Super Mario 64 Bower Medley

Steele

the mixdown is somewhat messy, i feel. also sounds like nothing but sytrus presets from fruityloops, if you are indeed using FLS play around with the mixer board (f9) its crucial. you have inspired me to go play super mario 64 now, brbafk :grin:

It doesn't sound bad but it is lacking a lot of originality in my opinion.

You basically grabbed the 3 sources, put one after the other with abrupt transitions and then inserted synthetic sounding samples to play the melodies...

The sounds are okay, but it really lacks some innovation, unless it is meant to be a cover. I'd recommend you to experiment with the melodies and, if you're making a medley, to work on a way to actually mix the tracks, instead of putting one after the other without a real connection.

First off, the mix isn't quite right. I think that's one of your main problems. Also I'm not a huge fan of the squelchy synth.

Although, I really like the bass sound, and I like the progressive house style synth at around 2:37.

I have to ask if you made all these sounds yourself, or if they are presets?

First off, Try EQing in some more highs. Also, for me personally, the drums are a little too loud. As far as mixing in general goes. Try setting the bass kick to about -8 db, it shouldn't really ever go above that. Then the hat and snare should be a bit below that. Then work off that to get the volumes right for everything else. Also making your own sounds is a HUGE part of it. It's a ton easier to just pick out some sounds that sound cool. But if your going to do that, make sure you pay attention as to how those sounds are made, so as you make more music you can build off of that to make your own sounds. One last thing, I'm not quite sure, but I might be hearing some default drum sounds?

Good taste in source music, I have to say.

Here are some things I would focus on as you look for ways to improve:

1. Steer away from presets-- they're very identifiable and limit how much personality you can infuse into a song. It's hard to build up your own bank of sounds from scratch, but if you take the time to tweak things and make them your own, it will make your songs sound way more interesting.

2. I would try to get away from medleys and focus on remixing one source tune at a time. This will allow you to fully develop the remix around the source, to re-arrange it and add something creatively to it. With medleys (unless the songs are particularly well-chosen), you simply run out of time/space to do any kind of variation on the source, and it encourages you to do covers. Not to disparage covers... they are a valuable learning tool, imo, though others may disagree. But ultimately you want to get away from copy/paste and add something musical of your own (not just "off to the side" in the way of transitions, but something that adds to and enhances the source in a significant way).

Really though, a good start. =)

Along with the other feedback you've already received, I think the biggest thing that stands out to me is that all your instruments seem to be centered. Panning some of them more would probably help a lot in separating the sounds so they don't blob together as much.

Wow, cant wait to hear the finished product, This has promise, agree with a lot of the feedback, rather then having one song after the other play try and mix them into each other a lot more, makes it more fun to listen to and pick out all the parts.

at 3 mins in I could TOTALLY picture a dark sounding choir coming into the mix.