Sign in to follow this  
JDHarding

3. completed Kingdom Hearts 2 : Sanctuary [ReMix]

I hear some weird compression on the vocals in the very beginning. Something to do with any sidechaining you've done?

0:23 needs a better lead in. The dynamic difference is too great to just bring everything in all at once after the guitar. Add something at about 0:20 and keep it until 0:25. Right before 0:25, have whatever it is get louder to the volume that matches what's coming in.

I think the kick is also messing with the sub bass. Notch the EQ out for the bass where the kick is, and lower the EQ for the kick where the bass is. Or sidechain slightly so the kick lowers the bass enough to be heard but not enough to create weird compressions.

Sounding a lot better at around 0:23.

There's still that weird compression on the vocals at 0:01, maybe you should check that out sometime later.

Loving the new drums. That's a good kick sample, and a sufficient snare sample.

The bass pitch drop works great at 0:55 as a lead in to the breakdown. Speaking of the breakdown section, I believe the snare sample there could be improved to seem more natural. One with a longer decay tail might work better; you could try something similar to a TR-808 snare.

It was a good choice to change up the feel at 1:52 as compared to 0:57. That way the song feels like it's getting close to the end.

I guess another idea I could have for you is to try switching the section you have at 0:57 - 1:19 with 1:52 - 2:15. See how that goes.

Hey JD ^_^ I'm going to post some thoughts for you.

- I feel like the low end of the song just needs a boost in general, The high end of the spectrum feels good, but I feel like the low end is just super-lacking, the drum patterns could also use a bit more variation - I think the Kick in particular is very monotonous. Try adding in a new bass synth, maybe layering some together to get the groove going.

- The vocals are fantastic. I don't hear anything major, sometimes there could some very minor volume/EQ fixes, but overall it sounds good!

- The piano and reverb effects are awesome. Especially the intro, dont change a thing! I think your main synth effects need tweaking and adjusting.

- I'd love to see it extended, it feels awfully short! Nice work man, I can totally dig the tune, looking forward to see a finalized version.

- I think that awesome piano needs a solo section. Make it happen?

Update!

This is quite an improvement over the original remix. Most notably, I found a full lossless quality version of the vocals, so I quickly implemented that. I used Reason's time-scale abilities instead of Wavelab's to speed up the vocals to the proper BPM, thus no quality loss whatsoever on the vocals. Moved instrument sections around to make up for the lengthened song.

http://jdharding.bandcamp.com/track/sanctuary-new-remix

I like your version much, much better than the original. So much so that I bought it. Keep up the excellent work!

Sounds great!

Also, newbie question, but do you intend to eventually post this on the main site one day? I suppose if you did you'd have to remove all sounds that came from the original track (due to Square-Enix's copyright paranoia), but you probably already knew that :P

Great sound quality - absolutely nice to listen to this one.

Maybe the drum effect in the beginning and the end (sounds a bit like a noisy metronom clicking) could be replaced by another drum sound - but the transition of this one at about 0:20 is absolutely awesome - there are some cool repetitions of those nice drum & bass effects, for example after 2:35 - make these louder there, because they sound really great.

The end the track could have some kind of a silent instrumental or better a slightly sped up part - but doesn't really have to.

Without being too nitpicky - it's really great as it is now. ))

Edited by Master Mi

Alright, let's see where this is at.

The piano in the beginning sounds alright to me, but it may be a little dry, and perhaps a bit quiet. You might hear how the original had more reverb and is more distinct. The way you've written 0:12-0:17, it sounds the arp could work well as a background, supporting part while the piano plays primary backup to the vocals. At this moment, the arp is louder than the piano, so that's something you could look into. Also, the processed vocals might benefit from more clarity if you can make that happen.

I find it interesting that you have toms acting like hi hats throughout, mimicking the source a bit. I found it odd at first, but it's not a big problem to me. The kick could be stronger and the snare sounds like it fits more in dubstep, but the drums aren't weak enough overall to really need any fixes. Although, it could work well in your favor to do something about them, especially the timbre of the snare and bass mixing of the toms, to make it sound more cohesive.

At 2:18 however, the kick is actually buried and does need to come out more, especially due to how much tighter the snare sounds in comparison. I can kind of hear the kick if I really try, but it's simply not that prominent. Perhaps some waveshaping/distortion can highlight the strong parts of the timbre and some parallel compression can tie it together.

The arrangement seems to stick pretty closely to the source, but with the personalization you gave in the decent amount of dynamics and variation, I think it's pretty OK. There's some repetition of 1:05 at 2:01, but there's enough elements changed and enough variation implemented for it to not sound so similar. 0:25 and 1:21 are less varied though. The only difference I hear is that 1:21 is fuller, but that's only noticeable if you hear both sections. If you can look at either section and do an A/B comparison, then say to yourself that these two sections are not similar enough to be a straight repeat, then it isn't, but right now it pretty much is.

Overall, the larger issue I'm seeing is in the arrangement. It would be great if you could meaningfully add more variation to differentiate 0:25 and 1:21 some more, while tweaking the notes at 1:05 and 2:01. Touching up on the production couldn't hurt either.

Edited by timaeus222