Sonic 3&K Flying Battery (Trance-ish)

I never get tired of this tune.

I think what would be great is if you experimented more with the source, and try adding things to make it more your own. Maybe start with some counter melodies, change a chord or two, and then go bold and really mess with the structure of the song, or change up the instrumentation so that it's not quite so similar to the original.

At the moment all this sounds like is a straight MIDI with new instruments. It needs to be structured into something new and original because at the moment its still sounds like a loop and not a track.

The instruments used as well sound very ordinary and don't mix very well with each other, try picking a certain style and try and get good instruments to fit that style.

I would also say that its rather difficult to try and create something new and original when you already have structured the song out just like the original, try taking the lead part or bass track and play around with stuff over the top, you never know what you might create!

Also, are you wanting to remix Wing Fortress or Flying Battery, the name of this thread is confusing.

And here's yet another update! This one comes with an intro (which totally rips off James Bond; I'd always been reminded of that theme when listening to this song. I initially intended to really bring that out, but ended up with this trance-y, dance-y thing. Then, I realized I needed a real intro and made the most of the opportunity.)

Overall, this does not sound bad, but there are some problems.

First off, I really am not feeling the beat. This may be because I'm one for big beats and cool grooves, but I'm not feelin' it.

Also, that bass (the low frequency in the EQ, mainly) has got to come up. I'm also one who loves dat bass.

From 0:06 to 0:14, the vibraphone or whatever that is doesn't work. Its chord changes are coming in before the other chord changes coming from the other instruments, and it just sounds a little weird.

Keep it up, though. This sounds interesting. :)

Firstly, thanks for the feedback, man! I really appreciate your word.

Secondly, increasing the bass volume and fixing the vibes near the beginning, those I will attempt to fix by the next update.

The beat issue, I'm not quite sure I can fix right yet, as I'm not sure what specifically your talking about, in regards to the beat. Am I throwing in too many complicated, syncopated stuff that could be simplified into something more appealing? Or is it not syncopated enough?

The beat issue, I'm not quite sure I can fix right yet, as I'm not sure what specifically your talking about, in regards to the beat. Am I throwing in too many complicated, syncopated stuff that could be simplified into something more appealing? Or is it not syncopated enough?

No, no. It's the beat sound itself. It just doesn't feel big enough.

Though, with the direction this remix is going right now, I don't think that a bigger beat would work very well.

Interesting arrangement. It sounds a little like if Flying Battery was composed using the Goldeneye 64 instruments.

Your remix is short, but its a WIP so it's excusable. As you develop your song, try to capture some of the intensity of the original. The source was very fast pace and catchy, even with sound limitations. A good example of a Flying Battery remix that captures the essence of the track would be SnappleMan's "Dead Batteries" from Project Chaos.

To get this on OCR, the instruments need an overhaul, but I'm not the person qualified to describe specifics. My general advice would be to listen to other recent remixes (ie past 2008) to get a better idea of what kind of instrumentation OCR is looking for. Anything that sounds MIDI-esque doesn't pass (although technically almost everything on OCR is MIDI, but with awesome instrument choice).

Hi. :-)

I'm here to share some of my thoughts on your WIP at your behest. I hope you do not get disappointed or discouraged with the information I am about to share. The workshop is DEFINITELY where you need to be now, as there is definitely potential in your work but you have a long way to go before you should consider submitting to OC ReMix. Don't get discouraged, just keep honing your skills!

The drum samples are not high enough quality, they almost seem like MIDI, and you have a lot of clapping going on at 1:17 which is quite strange. I could see it working if the beat was a lot stronger, but the kick lacks punch and is more of a sub kick -- the drum set as a whole sounds a lot more tailored to rap where this kind of kit sound is more common. (Yeah, take THAT rap scene, you and your midi kits!)

If you're using FL Studio, it's easy to download and replace sounds. I personally do not collect or distribute samples, but I know there are electronic musicians at OCR who are open to it.

Your string sample is too dry and upfront, if you added some reverb and panned it away from center, perhaps even lower the volume a bit, it'd sound better. The square-ish bass is good but you have it panned slightly left and the bass frequencies seem to be lacking. I won't tell you it's WRONG to pan it like that, but it's more common to pan bass center for this style.

I do like hearing the chippy sounds but I don't think everything is panned, EQ'd, and sporting proper reverb at the moment. Some of the elements are hard to make out as a result. Please keep it up and due to posting I'm now subscribed to this thread, so I'll be glad to check out future WIPs. I probably won't check one out if you post it tomorrow, but put some real time into the WIP and get it sounding considerably different and I'll take a look. Thank you. :-)

I know people who use Reaper and have incredible results with it. Look up BONKERS on OCR or on the FF1 album for example. :-P Alas I have no idea how that DAW works either but in light of that knowledge it seems like the drums could have been a GM Bank of some sort. Probably wouldn't be too hard to switch in a better library and move the midi data to the new channel. Hopefully. :-D Other people will know more about drum samplers, that's really not my area. I'd suggest Battery 3 but that is probably way more expensive than necessary.