Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

Here's my feedback for the X bracket. I didn't talk much about source usage because most of the music is unfamiliar to me. Not to worry though, I listened to the sources before voting.

Superior X - Vicious Liquids (Rainy Turtloid vs. Shieldner Sheldon)

Not much stands out for me, but not bad. The lead synth gets tiresome after a while, which is not helped by the song's repetition. I did like the chiptune elements, as well as the drums.

Phonetic Hero - Shell Bros (Shieldner Sheldon vs. Rainy Turtloid)

Good intro, fun tune once things get going. All the elements fit together nicely, well done. Slightly repetitive, but not too noticable.

Tuberz McGee - Snail-Gator Jive #5 (Wheel Gator vs. Crystal Snail)

I like the style, a nice jazzy vibe. It gets repetitive, but never to the point of boredom. A good listen.

Jakesnke17 - Sluggish Revolution (Crystal Snail vs. Wheel Gator)

Nice intro. Complex, interesting synths. Everything works well together. I felt that Wheel Gator should have had a little

AMT - A Good Question (Flame Stag vs. Blizzard Wolfang)

Great guitar playing, especially in the last section. I also enjoyed the lyrics, though they may have been over-compressed. Nicely done.

Mr. L - Blizzard (Blizzard Wolfang vs. Flame Stag)

This reminded of Daft Punk's more ambient stuff, especially the intro. I liked the feel of your remix, nice and chill. It gave the feeling of walking through a forest of freshly fallen snow, at night. Well done.

BlackPanther - Lone Journey (Blast Hornet vs. Vanishing Gungaroo)

Very chill, excellent choice of style. Really well done, not much to complaint. The drums were rather repetitive, and the ending was abrupt. Still an excellent remix, to be honest.

urdailywater - and what Comes around, will stay down (Frost Walrus vs. Optic Sunflower)

Nice ambiance. I like the dark, sinister vibe you got going here. The song is definitely repetitive, I think it could have been shorter, by at least a minute. An enjoyable remix though.

ladyWildfire - kuwangawanga (Boomer Kuwanger vs. Magna Centipede)

I'm really digging the style and direction of your remix, nice work. Trance with some dubstep and chiptune elements, I like it. I think the kick could be stronger and stand out a little more. The dubstep bass was too weak for my tastes, it needs more presence I guess. Basically just production issues. Even so, it was still a damn good remix.

Benjamin Briggs - Beetle Brawl (Magna Centipede vs. Boomer Kuwanger)

Great funk going on here, awesome chiptune elements, as expected. Nothing really to complain about, except maybe the snare. Fun remix.

Prophecy - Vector Point Engineering Volt Buffalo (Volt Catfish vs. Blizzard Buffalo)

Obviously on the short side, but well done. I likey.

Edited by Cash

You forfeit your punch when you declined your invitation

I went to a bar-hoppin' bachelor party instead. Ridiculously awesome time (even ran into the guy who turned me back on to OCR). Every part of my voice hurts now.

Now to make this post relevant to the thread.. uh... robotz. Wait, sorry, no... "Mavericks". And they're mad.

Wow, what happened with the Wildfire/Ben Briggs vote? I wasn't on here all week, and from listening to the songs, I would have thought the vote margin would have been razor-thin. Instead, the voting looks like Wildfire's song was just her screaming into a microphone for 3 minutes. Weird.

Wow, what happened with the Wildfire/Ben Briggs vote? I wasn't on here all week, and from listening to the songs, I would have thought the vote margin would have been razor-thin. Instead, the voting looks like Wildfire's song was just her screaming into a microphone for 3 minutes. Weird.

My thoughts exactly. Though I'm trying to look on the bright side, cause if I continued I'd still probably only have 1-2 days of free time during each round.

I don't know if I'll upload my tune tomorrow. It's just like a big draft.. I haven't had much time to work on it, and won't have much tonight either (it's my birthday tuesday and I have a supper tonight when I come back from work (where I'm at now)). So what should I do, upload an unpolished turd ? ;(

I don't know if I'll upload my tune tomorrow. It's just like a big draft.. I haven't had much time to work on it, and won't have much tonight either (it's my birthday tuesday and I have a supper tonight when I come back from work (where I'm at now)). So what should I do, upload an unpolished turd ? ;(

Just keep ninja updating Darke

We've gone over this a lot. The general consensus is that they ARE very close, but a lot of people are leaning to Briggzy (I think that production value has been a factor.)

I wouldn't worry too much about it Wildfire. Nothing can change during the voting week. Two great artists clashed and there can only be one winner. That's all. I imagine willrock might have felt the same way towards txai's submission in their final round last time. Defeat can be a wonderful thing too. It can depress us or we can look on it, make a stand, and learn to surpass ourselves for the next time :)

BlackPanther - Lone Journey (Blast Hornet vs. Vanishing Gungaroo)

Very chill, excellent choice of style. Really well done, not much to complaint. The drums were rather repetitive, and the ending was abrupt. Still an excellent remix, to be honest.

Glad you enjoyed the little bit that I had. Don't worry though, it's a wip so that's not the final product, I just have it on hold right now as I juggle other things in life.

I was actually really hesitant on going from hype to chill but what I heard in my head was leaning towards making something more slow and emotional and I trusted myself to go along with it which it worked out. I definitely like what I put out there but I gotta make sure not to let myself get caught up in my personal opinions of it which tends to happen quite a bit...

Also, lookin forward to the matchups of the next x bracket!

I also enjoyed Lone Journey. It reminded me of Amphibious' pieces of shadowman in the Wily Gauntlet Competition. The jazzy one and Black AlleyCat.

On a side note has anyone ever considered using morse code to tell a story in their songs in place of lyrics? It would be quite unorthodox ;)

Edited by shadow24