Synth and guitar lead problem to cut low frequencies

Hi,

i need to let the bass got the low frequencies,

with some instruments i don't got any problem but when i do it with a synth for example.

i got to many volume variation because i got to cut some low frequencies.

What i have to do to advoid that ?,

i got the same problem with a guitar lead too.

it's realy annoying because, the sound before cut is great and don't have any variation of volume, after cut some low, the sound loose too much and have too much variation of volume

Your volume variations can be fixed with compression after the EQ.

You don't need to gut your tone to free up the bass frequencies. Generally anything below 100-120hz can easily be rolled off without any sacrifice in tone.

Make sure you're not judging the sound while the track is solo'd, it'll almost always sound bad on its own. You need to listen to it in the context of the song to really hear what it'll sound like. You should only solo the track when you're doing subtractive EQ to cut out problematic frequencies. Otherwise you should be listening to other instruments along side it.

If you have big changes in volume after EQ your melody must be all over the place. Consider using a multiband compressor so you always have some control over the high frequencies without getting too much change in volume. Basically, a multiband compressor would make sure you have approximately the same frequency balance regardless of note pitch.

Multiband effects are usually not used on single tracks, usually just on buses and outputs, but some instruments need to have their spectrum controlled like this. It's different from what an EQ does, since an EQ just lowers the level of different frequencies regardless of how loud those frequencies are. A multiband compressor would compress different bands of the spectrum separately. It's a tricky tool to use, but it's an effective way to get tracks that vary a lot in pitch and dynamics under control.

It's really difficult to give advice on audio without hearing it. Is this a track you can share with us? That would make it easier to give more direct advice, instead of having to guess what the problem really is.

I am early in my song but i tried your trick rozovian it do the trick, just need to compress a little bit the 3 band to be calibrate to not have this volume problem.

I was also killing to much low, EQ at 200 hrz seem to kill the tone a lot, tanks darangen.

I heard compressing synth was not a good idea but i think a little bit compressed synth sound good even if the sound of the synth is already very flat.

well tanks all for the advice :P

Yeah automation you mean effect in the melody like vibrato, cut off ect ?

By the way about the frequencies problem, what are you looking for ?

Fizzy sound ? i got to make a substractive EQ around 800 hrz (one Note seemed to be a little more powerfull than the other, it happen a lot on the highest notes)

Yeah automation you mean effect in the melody like vibrato, cut off ect ?

By the way about the frequencies problem, what are you looking for ?

Fizzy sound ? i got to make a substractive EQ around 800 hrz (one Note seemed to be a little more powerfull than the other, it happen a lot on the highest notes)

Well I was more thinking about a volume automation. For instance, I made some hip-hop beat the other day and while the compression helped for sure, I fine-tuned some bass notes with a volume automation to have them sit perfectly with the whole context.

About your EQ, well the way I do it is to first set a very narrow Q and sweep it around to find the sweetspot. You do it with a narrow EQ and sweep it around and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Then proceed to a cut at that frequency and enlarge the Q to its more logical extent (your ears are the judge).