OCR00475 - Mega Man 4 "Let There Be Light"

Ginnsu

I can't believe I didn't review this a year ago - This was one of the first mixes I got off WinMX that compelled me to go to this site.

AmIEvil has done some excellent work with other mixes, but this is one of the best of them all. The title is extremely fitting to the atmosphere of the mix - Slow, dark and electronic. Very fine attention to detail, and an awesome remix overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
]
I really think this REMIX is really cool and all, I really do, and I have played MM4, but....I can´t recognize the song!!WHY?!!! :banghead:

I think it was in Dustman's level

Since djpretzel kindly said that and also put it in the remix info, I kind of knew that. My real question was more like I couldn´t recognize it even when I knew what track it was. AmIEvil has really transformed the original into something almost unrecognizable, I gotta give him credit for that, and he manages to pull it off with many different synths and a good variation of beats. The dark and heavy drums that picked up at 0:38 gave this piece some more power indicating that it now had gotten into its rhytm. The strings that then followed was simply beautiful, and as everyone already said, this is good enough to be music to moviescores.

But my favorite part is still at 1:49, the synth fitted into that trippy melody perfectly, it was the reason that I downloaded this remix. I may not hear the theme so well, but AmIEvil compensates all of it by giving us one fantastic arrangement that works like a scratch behind your ears. This is the result of a true remixer.

• 1 year later...

I just heard this for the first time today and dug it - a good mix. I didn't think that it was quite as amazing as everyone else did/does, but that's cool. The production was awesome, great industrial feel... some seriously tasty moments with the actual Dust Man theme; I didn't realize how many idiosyncracies there are in the original piece until I heard this remix. However, for me, it was a bit static - didn't seem to have a lot of forward momentum. Maybe it's cool to chill to? Maybe that's the arranger's intention? I don't know, it was cool, but didn't blow me away.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Beautiful gated synth up in here. Seriously that is one of my personal musical weakness, along with tambourine and other weird things. ANyways, I think the kettle drums here really add that certain 'je ne sais quoi' that sets this mix apart from other atmospheric adventures, and subtle panning and a cool quasi-harp keep the interesting elements coming. I think a lot of AmIEvil's work is a bit hit or miss, but there's no mistaking that he was a big name in early OCR, and this song is most definitely a 'hit'. Nice work dude, and thanks for helping to make OCR what it is today. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really digging that percussion; it seems vaguely out of place yet just so right. lol

This has a really unique hollow feel to it, which really doesn't detract from it but rather adds to the personality of this mix. Really, this song has a lot of textural value both to the ears and almost tangibly so. While it feels deceptively simple, it is an amazing song to listen to.

• 1 year later...

Way too liberal in terms of arrangement. Trying to connect the dots between this and the Mega Man 4 score is a complex amount of detective work, and it shouldn't be like that. The music itself is amazing, but I really think that a large aspect is missing here: The videogames. It's a stretch to call this a mix... its more Music Inspired By Mega Man 4.

But like I said, it's GREAT music. I recognise the percussion from one of the earlier Bjork albums, and its used to very good effect. It definitely gives the mix gravitas. The strings and synths serve the mix well too, and it all equates to a terrific, moody piece of music. But it obviously had a lot more focus on being produced well than representing the game it's meant to be derived from.

• 2 months later...

This is one of my favorite songs from OCRemix, ever. I've loved this song since I downloaded it when it was posted so many years ago. And yes, I'm calling it a song not a remix because it hardly is a remix, but its a great song nonetheless. You have to listen VERY carefully to get a glimpse of the dustman theme.

I recommend this one because it has aged really well and it's still top notch material.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00475 - Mega Man 4 "Let There Be Light"
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

One of the greatest songs of early OCR. I've been enjoying this one for a long while now. Dust Man's theme is barely recognizable for sure, but boy, this doesn't make this track less amazing at all. Sound design is way too good for 2001, I should say. Huge drums in the background combined with steady beat, cold pads and synths create a dark and brooding atmosphere. Every section is pretty much on point, the dynamics are just incredible. This remix make me feel like something dramatic, something inevitable is coming. Don't miss this one!

P.S. I'm also surprised nobody mentioned this video. Can't think of a better clip for a videogame remix.