Awful parts of awesome games *POTENTIAL SPOILERS*

Jax Mandrake

And Gargan Roo in FF9 has always bothered me. It's an annoying place with horrible, horrible music that makes the situation even worse.

Gargan Roo, or Fossil Roo? Gargan Roo (the one under Treno) isn't bad at all - it's actually one of my favorite grinding places in the early game. But Fossil Roo (under Qu's Marsh, connects the continents) I can agree with you on. The music never particularly bothered me, but it takes soooo long because of all the bloody gargant riding and the high random encounter rate, and it's not really that interesting of an area. And the mining minigame in Fossil Roo, whihc I think was supposed to be bigger than it was, was pretty forgettable and pointless - the big payoff from it is an item you can just synth by late disc three.

Crafting in the Tactics Ogre remake. It's massively time-consuming, OCD torturing, and the good equips break the game difficulty.

Being able to hold 99 repair kits in Skies of Arcadia. Impossible to lose an airship battle :/

Yes, the crafting is absolutely horrendous. Also, I never bothered to beat the game because the battles toward the end of the game TOOK FOREVER. Is it just me or was moving your characters in Tactics Ogre waaaaaayy too slow. If they had either shrank the maps or gave every class more movement (and made the game so that party members could all move through each other) it would've been a much more fun game.

As far as Wind Waker goes, the sailing would have been better if they had just shrank the ocean and the spaces between the stuff you actually want to get to.

See I never had a problem with the sailing because me and my friend would always make up ridiculous lyrics to the sea theme.

The one thing I do hate is the goddamn note system in Banjo-Kazooie. I dunno how many times I would go through a level with 70 or so notes just to die and have to collect them all over again.

The story of FF12 is awesome.

The sailing in Windwaker is awesome.

The desert in Breath of Fire 3 is awesome.

The camera in Metal Gear Solid is awesome.

You guys are all crazy-heads. :)

How about this one? Blight Town in Dark Souls. Ugh! It's really mostly because of the camera but the mosquitoes, slowdown, millions of tiers, and the poisonous swamp definitely add to it for me. Does anyone actually like Blight Town? If you do, you are amazing and I kneel before you.

I agree.

FF12 (if you pretend Ashe is the main character) has a really well presented story. Also incredible translation - best of the series.

Wind Waker sailing makes me happytime.

Bad stuffs:

FFX: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

FFX: Blitzball; mind numbingly boring and you have to do so much of it for Wakka's limits.

Assassin's Creed: The horse speed limit enforcement officers.

Pokemon: Caves = Zubat/Woobat emporiums.

I agree.

FF12 (if you pretend Ashe is the main character) has a really well presented story. Also incredible translation - best of the series.

Wind Waker sailing makes me happytime.

Bad stuffs:

FFX: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

FFX: Blitzball; mind numbingly boring and you have to do so much of it for Wakka's limits.

Assassin's Creed: The horse speed limit enforcement officers.

I forgot all about the AC traffic cops. That horse so much as trots faster than 2 mph, you're a dead man.

Another one that I remembered is the music puzzle in Myst. I'm sure to most who are more musically inclined, it was a cinch. But I waited almost 10 years to get past it because I couldn't match all the sounds right when I was a kid.

^Agree - another issue with Pokemon for me is leveling up pokemon that I don't like for their evo/pokedex - daycare dude only does 1 at a time and sometimes he'll get rid of skills that are potentially useful...same goes for pokemon that u DO like and the daycare guy could eff u over big time with that lol. Oh also, the gambling part of the game is almost impossible w/out save states :S

I loved the sailing in Wind Waker too, and I honestly didn't think the Triforce pieces were a big deal. They didn't take all that long if you used the teleportation song, and I usually work my way through all the treasure maps anyway, so it's just a few more on top of those. It certainly wasn't nearly as tedious as having to repeat the Ocean Temple multiple times in Phantom Hourglass.

I loved the sailing in Wind Waker too, and I honestly didn't think the Triforce pieces were a big deal. They didn't take all that long if you used the teleportation song, and I usually work my way through all the treasure maps anyway, so it's just a few more on top of those. It certainly wasn't nearly as tedious as having to repeat the Ocean Temple multiple times in Phantom Hourglass.

my problem was finding the rupees to buy the maps. that's what i remember, at least.

Triforce hunting in Wind Waker's definitely up there.

But the Arkham Asylum/City games have a couple of grating moments. Asylum is pretty much stellar start-to-finish with the exception of the Killer Croc fight. Honestly, that's just really tedious. City has any part where you have to ride on any platform floating in water and using the Batclaw to pull yourself around. Blemishes on two really great games.

Also, I'm not a fan of the boss fights that expect you to battle unarmed in the Dead Rising series either.

wat

I beat it on the second try, with both tries totalling less than ten minutes

It's not that it's hard. Or frustrating. I beat it my first try, actually. It's just extremely tedious and boring for a game that's usually much more interesting than that. The very end of it is good, but the rest of it's just dull.

...Though I didn't think of using the line launcher. That would've been smart. :V

I feel smart because I never died on croc even on the first playthrough on hard. And I used the line launcher. Of course, zero punctuation gave me a heads up to just throw a batarang when he comes up and it made it really easy.

Actually, I feel really really smart because I actually platinumed the game without a guide. I've only done that one other time before (R&C ACiT).

If I had to say that I didn't like a part in that game, it was when we needed to shut down the titan going through the water lines and so many titans and enemies came out of the elevators. It took me so many tries. What I did like about the game is that your experience gave you your health back. That was interesting.

EDIT: ok fine, the only thing i looked up was the riddler map locations.

If I had to say that I didn't like a part in that game, it was when we needed to shut down the titan going through the water lines and so many titans and enemies came out of the elevators. It took me so many tries.

This is part of what I love about this topic, is getting to see the variety of answers even for a single game.

I actually really liked that fight set piece myself. It was challenging but a good test of skill up until that point. Of course, I played on Normal so I had the Counter notifications, and not having those when playing on Hard would make that considerably worse. So I definitely could see how that part might've been very annoying.

That fight was a royal pain, but it was the sort of pain where you knew you could beat it if you just did a little bit better on your next try. I don't know how many deaths I had, but it was really gratifying to finally pull it off. Kind of reminds me of the elevator sequence near the end of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, come to think of it.

And speaking of Arkham Asylum, one thing that drove me crazy during that was trying to get the high score rankings on the combat challenges. Some of those levels were just brutal in the score that you had to achieve. By the end, though, I wound up getting pretty dame good at the combat system, and I flat-out shattered a few of the required scores, so that felt pretty damn good.