Nintendo Power to end publication after 24 years

Native Jovian

December 2012, eh?

... perhaps the predictions for the end of the world at that time aren't so far off... :(

God damn you, I was going to make that comment.

I wonder how sales of the magazine will change with the announcement of a special final issue. Maybe enough to make Nintendo consider some new form of the publication, perhaps like a smaller digital version?

Relevant video from the AVGN.

I'll throw my memories into the ring, too. I inherited a whole bunch of Nintendo Power magazines from a family friend who was going off to college. At the time, I didn't even HAVE a console (NES or SNES). I got a Gameboy first, but pined for all the awesome-looking NES games, especially Final Fantasy. I'd read the issues cover-to-cover, despite them being years out of date, and enjoy all the screenshots, tutorials, comics, etc. It made the time when I got to actually PLAY the games all the sweeter.

As the AVGN noted though in the video above, as time went on the issues started to get just... bad. Gross ads, jackass editors. I never had a subscription, so I'd see the new issues at a friend's house.

Now I feel compelled to buy the last few issues of Nintendo Power. :(

Even though I was more of an EGM dude, I did get a few issues of Nintendo Power over the years growing up. Haven't read the magazine in awhile, and I don't have enough memorible moments with it...which is unfortunate because there's a pretty hardcore fanbase out there.

I don't get why they don't go digital. Maybe it's pointless since Nintendo of America already has a site with news outlets...which isn't personal enough. The PlayStation Blog is an example of really connecting with the fans...and it would be cool if Nintendo emulates it somehow by working with the FutureUS people.

The first tape was hilarious, where they had the "top gamers in the world" come in and test Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. I think there was another on there, I don't recall. Watching them now it's all obviously fake and corny, but that really got me going as a kid.

I am brand new to these forums and to OCRemix! Hello and this site rules!

I was actually somewhat popular in grade school just because I had a subscription to this magazine. I remember selling some of the codes and also kids calling me for advice on the games. Oh how time changes right? I remember when my Dad ordered my subscription and it came with Dragon Warrior. My older brother horded the game and after he beat it I was eventually able to play it and beat it and it was lots of fun. And also the posters. They were all over my room, until I went into my punk/guitar phase (until that went full circle and I started doing covers of video game songs). I will definitely check for the last issue. R.I.P and a toast to all.

I started getting it around issue 30 or so, and my best memory of NP is when I got a VHS tape in the mail from them with EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE FROM THE NINTENDO ULTRA CONSOLE. I fucking shit my pants so hard when I saw gameplay from Super Mario 64 for the first time.

FULLY

3D

M

A

R

I

O??????

?

/

AND WITH TOUCH SENSITIVE MOVEMENT?!@?!?123@3

That was way the hell too much for my young brain to handle. And that's how I got my first boner.

Shucks - my first issue was the Mega Man 2 issue. I was so excited I left the rest of the mail in the mailbox and my dad got mad at me for that...

I remember entering so many of the contests - the Player's Poll Contests, some of the creative ones, like design your own Gameboy (the winner's entry HAD to be done by a parent).

I also remember the Zelda 2 special where they included the maps for a lot of, if not all of, the palaces - that was a great help for me.

And then the Mario Mania issue was AMAZING. All the history on Mario and then ALL OF THE MAPS FOR SUPER MARIO WORLD!!

But I think what I missed most when it left, was the Howard and NESter comics. From what I remember they were well-written and I always liked how they included a crucial gaming tip in the writing without outright saying what they were doing. And the subtle jokes going on in the background - brilliant!

I think I discontinued my subscription when I was going into middle school - I just didn't like where the mag was going...

But to hear of its imminent passing, yeah...sad. But "all good things...", right?

Sad times indeed, I was a subscriber to the original Nintendo Fun Club and got the first edition (with that awful - or awesome depending on your tastes) cover of Mario and Wart and it blew my mind. Was my primary game mag for a long time and definitely helped keep me a Nintendo fanboy for years, particularly in the early SNES days.

Haven't even looked at any recent issues for years now but just seeing it on the stand gave me a sense of permanence and nostalgia that I'm gonna miss. I still have a few old issues I'm sure I'll keep forever. Sigh... the times they are a changing...

During my time with this hobby we have lost:

1. Sega Visions

2. Game Players

3. Ultra Game Players

4. Game Buyer

5. Next Generation

6. Official Dreamcast Magazine

and now Nintendo Power?

Yet IGN is still going strong. Somehow. :<

There's a few magazines there you neglected to mention. Though I didn't read it, GameNOW was one of them, and there's also Tips & Tricks, which I loved.

Some time ago I posted a list of all my Nintendo Power issues in the For Sale thread. The deal was they'd be free to a good home, you only pay shipping. If there's any interest, I'd be happy to go through and list all my issues for those interested in adopting them.

Is there any interest in the community? I'd rather they go to someone who would appreciate them than to the recycling center.

Some time ago I posted a list of all my Nintendo Power issues in the For Sale thread. The deal was they'd be free to a good home, you only pay shipping. If there's any interest, I'd be happy to go through and list all my issues for those interested in adopting them.

Is there any interest in the community? I'd rather they go to someone who would appreciate them than to the recycling center.

There's 3-4 where Secret of Mana is the main focus. I'd be interested in those, somewhat.

There's 3-4 where Secret of Mana is the main focus. I'd be interested in those, somewhat.

The neat thing about those issues is the art by Katsuya Terada. He also did art for their Final Fantasy II coverage, and I believe he has some art in the manuals for Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Here's some Zelda stuff he did.