Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

Sounds like we've reached a fantastic compromise, I'm glad everyone was able to handle everything without freaking out, and again, I apologize for not double checking on collabs. Can't say I'll be able to do much with my mix before the extra due date's up, I've got some things I need to finish very quickly (including my track for the Apex album). I'm very looking forward to what you do with your tune though Proph, hit me with your best shot :D

Also curious to see the new rule about collabs in future Darke compos...

Edited by Phonetic Hero

Sounds like we've reached a fantastic compromise, I'm glad everyone was able to handle everything without freaking out, and again, I apologize for not double checking on collabs. Can't say I'll be able to do much with my mix before the extra due date's up, I've got some things I need to finish very quickly (including my track for the Apex album). I'm very looking forward to what you do with your tune though Proph, hit me with your best shot :D

You should just go balls to the wall with collabs. Like what Gario did in the final round of the Sonic compo

You should just go balls to the wall with collabs. Like what Gario did in the final round of the Sonic compo

Haha, turns out I already started another track that I'm doing that for though before all this started up... and I don't wanna bug people for more favors :P But we'll see what happens as the days go by, I'm kinda forced to finish up a few of my previous commitements pretty quickly, so it's very possible that I'll be able to do something

And part of me just wants Jason to pummel me with awesome; I don't care much about winning at this point, and I want to hear how much more badass his track is after he sinks more time into it. Plus I already got what I wanted out of the compo. I've given it my all every round, I pushed myself and my opponents to become better musicians, and as a mega bonus, I gained an amazing musical ally in Omni, so I really can't complain too much. Plus 4 tracks for a Shield Sheldon EP I plan on putting out called "Clam Jams" (lol), so I'm really kinda sitting pretty in my point of view :) I'm not saying I wouldn't be up for making another track in the finals agianst NutS or N if it comes to that, and like I said, we'll see what happens as the week goes on ;)

EDIT:

Did you all just respectfully and rationally defuse the drama bomb that shows up near the end of all these competitions?

Gentlemen, I salute you.

Yes, this. I'm really happy everyone was able to reach a conclusion rationally, things don't always go over so smoothly, as I've witnessed firsthand before. Thanks everyone for being so easy to get along with, <3 y'all

Edited by Phonetic Hero

Haha, don't worry. I seriously did just start on it like two hours ago but it's coming along nicely :)

Awesome. One of my favorite songs from this compo is "Stealth Chameleon" (which I think should have been called "Stealth Charmeleon" on account of the Blaze Heatnix source usage, but whatever), so I'm looking for MOAR!

Edited by orlouge82

GLL came over last night and improv'd some solo melodies for me. I was amazed at how much emotion he was able to get into Volt Catfish's main melody. I wanted to get some vocals from Robbie, but by the time I was able to get a hold of him, it was too late to ask for something like that. Ahh well. I plan on making a little EP by completing/polishing my past remixes from this compo. Hopefully that means GLL+Robbie goodness.

As for this current mix, I've decided to concede instead of turning in a mix, despite having a complete song. My reasons are simple: The mix as it stands, isn't much different from my last mix of the same sources and doesn't do GLL's finger skills justice. It takes finesse and effort to make piano rubato work in an otherwise strict-rhythm track, and I may have lacked the enthusiasm to achieve that in the time frame. I admit, I have difficulty revisiting old tracks previously released -- it feels defeatist somehow. But I knew that would be a factor when Darkesword announced the rule changes -- rule changes which were entirely fair. In addition, my schedule makes it seem increasingly unlikely I'd be able to create another track for the compo, in the event I should make it to the final.

Sorry PH, I know that none of this is how you wanted to advance to the final, but I hope you not let that bother you and bring your A game to the last bout. I'm glad there was a rule extension even if I'm not turning something in. I get to hear 3 tracks more polished than they would have been before, and I think it's important as a mixer to confront your hangups, even if you are initially unsuccessful.

I got a lot out of this compo. I'm appreciably faster when working towards a short deadline after this gauntlet, and I got to play around with vocals in ways I don't usually get a chance nor the inspiration to. Thanks guys for competing with me. It was a lot of fun.

Well as for me, I submitted an unfinished track, and I apologize to ToN. I wasn't able to grasp the slightest hint of inspiration these past two weeks, as the title of the song suggests. The last two days I sat here trying to get something good out but I found myself rewriting entire sections over and over, rebuilding synths from scratch over and over again, and in the end the result was not satisfactory. So sorry for not putting up a good fight, but musician's block is a bitch.

I do look forward to your track, as I've enjoyed every single track you've submitted for this compo.

About my remix:

When I started really listening to Chill Penguin's theme, I noticed a little fanfare thing that I really liked so I used it as the centerpiece for the mix. It comes in about 10 seconds in and is never repeated, which made me sad. The "chorus" is comprised of that fanfare with Chill Penguin's B melody.

The biggest place Sting Chameleon is used is the bridge, where I implemented the B theme on top of some jazzy chords. Again, probably not as much Sting Chameleon implemented as you guys are probably looking for but he definitely has a presence through a majority of the piece. I'm noticing how much more fun it is to cleverly insert references to the theme instead of creating a new remix based off it each time. Putting the same melody in the lead gets old after a while.

I won't tell you exactly where the little A theme motive is because I think it would be kind of fun to make a game out of it and try to find all the different places it shows up. Hint: It's in the bassline, lead synth (probably multiple times), and in background accompanying sounds at different parts (as far as I can remember. There's probably more).

Enjoy!

Ahh well. I plan on making a little EP by completing/polishing my past remixes from this compo.

I plan on doing the same thing :P

Well as for me, I submitted an unfinished track, and I apologize to ToN. I wasn't able to grasp the slightest hint of inspiration these past two weeks, as the title of the song suggests. The last two days I sat here trying to get something good out but I found myself rewriting entire sections over and over, rebuilding synths from scratch over and over again, and in the end the result was not satisfactory. So sorry for not putting up a good fight, but musician's block is a bitch.

Sorry to hear that, man. I was looking forward to a good matchup but I understand. A bit of advice if you'll hear it: If there's one thing I've learned about writing music, it's that it's 15% art and 85% craft. Inspiration definitely helps but it's not necessary to write music. After I finally understood that fact, my music level and productivy increased drastically.

I do look forward to your track, as I've enjoyed every single track you've submitted for this compo.

Thanks, man! I'm glad you like them :)

EDIT: oops, double post.

Edited by Theory of N

About my remix:

When I started really listening to Chill Penguin's theme, I noticed a little fanfare thing that I really liked so I used it as the centerpiece for the mix. It comes in about 10 seconds in and is never repeated, which made me sad. The "chorus" is comprised of that fanfare with Chill Penguin's B melody.

That's interesting, since I used that fanfare thing a lot on my round 2 entry too!

Anyway, good luck to everyone for this last rounds!

Sorry to hear that, man. I was looking forward to a good matchup but I understand. A bit of advice if you'll hear it: If there's one thing I've learned about writing music is that it's 15% art and 85% craft. Inspiration definitely helps but it's not necessary to write music. After I finally understood that fact, my music level and productivy increased drastically.

Oh I know what you mean. Most of my songs haven't been the product of inspiration (although the ones I consider to be my best work have), but for me sometimes I just can't for the life of me get a song to work. it doesn't happen very often, but after all these years I've become familiar enough with this musician block to be able to recognize it when it shows up.

GLL came over last night and improv'd some solo melodies for me. I was amazed at how much emotion he was able to get into Volt Catfish's main melody. I wanted to get some vocals from Robbie, but by the time I was able to get a hold of him, it was too late to ask for something like that. Ahh well. I plan on making a little EP by completing/polishing my past remixes from this compo. Hopefully that means GLL+Robbie goodness.

As for this current mix, I've decided to concede instead of turning in a mix, despite having a complete song. My reasons are simple: The mix as it stands, isn't much different from my last mix of the same sources and doesn't do GLL's finger skills justice. It takes finesse and effort to make piano rubato work in an otherwise strict-rhythm track, and I may have lacked the enthusiasm to achieve that in the time frame. I admit, I have difficulty revisiting old tracks previously released -- it feels defeatist somehow. But I knew that would be a factor when Darkesword announced the rule changes -- rule changes which were entirely fair. In addition, my schedule makes it seem increasingly unlikely I'd be able to create another track for the compo, in the event I should make it to the final.

Sorry PH, I know that none of this is how you wanted to advance to the final, but I hope you not let that bother you and bring your A game to the last bout. I'm glad there was a rule extension even if I'm not turning something in. I get to hear 3 tracks more polished than they would have been before, and I think it's important as a mixer to confront your hangups, even if you are initially unsuccessful.

I got a lot out of this compo. I'm appreciably faster when working towards a short deadline after this gauntlet, and I got to play around with vocals in ways I don't usually get a chance nor the inspiration to. Thanks guys for competing with me. It was a lot of fun.

I wouldn't count yourself out yet, I assume voting will go back to what it was a couple weeks ago; I wasn't able to submit anything new either, but we both still have completed tracks that need voting on

Sounds like a hat trick for demotivation; I had like an anxiety attack or something followed by a depression flareup and haven't been able to produce anything at all for a week, despite have a zillion things I need to finish.

BUT, I echo all the sentiments, can't wait to put together my compo EP, and can't wait to hear everyone ELSE's EPs as well :D For now, there's voting to be done, and nobody's out yet. Best of luck to everyone, and regardless of the turnout, it's been more than a pleasure competing