copyright notice on Youtube ?

Frederic Petitpas

I created a YouTube account and uploaded a few videos and a few covers. 3 songs got a copyright notice (Zelda (guitar cover) and 2 Opeth covers). I didn't compose the music but recorded 100% of it. So what happens if I accept the notice (The "x" theme is managed by X-company"... do you accept or not" ?

It's a fucking cover, what do they want.

I uploaded an Audiosurf run of a song once and got a copyright notice over the audio.

The only thing that happened (that I'm aware of) is that the video was tagged with the artist's name and the song title. Maybe it has ads for them running, too, though I wouldn't know with Adblock enabled.

I uploaded an Audiosurf run of a song once and got a copyright notice over the audio.

The only thing that happened (that I'm aware of) is that the video was tagged with the artist's name and the song title. Maybe it has ads for them running, too, though I wouldn't know with Adblock enabled.

Did it replace your whole title or added to it ?

Did it replace your whole title or added to it ?

The video title? It didn't do anything to it that I'm aware of. It just stuck a link to the song and the artist underneath the video and slightly to the right of the description.

EDIT: Ah, yes, I'd included the artist's name in the title and that name became a link. Behold

I have SO MANY copyright notices. The funny thing is most of them are on my Bach transcriptions, which are ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPTIONS based on PUBLIC DOMAIN MUSIC! Bach is pretty dead, so I don't have to worry about him claiming anything.

EDIT: This is funny! After posting this I decided to go ahead and dispute the claims on my Bach works (as well as one on a Schubert piece, which is also public domain). Literally immediately after submitting the claim, I got three emails that read the following:

"One or more music publishing rights collecting societies has reviewed your dispute and released its copyright claim on your video, "Franz Schubert - Du Bist die Ruh". For more information, please visit your Copyright Notice page"

That was a fast review!

I created a YouTube account and uploaded a few videos and a few covers. 3 songs got a copyright notice (Zelda (guitar cover) and 2 Opeth covers). I didn't compose the music but recorded 100% of it. So what happens if I accept the notice (The "x" theme is managed by X-company"... do you accept or not" ?

It's a fucking cover, what do they want.

In previous instances where I'd seen that, basically they force you to allow ads to be displayed, and the original artist receives the ad revenue for that particular video as a means of recuperating licensing/royalty fees. Some groups (like WMG) will just take the video down until you replace the audio.