Upon New Shores (Yoshi's Island)

Cash

Hey man, I really liked this entry :).

I've listened to all the compo tracks many times this past week, so I'm pretty familiar with this mix by now.

The opening/closing riffs are cool, and I like how you made them kind of off beat, but the instrument itself sounds really synthetic. Maybe it's just me, but I think a more natural instrument would sound better there.

Also, I think the drums could use some work. Since it sounds like you're using acoustic samples, you might want to try making them sound a little bit less programmed. Some more variation would be nice too; repetition is fine, but after a while they get kind of boring. I'd really like to see them get changed up at 0:25, 0:55...basically whenever a new riff starts or instrument comes in. You don't have to go crazy, but little changes in the beat would be nice.

Overall it's a very enjoyable listen though!

I really like this, it's a very nice take on the song.

My thoughts: the synth that comes in right from the beginning seems a little... I dunno, generic? I'm not sure it's really generic, but I really don't like it for some reason. Also, that odd percussive synth sound that comes in before the second repeat, I actually find it a little annoying; maybe if you toned down its aggressive-ness a little? Finally, I hear the compression on the master track, and I think it's over-done. Either turn down the "wet" level on your compressor, or bring down the compression ratio.

I personally really like your drums, but maybe I'm not the best person to critique wether drums sound real or not :P

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with everything, the drums and a few of the synths could have used some tweaking, but the deadline for the competition was fast approaching. DusK did the final mastering, I'm not sure what settings he used, but we'll look into it.