OCR00477 - Xenogears "Indie Rock Dajil"

Ginnsu

Xenogears 'Indie Rock Dajil'

Oh! Check out this India ethnic thing The Pancake Chef has going on in this Xenogears piece. This is great stuff. There is never a dull moment when The Pancake Chef is around. The Pancake Chef, stop flipping those paper thin crepes and do more mixing, because this stuff rocks.

• 2 months later...

Wow .. arabic mixing .. I never thought i'd see this. And the pancake chef brings to us another risyk track that does a huge smashing hit off the face.

Seriously though, the beat on this track is great.

My only complaint is that the bass is extremely repetitive and sort of annoying when you get down to listening to for a while .. But it could just be me getting really cranky.

The Pancake chef pulls off another stunt with an amazing mix, and im hoping he realises what a great artist he is, without getting too much of an ego about it ^_^

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a really good mix, with a great arrangement. All new textures, some subtly altered rhythms, and some great breakdowns, this really deserves some more love.

The oscilating synths in this are really sweet, and probably my favorite part; there are probably three seperate ones scattered throughout the soundscape and they fade in and out, and pan around, keeping things in constant motion. Combined with the groovetacular bass and some guitarish chords, you have a foundation for success.

One nitpick is that i'm not really feeling the panned drumset; I think it should have been spread out across the field a bit more instead of one side.

Definitely recommended.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I quite liked some of the Pancake Chef's stuff as I made my rounds here originally; back in 2002, they were seen as a good early example of taking the sources to completely different levels, even if they felt rather brief.

This track serves as a good example even on a production level; taking the bass component of the source material and using it as the driving force for something more lively in nature, it's been reflected well with some strong articulation and synth modulation work done for their time. The melody may be referenced in fragments, and even then it doesn't come through properly until around 2:10, but I'm sure enough was done with the backing to allow for the patience to come through.

What does irk me a little bit though was that some of the samples were written in these egyptian musical scales, while others were written entirely in minor keys, which makes it slightly difficult to comprehend on a writing level when the two elements clashed together in various points past the 1 minute mark. For me, clashing scales can be seen as a miss, but given that these irks are fewer than I'd usually expect from such mashups, I can be cool with it.

So for a 2002 work, I dig this. I still wouldn't call it my personal favorite of the Pancake Chef's works though, but it's still a tasteful adaptation of Mitsuda's work and can be worth looking into if you're a fan of either him or the Xeno series :)

• 6 months later...

I really like this. Everything is wonderful. The leads and even that nice underlying pulse sound that comes in every now and then. Great work, thanks!

*It sounds very much like that Buck Rogers disco scene. :<

Buck rogers disco music from 1979. yes that's right kids, 1979.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00477 - Xenogears "Indie Rock Dajil"
  • 2 years later...