*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 'A New Adventure'

OceansAndrew

Name: Arceace

Email address:

Game: Sonic 4, and Sonic CD (Japan version)

Title: A New Adventure

Original tracks: Splash Hill Zone, Collision Chaos Zone

Splash Hill Zone:

Collision Chaos Zone: source

Comments:

This was my entry for round 1 of the Sonic Zone Remix Competition. Unfortunately I didn’t get any farther since I was up against halc, but it was still a really fun experience. I came up with this entire remix in about four days, which is a personal record for me. Though I like how it turned out, it was no match for halc’s submission, which in my opinion was the best in the whole round. The only goal that I had in mind while making this was to capture the feeling of energy and excitement for a brand new adventure, which is where the name of the song came from.

Special thanks to SuperiorX for hosting the competition and giving me the opportunity to participate. I also appreciate the efforts and feedback of everyone else in the competition. They were the ones that made it such an awesome experience, and I look forward to next time.

Enjoy!

-Arceace

• 4 weeks later...

I think the combination of the two themes was pretty good, and the arrangement had some great points. The sound effects that all Sonic mixes are required to have were tastefully used, and even the ending was decently thought out.

The samples throughout are leaving me a little underwhelmed, which I think is the main issue. The piano sounds super thin, and has some nice shimmer, but lacks body. The hihats sound cheap, and the snare is flimsy. I think the synth leads are nice, but would do well with some more prominent delay to help blend them in with the rest of the soundscape. The kick was strong enough, and the bass synths worked, but overall I was left wanting a more lush sound.

i think that there is a good foundation here, but the soundscape needs some love to get the track over the bar. I am definitely looking forward to a resub of this, I am excited to hear more material from you. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

hey, glad to see you submitted this. I assume it's the same version from the compo. I really loved the way you handled the arrangement for the most part, and there's some really great interplay between the two themes.

OA nailed a lot of the production/sound issues (especially that piano), which I agree are holding this back, although the overall production is pretty clean and balanced imo. it's a really tough vote, this would have been an easy pass a few years back and I could see this going either way now, but for now I'd also like to request that you take another pass at improving some of the sounds and samples and see if you can't build a slightly more.. sophisticated blend of sounds.

good luck with the rest of the vote, and also looking forward to hearing more of your work. :)

NO(please resub!)