Bastion - Bynn the Breaker (Moombahton Remix)

Mykah

Damn, I was hoping to be the one to break OCR's moombah cherry :mrgreen: Ok, I don't know a lot about the source so I just listened to it. I believe the sampled parts sound good, but they are too quiet next to the synth instrument stabs.

Also everything sound either centered or panned hard left/right so it sounds like things are mixed oddly and doesn't make the track sound very "full", that includes the bass especially. Beat percussion sounds nice, and all the instruments are good and have their place, but they could be mixed in better. Keep working at it :grin:

Sounds a lot better. The instruments have more room, it certainly doesn't sound as muddy and crowded as before.

After listening to the source tune that you have really taken a lot of the original source and just sampled it here. Although it you didn't do a bad job with it, having that many probably makes this too conservative of a remix for OCR.

But the idea is great though and the genre works well for the adaptation. I would like to do a bit of a collab if you don't mind. I've attempted tried to re-create the remix by using original instruments to re-arrange the track instead of sampling loops.

Yeah, I kinda knew it would be using too much of the source for OCR, I just created this to be a version of the original I could play in my DJ sets really.

Recreating the original instruments sounds really cool, I'll be interested to hear what you come up with :mrgreen:

Let me know if you'd like any of the stems from my version!

I've only completed one collab before, a couple years ago, and was rejected by the judges. But I've been on a moombahton groove lately so this would be something I'd like to do.

I think exporting our stuff as stems works best, it's agnostic to the DAW/editing software we choose. You can upload them to a file sharing service like Bitshare or Box.net. Just PM me the link.

In the meantime I can upload what I've tried to do on Soundcloud.

It's really sparse and repetitive up until 1:10, to give a pretty brief synopsis / opinion on this work in progress. It starts to seem cool after that, and the change at 1:45 is nice, but it doesn't seem like the piece develops appropriately. It just seems like a very slow build-up that adds or changes a percussive or backing synth element once in a while. There's no alternate verse, bridge, or chorus.. it's all just the singular pattern going throughout.

Well, this is no insult to the original song, since it is written for a specific usage. I will tell you now, sampling an entire song is not a remix and generally it is frowned upon. If you intended to submit this to OC ReMix, you would have to remove the original song, write the parts yourself, and add a lot of variation to the song to make it personalized and engaging. Good luck!

@ CC Ricers, awesome dude, will sort out some stems tonight! I just checked out your moombahton remixes on Soundcloud, nice work man!

@ Brandon Strader, yeah I realised now that this is sort of like a DJ edit and I should have made a more OCR friendly radio edit type tune, I seem to always make the mistake of uploading extended DJ versions of my remixes to OCR haha.

I'll make a new version that's shorter without the long DJ friendly 32 bar intro (it's sparse because it's meant to be mixed over) and we'll try and put together a new collab version with the most of the sampled bits removed, see if we can come up with a suitable version for OCR :mrgreen:

I agree with Brandon that it takes a while for the mix to pick up, but you intended it to be a DJ friendly track, which is a reasonable explanation. So now it's time to re-arrange it to this site's standards.

Cutting to the chase, here's my take on the remix: http://soundcloud.com/ccricers/scumbag-alley-alternate/s-jcELc It doesn't go too far from the source, but the build-ups and breakdowns are placed differently and I think it gets to the point faster.

PS. You're on version 28 now? Geez, maybe that's just a revision number and not a straight up public release :P

Wow, nice work man! I love what you've done with the synths at around the 1:25 mark.

My suggestion would be to lower the volume of the synth at 0:30, it's a bit too loud I think.

I'm just uploading my stems to dropbox so will PM you the links when they're up (not so fast on my rubbish slow net connection).

Yeah, that's just the revision number lol, it's only the 3rd uploaded version.

And moombastion? Genius!!!