Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

No one takes these things seriously anymore.

Seriously. There should be some kind of penalty for dropping. No one cares because nothing happens, not even a verbal slap on the wrist anymore. Look, I don't have a whole lot of time either between two jobs, collegiate drumline (+ occasional drumline work), and a whole shitton of other composition work for school etc., but I'm still able to write SOMEthing and get it in

Then again, I learned how to hack my sleep schedule. It's like that deal with the magic meter in Zelda 3

Edited by Phonetic Hero

Seriously. There should be some kind of penalty for dropping. No one cares because nothing happens, not even a verbal slap on the wrist anymore. Look, I don't have a whole lot of time either between two jobs, collegiate drumline (+ occasional drumline work), and a whole shitton of other composition work for school etc., but I'm still able to write SOMEthing and get it in

Yeah, but what could seriously be done though? I agree, it sucks when people drop, but there really isn't any sort of "punishment" that could be dealt out. Like what would we do, ban people from the forums for a few weeks? That just seems kinda silly. It's more a matter of people just managing their time better. And ultimately, if you know, or even think that you won't have enough time in any given week to make a mix, then don't sign up in the first place. Easy as that.

No one takes these things seriously anymore.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true either. We had a few drops in the SZRC, but nothing out of the ordinary, and those were mostly in the first round. Then again, I hounded people incessantly during that compo and hyped the crap out of when the mixing rounds were going to start :mrgreen:

Sometimes life just gets in the way though :cry:

Edited by SuperiorX

Yeah, but what could seriously be done though? I agree, it sucks when people drop, but there really isn't any sort of "punishment" that could be dealt out. Like what would we do, ban people from the forums for a few weeks? That just seems kinda silly. It's more a matter of people just managing their time better. And ultimately, if you know, or even think that you won't have enough time in any given week to make a mix, then don't sign up in the first place. Easy as that.

Yeep. And obviously I understand when shit happens, but when people are just like "welp, I wasn't feeling it" or "I don't like what I wrote, I'm not going to submit" or "I've done too many video game remixes lately" it's just a big discredit to the people who actually DID bust their ass to get something done, not to mention whoever's coordinating

Seriously. There should be some kind of penalty for dropping. No one cares because nothing happens, not even a verbal slap on the wrist anymore.

Woah woah woah guys you're WAY overthinking this. A penalty for dropping? Banning from the forums for a week? Really? :/

Consider that some of us have lives, we are all pretty busy. I was ill, which is the only reason I didn't put in something, I didn't have the energy to do anything for the past week. Should I get a "verbal slap on the wrist"? Yes, maybe we shouldn't have entered. But sometimes things get in the way at the last minute and there is nothing that can be done. Don't be so quick to hand out judgement guys.

In the Sonic Zone Remix Compo Enigami's computer crashed the night before and he was still able to make something.

I don't say that to be a dick and be like "you guys have no excuse" because I know life happens and that people are busy, but I DO say this because you should know if you have the time or not to commit to this, and if you sign up and then don't produce something then you took a spot away from someone else who could've entered or a source away from someone who wanted it.

Moreover it also sucks to be the the guy who's opponent drops because 1)You moved on because of a technicality and not necessarily because your music was good and 2) Other people don't listen to your track as much because they don't have to vote on it, meaning you get less feedback. Being that guy twice now is really aggravating.

I think if you have a track record of dropping (twice or more), you should get low priority on future compos, meaning that if 33 people want in and there's 32 slots you get bumped out.

EDIT: lotta people posted while i was writing, so i just want to be clear

1) I understand this is for fun and people have lives. However its also for people to improve and dropping out does nothing to support that.

2) banning from the forums is a too harsh IMO. I think though that the solution I proposed still gives chances to people who drop out, but it also makes people look at their scheduling a little more before signing up.

3) I'm mainly talking about the people who don't submit something because they don't like it. It sucks to get sick Will, I'm sure you would've had a stellar tune. Hope you get better.

Edited by Ethan Rex

Woah woah woah guys you're WAY overthinking this. A penalty for dropping? Banning from the forums for a week? Really? :/

Consider that some of us have lives, we are all pretty busy. I was ill, which is the only reason I didn't put in something, I didn't have the energy to do anything for the past week. Should I get a "verbal slap on the wrist"? Yes, maybe we shouldn't have entered. But sometimes things get in the way at the last minute and there is nothing that can be done. Don't be so quick to hand out judgement guys.

Hang on man, that's fine; being sick is one thing, as I mentioned, but people taking up a spot and then just plain not subbing because they didn't care enough of whatever is annoying. Apologies, I'm just a competitive guy, and I don't want to ever advance on a technicality; I imagine it's pretty frustrating. Hope you're feeling better dude, all this defaulting stuff's kinda getting out of hand, let's just leave it be and discuss it at another time. Mid-compo isn't really the time for it, I think everyone knows we don't need any more drama surrounding these things :P