OCR00478 - Super Street Fighter II "Dee Jay's Caribbean Rave"

Ginnsu

Super Street Fighter II 'Dee Jay's Caribbean Rave'

Here is some more sweet McVaffe Street Fighter music to lift your spirits. I'm kind of thinking I'm going to burn all of McVaffe's stuff to one CD and make a point of listening to it for 1 hour and 20 minutes every day. It sounds simply amazing. Excellent work McVaffe, as usual.

• 3 months later...

Not having heard the original version, I don't know exactly what has happened, but from what I hear, McVaffe has undoubtably made some big improvements. A latin-sounding piano pulls off much of the melody, along with various electronic sounds that I can only describe as "phazzy". There's also a nice flute, and lots of awesome percussion (I think I even hear some Maracas). McVaffe utilizes his superb arrangement skills and manages to vary the beat quite a bit. I like this one quite a bit, and I have no doubt you will too.

Being that I'm from Jamaica, I've always had a bit of a bias towards Dee Jay's theme. This didn't really capture the reggae feel of the original, but rather a latin-type of piece. That's not a bad thing; after all that's the whole point of OC ReMix. I've also used this song as inspiration for a Dee Jay mix of my own without trying to copy this song. But this isn't about me, this is about a hell of a song that you should get your hands on.

-DCT

• 1 month later...

The boy's got rhythm, that's for sure! :D

More specifically, this mix shows a lock on polyrhythms that I only very rarely hear. From the kick-heavy backbeat, to the piano, and the maracas, and the "analog-synth" accompaniment, and and and....

The whole mix has a hard hitting feel that just floors me every time I hear it. The only gripe I have is the flute lead. It's just a little weak sounding next to the rest of the instruments. Perhaps a horn trio in its place? I dunno....I've rolled the possibilities around in my head for some time. If McVaffe, is watching this post, I'd love to hear back. :)

• 1 month later...

Dude... very, very diggable. I wasn't a huge fan of this when I first heard cause of the blend of synthy lines with latin instruments, but man - it's grown on me. Very fun, very groovy. The effects and filter-flangy stuff on the synths does add a lot too. The piano seems almost laid back too, and that - played against the relentless beat - creates a perticularly interesting mix that ya can't help but want to move to.

One complaint I could make is that the flute line isn't that interesting... If I were to do it I'd throw in trills, and short poppy stuff mingled in... and ooh, some trumpet and brass pops to accent that coulda been fun too. But yeah, that's just me.

Nice tune man. Groovalicious.

-Mazedude

• 1 month later...

I finally downloaded this for the first time tonight... and sweet Lord this is amazing! I was talking to BigShot on AIM at the time and I believe my exact words were "holy crap this is good!" I don't think I can improve upon my intial review now either. If someone were to ask me why its so good I'd tell them to load it into Winamp and hit play... you hear that? That's why its so good... because it just is.

• 6 months later...

I loved the flute, the techno-ish bass backround rocked, and the deep piano back there, this was great. I love how you mixed two styles of music; caribbean and techno. The finished product is one of the best musical styles I've ever heard. Ever.

...Ever. Seriously, it's that good. I'm gonna put this in my comp's drive, and listen to it OVER, and OVER, and OVER again.

Great wukk, McVaffe. :)!!

• 1 year later...

Awesome mix right here

Sweet synth sounds

Excellent instrumentation

Element of jazz, reggae

Nice melody and arrangement

Favourite parts are 0:13 for those cool notes and 1:11 for that great synth

This song somehow appeals to me because of sort of abstract element to it

Its great, definatly worth checking out

• 1 year later...

This is incredibly good. Totally party music, the beat is infectious, and the saws are very tasteful. The best part of this mix (besides the beat) is the sense of space.

Each instrument is respectful of each other, and there is a lot of variation between sections, most notably the trade offs between the saws and the flute. The piano is nicely handled, and all of the samples are clean and pretty high quality. Nothing here not to like, so check it out.

• 2 years later...

This is more Caribbean beach going party as opposed to Caribbean rave.

I'd have expected be faster, more techno, pulse pounding, etc.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just that I'm a stickler for truth in advertising. :<

Still it's very groovy, and I'm digging the flute. This is definitely worth checking out.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00478 - Super Street Fighter II "Dee Jay's Caribbean Rave"
  • 7 years later...