Wobble Help

Hey guys, I have a question about wobble bass.

So I've created a track in Reaper, synced the LFO to the tempo and automated it so that all automations are on the beat. However, from measure to measure, as well as each time I play it back, it sounds different, as though it's starting from a different point in the wave or something.

https://www.box.com/s/i8j3joa8nyu34fvzle8l

I'd like each of those patterns to sound like the one from 0:03 to 0:06, but as you can see...they don't, even though each one is exactly two bars long and therefore, theoretically, starting at the same point on the lfo wave (is that right?).

Is this just something that you have to deal with? Render them as small sections and hope that they come out the right way when you hit play?

Thanks,

Kuolema

Although most offer the option to sync to the host tempo, some synths' LFOs don't start with the same phase each time a note is hit. For example, Synth1 does not sync phase whereas Massive offers a 'restart' binary option meaning the LFO will start with the same phase each time a new note is played.

To fix this if you have this phase problem, your best option is to export the wobble synth part soloed, until you get it with the right phase (or export more than you need and cut the audio)

However, investing in a more versatile synthesizer is a good option as well.

Although most offer the option to sync to the host tempo, some synths' LFOs don't start with the same phase each time a note is hit. For example, Synth1 does not sync phase whereas Massive offers a 'restart' binary option meaning the LFO will start with the same phase each time a new note is played.

To fix this if you have this phase problem, your best option is to export the wobble synth part soloed, until you get it with the right phase (or export more than you need and cut the audio)

However, investing in a more versatile synthesizer is a good option as well.

Ah, okay. Thanks!

I actually am using synth1 right now...good to know that not all synths will do that though.

Besides trying them out, is there any way to know if a synth has this feature or not?

Edit: Also, is it common, or is massive one of the exceptions? I really don't have the money for massive and I would hardly ever use it anyway...

Here's what's happening. You are, in some places, automating the LFO's frequency so that it cycles at a rate that doesn't line up with the measures and/or beats. When you change the frequency, say, on a downbeat, the sine is still somewhere in the middle of its cycle, so the sine with the new frequency begins at that point in the cycle. It then cycles at the correct rate, but it doesn't start at the zero position because it started in the middle of one of the previous frequency's cycles.

This should be fixable by being careful to use only values for the LFO frequency that keep the cycle synced and only changing the frequency at the end of a complete cycle. Probably what you will be using most will be rates that give you eighth-note triplets, eighth-notes, quarter-note triplets, and quarter notes. It should be easier to keep things in sync if you keep your wobble's note values in mind.

Some synths/filters may have a setting that resets the LFO's position every time you adjust frequency.

An alternate, albeit tedious, way to program the wobble is to automate the sinewave by hand. Some DAWs have automation drawing options that will give you a tempo-synced sine instead of a straight/freehand line. If you go this route, you can just automate the filter directly instead of locking it to the LFO.

Ah, okay. Thanks!

I actually am using synth1 right now...good to know that not all synths will do that though.

Besides trying them out, is there any way to know if a synth has this feature or not?

Edit: Also, is it common, or is massive one of the exceptions? I really don't have the money for massive and I would hardly ever use it anyway...

It is pretty common nowadays...not sure how 'new' the function is but with the whole dubstep explosion most higher end synths will have the option. To find out, you just have to trial or demo and play with it.

But you can def. make it work with Synth1 with a little more time required. I loved that synth dearly for a year or so but I've moved on :whatevaa:

An alternate, albeit tedious, way to program the wobble is to automate the sinewave by hand.

An alternate and much easier way to do it is to record the wobble at several speeds as audio instead of a MIDI track, and copy and paste these where needed.

This also makex complextro or whatever they call that stuff with the melodies quickly muting/unmuting really easy.

Seriously, you'd be amazed how lazy producers can be. If you have to dig a hole, use a shovel; not a teaspoon. The teaspoon will not result in a better hole.

Thanks guys. I'm going to use another synth for the moment because I want this to be as uncomplicated as possible :).

Another important thing is knowing what the basics of one really is, just in case it helps you get any new ideas on easier ways.

A wobble bass is just an LFO modulating the cutoff frequency of a synth. Any textural additions are up to you.

And yeah, it's also important to realize that the synth may just be not restarting on new notes because of the way it's programmed. Zebra2 is another alternative. It's half the price of Massive.

Another important thing is knowing what the basics of one really is, just in case it helps you get any new ideas on easier ways.

A wobble bass is just an LFO modulating the cutoff frequency of a synth. Any textural additions are up to you.

And yeah, it's also important to realize that the synth may just be not restarting on new notes because of the way it's programmed. Zebra2 is another alternative. It's half the price of Massive.

Yeah, I know basically what it's doing, but I thought that the lfo wave was also synced to the beats, which evidently isn't the case.

I have the Zebra2 demo, but it's still way too expensive. Honestly, I really only use free plugins :P.

Well, the symptom is that you start on the 0 degree phase (up-slope), then your second long cycle starts on the 90 degree phase because the LFO is not retriggering the phase and you're ending your previous wobble on the down-slope.

Here's a crude graph:

wobble_explanation.jpg

I don't know your particular synth, but there might be a setting to RETRIGGER the LFO on a new note, this should start on the up-slope/0 degree position.