Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

my short, ineffectual, and frankly uninteresting to anyone reasons why I voted since I can't say in the thing:

InferiorG's track was good, and I enjoyed it, but Pathetic Villain hit that vein in me that loves sexy glitch tracks, so I couldn't vote any other way.

Potatoes Macintosh's track has such a funky flow it makes me happy. JackLzrd71's wasn't bad, but didn't really make me feel any emotions while listening...

The vocals on BLT's track kinda ruined it for me, which sucks cuz I really like Flame Stag. Mrs. M's(or should I call you Momma Luigi?) feels short, but hits that chord I love in so much of his stuff... that cold, wintery ambiance.

I really loved your mix gentlemanTameWater, it really satisfied by love of melancholy electronica. But... but... but... Bangy-man Blarghs's mix, man. I'm drowning in all the freaking funk. :grin:

Anywho, I can't wait till next week's competition that everyone is waiting for: imAsleep vs. Derpthestupididiot!

PS holy crap Divination I want more! D:

Edited by Zerothemaster

I think if the production in your track was a little more polished, you would've trumped Ben in this round - I wanted to reward the longer arrangement as I tend to do. There has been a few matchups like this through the GRMRB & GMRB compos with similar situations. The one that comes to mind to me was WillRock vs. OA in the first GRMRB - WillRock had a pretty awesome 6-7 minute song, but it wasn't polished with the production, and OA had this pretty polished 3-4 minute song. OA won that battle I believe - it came down to <5 votes, I want to say around 1-3.

Just use it as motivation to improve as WillRock has done!

Source usage SHOULD trump production. That is the main criteria people should be considering when voting.

Unfortunately, "should" doesn't always translate into "does" in practice.

You're still a winner in my book, Wildfire.

EDIT: Looks like I was just promoted to Red Mage! I think I also just learned DoubleCast!

Edited by orlouge82

Quick comments about this round:

SuperiorX vs Phonetic Hero: I liked both tracks. However, I felt both "failed" at using the 2 sources evenly (or at least in an easily recognizable way), so I voted for the one that sounded the most polished in my opinion.

AMT vs Mr. L: AMT's track was very cool, but where was the Wolfang? I voted for Mr. L, nicely produced and creative.

Tuberz McGee vs Jakesnke17: Jakesnke17's was fun, but felt a bit medley-ish in the source usage. Tuberz' has a cool style and incorporated the two sources a bit better, so I voted for him.

Benjamin Briggs vs wildfire: Both were pretty good at source usage, but Briggs' seemed better in the production department.

Most tracks were very cool though, a shame that some people couldn't finish :pretzel:

Quick comments about this round:

SuperiorX vs Phonetic Hero: I liked both tracks. However, I felt both "failed" at using the 2 sources evenly (or at least in an easily recognizable way), so I voted for the one that sounded the most polished in my opinion.

YES, it's been irking me all week, now I finally have an excuse to post a source breakdown:

Beginning to :18 - Sheldon intro

:18 to :36 - More straightforward Sheldon, with interp on the A melody

:36 to :54 - Groovin' on Turtloid's intro bassline with alterations in the 2nd and 4th bars to help it fit the progression

:54 to 1:30 - Really. Really. Really straightforward Turtloid A melody

1:30 to 1:48 - Turtloid A2 melody, immediately following the A melody in the source (with a lead-in to the next phrase from the Sheldon intro)

1:48 to 2:06 - Same thing with different instrumentation and some harmonies added

2:06 to 2:15 - Yuck, awful transit in this unpolished version to Sheldon bridge with lots of alterations to chords etc.

2:15 to 2:33 - Sheldon outtro that lasts waaayyy too long

2:33 to 2:40 - Sheldon bass break with extended drum break, used as a lead in for...

2:40 to End - Sheldon stuff from earlier

As I mentioned before, 0:00 to 0:36, Sheldon; 0:36 to 2:06, Turtloid; 2:06 to 3:26, Sheldon. That's 1:56 of Sheldon, 1:30 of Turtloid. 43.5% Turtloid, 56.5% Sheldon... Looks pretty close to equal to me.

Not that I'm complaining, I'm thrilled that you guys apparently liked my entry :-D I'm just really confused that you're not hearing the Turtloid is all. Hope that clears things up!

(and I did end up polishing it, and I WILL post that version at the end of the round, and likely sub it soon after!)

Edited by Phonetic Hero
Added quote

Looking over the polls, it bring a tear to my eye whenever I see someone voted for me <3

You guys are the best. :D

To vote for ME over a dude who's OBVIOUSLY got the upper hand and produced a WAY better piece of music.

It's people like you who make me want to wake up in the morning and work on music all day!

- Callum

YES, it's been irking me all week, now I finally have an excuse to post a source breakdown:

Beginning to :18 - Sheldon intro

:18 to :36 - More straightforward Sheldon, with interp on the A melody

:36 to :54 - Groovin' on Turtloid's intro bassline with alterations in the 2nd and 4th bars to help it fit the progression

:54 to 1:30 - Really. Really. Really straightforward Turtloid A melody

1:30 to 1:48 - Turtloid A2 melody, immediately following the A melody in the source (with a lead-in to the next phrase from the Sheldon intro)

1:48 to 2:06 - Same thing with different instrumentation and some harmonies added

2:06 to 2:15 - Yuck, awful transit in this unpolished version to Sheldon bridge with lots of alterations to chords etc.

2:15 to 2:33 - Sheldon outtro that lasts waaayyy too long

2:33 to 2:40 - Sheldon bass break with extended drum break, used as a lead in for...

2:40 to End - Sheldon stuff from earlier

As I mentioned before, 0:00 to 0:36, Sheldon; 0:36 to 2:06, Turtloid; 2:06 to 3:26, Sheldon. That's 1:56 of Sheldon, 1:30 of Turtloid. 43.5% Turtloid, 56.5% Sheldon... Looks pretty close to equal to me.

Not that I'm complaining, I'm thrilled that you guys apparently liked my entry :-D I'm just really confused that you're not hearing the Turtloid is all. Hope that clears things up!

(and I did end up polishing it, and I WILL post that version at the end of the round, and likely sub it soon after!)

Reading this helps! Still, the 0:36-0:54 is a hard to notice nod to Turtloid, which probably led to my comment (which was a bit general since I aimed it at both mixes). The Turtloid A2 melody completely escaped me too :P

I wanted to reward the longer arrangement as I tend to do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmNb3DfDcCAeGfoqP9o9Dgq1GDT-4k-mjzwB46r0fqVjAu6S9puQccsZKQHQ

Also i thought source usage trumped production, but maybe i was mistaken.

Oh, ok. Well, "The most important thing to consider when voting is how well the remix incorporates and arranges both Maverick themes." Quite frankly, I would not assume that either of us has a clear advantage in this category. in my opinion we BOTH did a fine job combining large percentages of both themes, and creatively.

Quite frankly, I would not assume that either of us has a clear advantage in this category. in my opinion we BOTH did a fine job combining large percentages of both themes, and creatively.

Agreed. I think you guys were evenly matched in terms of source usage, as well as overall enjoyment. I then turned to production, which I felt you did better, so I voted in your favor. A close match though.