Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

I'm getting started on my track at work; Darke, what are your feelings on adding in non-Mega Man sources? I keep getting pulled toward multiple non-game/compo sources to make a ridiculous remix with 4 or 5 sources, and I think I'm probably going to for an OCR sub, unless you have STRONG feelings against it. The MMX sources would still be the highlight of the mix, there's just so many different things that keep calling out to me while I write out these different melodies and progressions and arps.

You should avoid using anything but the battle tracks. Remember, your mix will be judged by voters on how well you use the two sources. If you use other sources, especially non-Mega Man ones, that's going to dilute the strength of your arrangement.

If we make a better mix of a past round, we post it here ?

I'd polish that turd a bit and tweak what I couldn't do in time. Still keeping the same crappy recording tho.

I don't think there should be a problem with that. I already have a non-ear destroying, properly mastered version of mine ready. Just waiting for the votes to end to post it.

You should avoid using anything but the battle tracks. Remember, your mix will be judged by voters on how well you use the two sources. If you use other sources, especially non-Mega Man ones, that's going to dilute the strength of your arrangement.

Aw damn... I guess I'll probably end up doing two versions, one short one with as little of the other sources as I can do without completely screwing the arrangement, and another that'll be a lot longer as an OCR sub. I'll still post that one here, but my compo sub will be as much MMX as I can muster. I promise it'll still be hellza badass though

Aw damn... I guess I'll probably end up doing two versions, one short one with as little of the other sources as I can do without completely screwing the arrangement, and another that'll be a lot longer as an OCR sub. I'll still post that one here, but my compo sub will be as much MMX as I can muster. I promise it'll still be hellza badass though

Well I used a non-battle track and no one is voting against me because of it.

They're voting against me because I decided to make a track that's crap.

Thanks for the comments Theory of N and SuperiorX!

I think I'll try to submit my track, but to get a better sounding version I'd need some "help". Anybody that plays Electric Guitar, Bass and/or Acoustic Guitar and wants to record for my song, contact me!

Violin players are welcome too but that isn't as necessary as the other instruments.

Yami - I'm really digging the minimalist & atmospheric sound you have going here. It's giving me vibes of the original Unreal soundtrack. The bass & pads have a nice combination. I think they serve as a nice base, but I kept feeling like a few more instruments should've been introduced to fill out the song as it went on. A little confused on the complete lack of drums, some minimalist percussion would've been great. Yikes wrong note at 2:15!! Nice start, I would love to see this fleshed out a bit more.

Actually I was playing UT99 the last few weeks, so this might have been an inspiration. Since I'll get elimininated anyways, I'll have time to polish things up the next few weeks

Hey all, although I'm not entirely certain at the moment, I'm in the process of driving to LA, staying for a week on a business trip. I don't know if I'll be able to come up with a remix this week, but if I make it back in time I'll definitely whip something up. But as it currently stands, there's not a good chance I'll be able to make it. Sorry for the inconvenience. I had no intention of dropping from the start.

Hey all, although I'm not entirely certain at the moment, I'm in the process of driving to LA, staying for a week on a business trip. I don't know if I'll be able to come up with a remix this week, but if I make it back in time I'll definitely whip something up. But as it currently stands, there's not a good chance I'll be able to make it. Sorry for the inconvenience. I had no intention of dropping from the start.

Hope you make it back in time! If not, I guess it's another default "win" for me.

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKEEEEE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I hope you make it back in time to make something, but if not have a nice trip in LA! :smile:

Hope you make it back in time! If not, I guess it's another default "win" for me.

Brings up an interesting point tho... what if someone gets to the finals by "default"? That would be kinda anti-climactic. Especially now since we're doing randomized matches (although I guess random matches vs. bracket matches doesn't really make a difference).

Edited by SuperiorX

Any word on the week's mixes? L, how we doin'? Gonna give me a run for my money?

I'll do my best to give you a run for your money, good sir! :grin:

I'm trying to utilize SNES soundfonts -- trying something different -- for my entry this week.

I had a similar situation this week as with last time -- only recently did an idea start to take shape.

So, as for a status update -- right now, I don't have much (was only able to start recently), but, rest assured, you shall have something from me. :)

Other than that, I'm also attempting to bring in another source from a non-Mega Man game (otherwise, my sole idea at this moment goes 'kaboom' and it's back to 'writer's block'... and it's only really 'dominant' for the first 7 seconds)

...should be able to recognize it from the first note of the song.

Looking forward to what you and everyone else comes up with this week! :)

Edited by Mr. L

Reviews now!

Magma Dragoon vs. Storm Owl:

- Yami's track uses the sources clearly, even if they don't seem to be the "meat" of the song. I'm not sure the melody at 2:04 really fits the bass notes. The song lacks something like percussion that keeps you interested, and it becomes stale pretty quickly.

- Hakstok's track is like the complete opposite, with some rocky vibe right away. My biggest complaint is that the song is a tad short. Still, it feels like the more developed and polished of the two songs.

Infinity Mijinion vs. Wire Sponge:

- Zerothemaster's is a bit strange compared to what I usually listen to. Intro is a bit techno-ish but after the Mijinion theme disappears, the song enters into a weird phase that, to me, doesn't make that much sense. I'm not really a fan of the synth used with the weird effect it has. Sources are pretty clearly used though. Best part is the ending imo, and the middle section that has no relationship to the sources is nice too.

- Commenting on my song would be a bit odd, but I can provide a breakdown:

0:00-0:32 is Mijinion's intro theme.

From 0:32 to 1:06 you can hear Sponge's "B theme" alongside Mijinion's "B theme".

1:06 to 1:27 is Sponge's "C theme".

1:06 to 1:51 mixes many themes: Mijinion's intro chord progression, the piano makes chords based on Sponge's "B theme", the violin plays Mijinion's "C theme" and the section ends with a nod to Sponge's "B theme".

1:51 to 2:06 is Mijinion's "D theme" (guitar solo) with Sponge's B theme on the piano. 2:07 to 2:23 is the continuation of Mijinion's guitar solo and Sponge's C theme on piano. 2:23 to 2:53 is a combination of Mijinion's B theme and Sponge's "E theme" chord progression. The synth solo is also based on Sponge's "E theme".

2:54 to 3:08 has Sponge's B theme on guitar and the outro is Mijinion's theme on the synth.

I'm not sure how the voting is approached when your song is involved so I guess I'll wait until Zero votes!

Sting Chameleon vs. Bubble Crab:

- Theory of N's song is probably my favorite from the round. Super funky, clean and uses both sources nicely.

- Ectogemia's song is also very interesting. I think this could have beaten almost any opposition, but N's song is just too damn groovy. However, I'm not a fan of the death metal drums you use in some sections, they just don't fit at all. I love the synth sound you used at the solo near 2:00, it's pretty cool.

Spike Rosered vs. Toxic Seahorse:

- Trism's entry is a massive WIP. A very interesting one, but also pretty incomplete.

- ProjectSpam's song, on the other hand, is more developed. I'm not a big fan of the bass used, but it creates a watery mood. The 1:07 section feels like from an old PC game :P I'm not that familiar with the sources of this duel and I have a bit of trouble hearing them in this mix.

Slash Beast vs. Blaze Heatnix:

- Amphibious' track is very cool. It captures Slash Beast's mood completely. Its only drawback is the length, and maybe that Blaze Heatnix's theme is used a lot less than Slash Beast's one.

- Gario's track does a better job at using both sources. I'm not that fond of some synths (like the one that plays at the intro) though. Still, the arrangement is pretty solid and clean sounding.

Armored Armadillo vs. Chill Penguin:

- pixelwave's track is groovy. I like how you used Armadillo's theme. Like others have said, the song is too quiet. Drums drown the rest of the instruments too. Regarding source usage, it's fine, even though I missed more instrumentation.

- Sir_NuTs' begins with a clear nod to Penguin. The Armadillo "licks" are interesting. The song is a bit loud, like others have pointed out. Armadillo takes a while to really kick in into the arrangement, but it fits nicely. This song is nice but I'd like it if you made more combinations between the themes.

Flame Mammoth vs. Crush Crawfish:

- Metal Man's track lives up to the remixer's name! Nice guitar work, even if the mixing is a bit quiet. The drums are a letdown though, since they are just double bassdrum and snare all the time, and actually don't feel very metal-ish. My favorite part is 1:43, since it sounds much cleaner with better drums and stuff. Also, I miss more Crawfish.

- SilvernixSP's is very different. The sounds at the beggining remind me of the ones used by ProjectSpam. Many sections are off-key, which sounds pretty bad. The section at 1:07 with Flame Mammoth's theme leads to better sections, with the song sounding quite good. The combination of Crawfish and Mammoth themes is very sloppy, they don't fit well at all. Overall, there's a feeling of emptiness.

Storm Eagle vs. Spark Mandrill:

- Many X1 themes on this round. The Rexasaurous's mix is quite cool, features both sources nicely.

Edited by jnWake

Welp, looks like I'm boned already in this compo :/

Sucks. I must take my rock-crushing hat off to Theory of N for being brutally funky.

... BUT WHAT IF THE VOTES TURN AROUND AND I WIN?

Yeah, holy crap, I thought the voting was about half and half, and I go away for a few days and the entire second page is votes for Theory of Nonexistence.

Yeah, holy crap, I thought the voting was about half and half, and I go away for a few days and the entire second page is votes for Theory of Nonexistence.

Yeah... I was winning 5-4 at one point, I believe. Then, like... shit. I need a serious c-c-c-combo breaker at this point.

I was originally going to make a funk track. I should have gone ahead with those plans D:

Yeah... I was winning 5-4 at one point, I believe. Then, like... shit. I need a serious c-c-c-combo breaker at this point.

I was originally going to make a funk track. I should have gone ahead with those plans D:

Ever since Gecko in the first GRMRB and Txai in the first GMRB, people have loved the funk.