Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

I struggled on my project for a hour or so on Wednesday and it's looking like that's all I'll have to submit. Three 14-hour workdays in a row and 2 more tomorrow and Monday have pretty much destroyed any hope of me giving an effort for this third round. It's a bummer because I really liked my idea (I may try to fully realize it after the competition) but it's looking like it won't even be worth listening to. I'll see if I can get something decent out in the next hour or so but it's not looking good.

I struggled on my project for a hour or so on Wednesday and it's looking like that's all I'll have to submit. Three 14-hour workdays in a row and 2 more tomorrow and Monday have pretty much destroyed any hope of me giving an effort for this third round. It's a bummer because I really liked my idea (I may try to fully realize it after the competition) but it's looking like it won't even be worth listening to. I'll see if I can get something decent out in the next hour or so but it's not looking good.

Good luck dude, seems like Theory of N didn't have much time either. I just hope hakstok shows up...

Random track comments time!

Theory of N - At Least I Made Something (Sting Chameleon vs. Toxic Seahorse)

That voice sample gets pretty annoying - is it to make Toxic Seahorse more grating compared to Sting Chameleon? I guess it accomplishes that feature. I'm not a huge fan of the bitcrushed drumkit.

ProjectSpam - Sting's Chameleon (Toxic Seahorse vs. Sting Chameleon)

Those vocals are mixed pretty poorly in. Not much else to say except that song title is terrible!

Ivan Hakštok - Feathered Ballad (Storm Owl vs. Chill Penguin)

The synths used for the Chill Penguin part could use some adjusting IMO. Guitar playing could use some work at times too.

Sir_NutS - The Zeroth Law (Chill Penguin vs. Storm Owl)

The mid-low synth that starts the song off is kinda ehh.

Sorry if I come off as too bleh again, just got out of drill earlier. Thanks again to all for their efforts though!

Strange mixes this week.

Theory of N's piece is an interesting take, sort of in the vein of Mega Man Powered Up. If only it weren't for the voice (which is both painful and overused), otherwise it's pretty creative and cool.

ProjectSpam's entry also has some pretty good stuff in there, reminds me of several Castlevania games at the beginning, though the second part sounds like a totally different song. And I agree with Bahamut that the voice doesn't come off very well.

Hakstock brings us something straight out of Woodstock, seemingly. Certainly the most straightforward mix this week, and the only one totally lacking anything jarring.

Speaking of jarring, dubstep isn't my favorite style, and Sir_NutS's piece is really heavy on the wubs. Great interpretation and integration of both themes, though. This is another case where I have to work hard to evaluate a piece objectively.

Random track comments time!

ProjectSpam - Sting's Chameleon (Toxic Seahorse vs. Sting Chameleon)

Those vocals are mixed pretty poorly in. Not much else to say except that song title is terrible!

Thanks for the comments! Yes, the title is pretty bad, but ultimately this was going to be a song in the style of The Police's 'Every Breath You Take'. I guess, in its current state, I could have picked a better title considering that the vocals aren't really at the point of prominence yet.

(And ultimately, I don't have Sting's voice, haha)

That voice sample gets pretty annoying
If only it weren't for the voice (which is both painful and overused), otherwise it's pretty creative and cool.

Yeah, I guess I just got used to it, which is never a good thing. It probably would have stuck out quite a bit more if I had slept on it and could have fixed it but no time :(

I'm not a huge fan of the bitcrushed drumkit.

There's no bitcrushing in the track. Only a kick, snare, and some cymbal/hat. You may be mistaking the cymbal/hat for bitcrushed drums. After relistening, it does sound a bit odd. Nothing a little production work won't fix.

Just now listening to the pieces

Theory of N - I have HUGE MM8 bias, but I actually don't mind the sound clips. Roll might've gotten a tad bit annoying, but for the most part not a big deal for me. Wish you'd've had a bit more time, your first two tracks have really grown on me a lot

ProjectSpam - your style is always pretty unique. I wasn't a big fan of the first section, and the vocals are mixed pretty badly; it's really difficult to understand any of it. The transition was really jarring, but I enjoyed the soundscape of the second half quite a bit

Hakstok - Pretty awesome guitar playing, really relaxing at first. Makes me kind of picture a space saloon with Jim Raynor or something. Source integration is really well done. Pretty solid, though not something I'm really familiar with, so I can't comment much on the mixdown etc.

Sir_NutS - Damn dude, I want your synthesis secrets for dubstep stuffs (especially the screamy synth right before "I'll finish this!"). The extra noise at the beginning bugs me a bit, but it gets lost in the gritty synths pretty quickly (but appears again at the end, and could've been decrescendoed out without the abrupt cut). Loved the use of the MMX death sound clip. The Storm Owl progression behind all the stuff going on in the drops worked really well imo. Might've been my headphones, but there seemed to be a bit of mud throughout. Overall though, awesome work, and the source integration was great on this one too.

Sweet tracks, albeit short ones. At least everyone was able to get something in though!

Sir_NutS - Damn dude, I want your synthesis secrets for dubstep stuffs (especially the screamy synth right before "I'll finish this!"). The extra noise at the beginning bugs me a bit, but it gets lost in the gritty synths pretty quickly (but appears again at the end, and could've been decrescendoed out without the abrupt cut). Loved the use of the MMX death sound clip. The Storm Owl progression behind all the stuff going on in the drops worked really well imo. Might've been my headphones, but there seemed to be a bit of mud throughout. Overall though, awesome work, and the source integration was great on this one too.

Glad you liked it! I know dubstep is very polarizing so it's kind of a risk to do something in that style, but for these compos I just do what I feel like would be fun to do, and boy do I have fun with dubstep!

The screaming synth you speak of was the simplest one to make, I made it in about 10-15 mins. It's just a thor unit with slightly detuned saw and squarewaves routed through a stardar lp and one of the waves routed through a comb filter (just for some grittiness) the magic was done with LFO's, one modulates the pitch down everytime the key is pressed, the other modulates the comb synth filter up. Then just some EQ and compression. Here's how it looks like, if you're curious: http://imageshack.us/a/img526/5733/screamerd.png

The Main bass though, is VERY complicated and took me several hours (i'd guess around 5) to build it to what it sounds like in the song. synths audio outputs running into thor's inputs, then splitted frequencies to several different distortion algorithms, massive eq'ing and lots of automation and LFO's on filters, FM amounts, etc. It's a mess. I'm planning on sharing a collection of the dubstep sounds I've created for these compos in the future just like how I did with the Italo disco patches, I just want to make more to have something substantial to share.

But enough about that! short reviews for this round:

-Theory of N vs ProjectSpam : GO MEGA MAN! Absolutely love the vocal samples, they're so quirky and funky, I loved them to death. If you're planning on updating this, don't take the samples out! they're the charm of the song. Loved the whole arrangement, funky as always. As for projectspam's, it sounded less The Police and more depeche mode to me... which is good! I actually liked what you did but Theory of N's was more developed, I think this would've been a harder choice if you had worked more on yours.

-Hakstok: I bet voting will be close on our matchup, i liked your song very much! it develops very well from a soft ballad to a rocking solo, both themes were well integrated, I liked it!

-As for my own song: I think I talked enough about the production already, so about the arrangement there's plenty of both themes in there but the underlying progression for most of the song is Storm Owl's, i found myself liking this theme more than I thought I would. I had tons of fun working on this song, making the most aggressive dubstep I could was exciting. I love these compos!

If you folks would forgive a little offtopic posting, I have a request.

I really need music for this project that I'm working on, and I need it fast.

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41277

It's an album that OCR is doing for a fighting game tournament in January. If anyone can contribute anything of quality, please grab a track. Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm not sure if there's the same rules with Competition Remixes as there is with normal Remixes here where it's alright and all that as long as credit is given, but I just thought I'd ask. I noticed that the stuff in the Street Fighter Competition and (what I've searched for so far) isn't on on Youtube. Now, I know that this site is non-profit and all that, but I just thought I'd come on here and ask if anybody would be opposed to me putting up the competition remixes from the SF Competition and this one afterwards onto my Youtube. I'll give full credit to the Remixers and OCR itself, post links to the threads themselves and encourage people to check them and other stuff like it out.

Basically, I'd be doing it to try and raise some awareness of stuff like this going on and to try to spread it so people who might otherwise not know about them would be able to check out awesome stuff like what normally comes from these. If you guys think it's a bad idea, then I fully understand, and if it's no big deal, that's cool too. I just like to double check and make sure it's all good before going ahead with stuff like this out of respect. Either way, keep up the awesome work.

Oh crap I overslept. Thank goodness for the deadline being later. Not as polished as I'd like -- I hope it doesn't sound too much like an OHC entry, lol, but at least I got something in.

Oh. Great Scott. Jason, I hope you're ready for all this....

I'm not even sure that I am. Holy crap. You guys

God I seriously can't wait to unleash this

Fantastic, can't wait to hear it. I'm glad you were able to get inspired and have fun with it.

Oh crap I overslept. Thank goodness for the deadline being later. Not as polished as I'd like -- I hope it doesn't sound too much like an OHC entry, lol, but at least I got something in.

Fantastic, can't wait to hear it. I'm glad you were able to get inspired and have fun with it.

Gah, damn, I know how that goes though... Good thing the deadlines were pushed back, but I wish you'd have had more time to get the track to where you wanted it.

And oh yes, I think you'll very much enjoy my track ;D This round will include... TWO of favorite musicians... Jason being one. And I'm not the other

EDIT: Didn't have much time for a final mixdown either though, I was only able to spend about 30-40 minutes before I had to start rendering/uploading. Hopefully it doesn't sound TOO bad

Edited by Phonetic Hero

EDIT: Didn't have much time for a final mixdown either though, I was only able to spend about 30-40 minutes before I had to start rendering/uploading. Hopefully it doesn't sound TOO bad

Unpolished or not, I look forward to hearing it.

Gah, damn, I know how that goes though... Good thing the deadlines were pushed back, but I wish you'd have had more time to get the track to where you wanted it.

Yea, I wanted to have vox on every entry this compo. Unfortunately I just didn't have time for it this entry, but I still like what I came up with.