Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

I'm a stingy voter in the sense that I don't just look at source USAGE.

I look at the blend of the themes. It's easy to key shift the sources to fit each other and stick em one after the other, but to break down the progressions of each source and combine them so you have elements of one source and elements of another at the same time takes real arrangement skill.

I realize that's a little unrealistic based on the fact that they're week-made remixes but any remix that does that would get my vote over the other that didn't.

Just another thing to factor in if you get stuck on voting for someone; which one not only used both sources but BLENDED them into one song?

I look at the blend of the themes. It's easy to key shift the sources to fit each other and stick em one after the other, but to break down the progressions of each source and combine them so you have elements of one source and elements of another at the same time takes real arrangement skill.

I realize that's a little unrealistic based on the fact that they're week-made remixes but any remix that does that would get my vote over the other that didn't.

Boy, are you in for a treat ;D

I think I'm going to have admit defeat on this one. Mt opponents source is awesome and u could definitely make something of that, but mixing it with my source is far beyond my meagre abilities.

If I let a little thing like better opponents stop me, I'd still be sucking on the bottom of a pool somewhere in flagstaff.

Don't ask.

Dont give up :D

I think I'm going to have admit defeat on this one. Mt opponents source is awesome and u could definitely make something of that, but mixing it with my source is far beyond my meagre abilities.

Hey man, don't give up!

For example, I know when I started on my entry, one of two things happened: I stared at FL Studio - completely blank, and then closed it, or I started putting in random chords / various key scales -- nothing sounded right. Friday afternoon, I finally found something that sounded... well, decent enough I'd say, and went from there; I just did a ton of experimentation. :-D

Of course, I'm not saying that you haven't done that, but the point is... you'll find something that makes you say -- "hey, this sounds kind of neat!"

Also, keep this in mind:

- each song you make, no matter how 'terrible' you may think it is, will help you increase your abilities - by getting feedback, what was good and what wasn't so good, and taking that into account and incorporating it into future songs.

Also, you've still got time: today, tomorrow, and the early part of Sunday, as well!

So, don't give up, because this is what I came very close to doing a year ago in the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet... in fact, I said just about the same thing. :(

If you want proof (after you're finished with your mix)... just take a listen to 'Glacial Age'...

Anyway, sorry -- I'm not too great at getting to the point sometimes, but I hope that helps.

So, don't sell yourself short, okay?

Spike Rosered is an awesome theme as well, and there are ways you can put these two themes together! :D

Edited by Mr. L
Just added a couple of lines; fixed some formatting.

Seriously, Trism -- I just started a couple nights ago and I have no idea what the heck I'm doing with my track, either, but I've been struggling way too much with my track to not have an opponent!! Keep going!!

Hey man, don't give up!

For example, I know when I started on my entry, one of two things happened: I stared at FL Studio - completely blank, and then closed it, or I started putting in random chords / various key scales -- nothing sounded right. Friday afternoon, I finally found something that sounded... well, decent enough I'd say, and went from there; I just did a ton of experimentation. :-D

Of course, I'm not saying that you haven't done that, but the point is... you'll find something that makes you say -- "hey, this sounds kind of neat!"

Also, keep this in mind:

- each song you make, no matter how 'terrible' you may think it is, will help you increase your abilities - by getting feedback, what was good and what wasn't so good, and taking that into account and incorporating it into future songs.

Also, you've still got time: today, tomorrow, and the early part of Sunday, as well!

So, don't give up, because this is what I came very close to doing a year ago in the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet... in fact, I said just about the same thing. :(

If you want proof (after you're finished with your mix)... just take a listen to 'Glacial Age'...

Anyway, sorry -- I'm not too great at getting to the point sometimes, but I hope that helps.

So, don't sell yourself short, okay?

Spike Rosered is an awesome theme as well, and there are ways you can put these two themes together! :D

Glacial Age is a good track, but it wasn't great and was kinda meandery. But even then, he took advantage of the crits and came out the next round with "Northern Lights", which is freakin amazing, and the commenters said that he (along with me :D) was the most improved artist from our first round to the second round (my track was too long, too much, and too idiotic :P)

the moral of the story is NEVER GIVE UP TRISM

NEVER

NEVER

BEAVER

This. Even if you get a 30 second intro or something, your opponent could possibly be struggling in the same way. You could still possibly win with that and then move on to something that just clicks.

Or your opponent could have 4 minutes of face-melting win. Sorry, Mr. Theory ;o

In other news: there has been entirely too little trash talk in this competition.