :)

*slap*

Thanks guys!

I strongly recommend listening as much as possible. This is a good place to start

which is a fantastic album combining traditional japanese music with western music.

Then working your way to the really traditional stuff which is a little more of an aquired taste. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--z1NwoloSw

Thanks, will give them a listen. I've already been listening to a lot of stuff, like

, which is what got me interested in learning more about the music in the first place.

An example of how NOT to use japanese influences:

Me and Cain (Fishy) used to have a challenge to try and sit through the entire 'instructional' DVD, neither of us have succeeded yet

That opening 30 seconds was more than i could take. He seemed to be trying to communicate something by bouncing his bald spot around but i don't think she was getting it. I know i didn't. :)

Experimentation is great. In small doses. and not paying for it. :)