Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

Alright, I think I tweaked it enough so that the city stands out a bit more without looking too purple. I guess in the end it'll be up to what Darke prefers, though.

GMRBSig5.png

Ultimately, adjusting the colors is the easy part. Any thoughts on the other elements?

Other than the need for a black 1 pixel border I've got nothing for the moment. I'll take a look at it again later g see if anything else occurs :-)

I dont know, but I think the background looks a little too cluttered with the music notes and the cityscape. I'd ditch the cityscape and then just incorporate some multi-toned or textured colored backgrounds to break up the monotony. Like what DS did with the badges, have some different shades of blue and red with some overlays and patterns. Maybe even use the same thing for consistency. Just my 2 cents.

I think the musical notes look really bad in your sig design. Also your text looks like it's using font smoothing but you're trying to use pixel fonts. They end up blurry. Look at the badges; all the text is clear, sharp pixel fonts with very little in terms of effects. Don't use serifed fonts either.

Using so many blending options on fonts like for the remixer's name doesn't look good either. I don't know why anyone uses embossed text anymore. Don't go overboard with that kind of stuff.

Also there are jpeg artifacts all over the maverick official art. City backgrounds don't look good either; there's a little too much noise on top of them too.

Don't put a one pixel black border around the sig either; put a white one pixel border that's one pixel inside the border and change the layer from Normal to Overlay, Screen, or Soft Light.

I just wanted to say that I approve of Nana being one of the sig badges for this round. She is by far and away my favorite navigator in the series.

Nana's badge is the bracket-neutral badge for the entire tournament. There will probably be one more badge for the final round but I didn't decide who I want it to be yet.

Edited by DarkeSword

Yeah, I'm definitely finishing mine and subbing it. I did some more work on it last night in fact. It's just gonna take a while to cut all of these opera vocals. I must've been crazy to ever think I could finish it before the deadline, lol.

I've got to second what people are saying about the first round: Lot of good mixes! (Especially on the arrangement side of things.) I listened to them all last night and jeez voting is going to be hard. I think I've only been able to make up my mind on 1 matchup so far, and even that one was close.

I had a pretty tough time figuring out my vote. I have a tendency to give preference for full arrangements over polished lesser arrangements in general, but Ben didn't have one overly short either, and had enough meat for me to weigh giving my vote to him - if it were only 3 minutes he wouldn't have my vote for sure :razz: . Was not a huge fan of the implementation in his song but there was enough other stuff going on that I gave it to him - I actually wasn't going to vote for him on first listen!

I really like the badges, Darke! Nice and saturated just within the boundaries of good taste;D Only thing that puzzles me is the choice of artwork for Nana, since that's actually fanart-that-looks-like-official-art. It's close enough, but for the sake of consistency - with the badges at least - I figured you'd prefer all official images.

Edited by rnn

I really like the badges, Darke! Nice and saturated just within the boundaries of good taste;D Only thing that puzzles me is the choice of artwork for Nana, since that's actually fanart-that-looks-like-official-art. It's close enough, but for the sake of consistency - with the badges at least - I figured you'd prefer all official images.

Well, it's the pic that is shown on the Nana article in the Knowledge Base. http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Nana

I think he just stylized it and saturated it.

I actually didn't know it was fanart. D:

You've still got the whole week, don't give yet!

Also, Devastus has encouraged me to work on the song with his help on my music fundamentals and trying to better incorporate the two themes that I had first round.

And thanks Bahamut for the feedback. I'll definitely be considering those things when I continue sculpting this block.

The rest of the stuff in the gallery on the MMKB page for her is official art, at least. It's interesting to note that there seem to be a few pieces out there of Nana that look very close to the official stuff, like this one by Liline. I don't think it's a big deal, as I like the idea of some crossover between the fan art and the fan remix community, which is something djp was discussing in terms of the site mascots. Proper artist credit should be in order, though.

Ouch, I just noticed that MMKB removed the artist signature by Nana's leg from the original piece. That's a big no-no.