Awful parts of awesome games *POTENTIAL SPOILERS*

Jax Mandrake

A few worth sharing..

Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask: Clock runs out at the worst time. I always found myself getting stuck in some key areas, and that darn moon comes crashing down. It made me quit in a heartbeat (after the tenth try, I lied its actually too numerous to even mention).

Devil May Cry (series) - having to max out the combo meter, only to see it sink because of some off-screen enemy. I admit I can mix it up with the best of them, however those darn enemies love to show up out of nowhere. And just when you start to get a nice rhythm. Bam! They've got you knocked on your butt.

Halo (series) oh hey the ending.. yeah next game (does it ever end!?) When I divulged into this series, I thought it would find its wrap up point but it never really found one. It just goes on.. and to think its spread into a mini-series into other legacies. Seriously it was a neat idea, but how far can we really stretch it?!

Gears of War (series)- what happened? that's it!? c'mon. The game altogether was alright, but it was the letdown of the ending. Sure it felt solemn that everything fought for meant squat. Oh and it didn't resolve anything.

Sonic 06 - Some stages will just put you to the test. See entire game or visit any Sonic fansite to read of its great terror. (but a lovely soundtrack!)

Castlevania - Legacy of Shadows - blah blah... oh hey you're Dracula!? I don't know how to put this in honest words. I didn't like the direction they went with remastering the beginning of the legacy. But at least its expanding the CV storyline (or it pulled a Doctor Who all along)

Metal Gear Solid 4 - um not the end?

Ooh, here's another fun one. Jet Force Gemini is a fantastic third-person shooter/platformer by Rare for the N64, with an amazing soundtrack. (Srsly, y no ReMixes of it? :() Over the course of the game, there are a few mini-game segments where you have to pilot this little hover-bot called Floyd through these 3D mazes, collecting some items along the way. For most of them, even getting the highest rating (which isn't strictly necessary to beat the game) is fairly simple, but there's one track in particular that's absolutely brutal. Getting the required Gold rating is bad enough, but truly completing it? I can't even guess how many times I tried. My stupid stubborn perseverance wouldn't let me just forget it, and after many fits of fury, I finally pulled it off. And I'm never doing that damn track again. :P

The Dissidia games were fun but they reduced all the characters to

"why am i fighting?"

"I have no idea"

"Guess i'll keep fighting until i figure it out." (stories in fighters are pointless anyway but at least they tried)

Heheh that's kinda true but bear in mind how limited they were with the likes of, Onion Knight, WoL and Firion and some of those other early games where there wasn't (if any) personality attached to the characters.

The personalities also seem inconsistant at times unless they pulled everyone from some point mid-adventure though based on the dialogue and their memories it would seem the character's individual adventures have all concluded by the time of Dissidia. Since the personalities have reverted in some cases, notably Cloud, who definitively recovered a little from his misery and emoness by the end of FFVII but he and Squall seem to have reverted harshly.

Anyway my own contribution:

Valkyria Chronicles- The ending, specifically Faldio's actions.

I won't spoil much of it, but it feels pointless, unnecessary and a cheap way to invoke drama to me what he did.

Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask: Clock runs out at the worst time. I always found myself getting stuck in some key areas, and that darn moon comes crashing down. It made me quit in a heartbeat (after the tenth try, I lied its actually too numerous to even mention).

baby.jpg

i just finished playing through this a few months back. that scene just made no sense.

I know right, like everything was perfectly ok, then Faldio had to go and screw everything up. I mean the big bad was powered down and beaten, and the big explosion which threatened everyone after might not have happened if Faldio hadn't gone and dropped the powerful-looking high-tech weapons down a shaft to the engine...

Oh and when Rosie broke out into song... ahaha.. dear god.

That really made me cringe, but mostly because they need to stop dubbing jrpgs with the same handful of bland or lousy actors. After seeing Fragile in english, I seriously thought that there was Jonny Basch, one other dude and one woman. Turns out there were ten VAs, and most of them were women. The female VAs they keep getting are so terrible that they are all starting to the same now.

What they really need is the option to turn voice acting off in more games, so we can just read text and imagine voices back like we used to. The people who aren't thrown by the terrible acting hired by Nippon Ichi or Atlus or whatever can still listen to stuff spoken in english, while the people who get irritated by it can just mute the damn characters. It's one of the first options I look for when going into the setup for a game.

Edit: However they can keep putting Steve Blum in everything they want. My beef is mostly with the female VAs.

Heheh that's kinda true but bear in mind how limited they were with the likes of, Onion Knight, WoL and Firion and some of those other early games where there wasn't (if any) personality attached to the characters.

The personalities also seem inconsistant at times unless they pulled everyone from some point mid-adventure though based on the dialogue and their memories it would seem the character's individual adventures have all concluded by the time of Dissidia. Since the personalities have reverted in some cases, notably Cloud, who definitively recovered a little from his misery and emoness by the end of FFVII but he and Squall seem to have reverted harshly.

Dissidia had such potential. The villains, in general, were done wonderfully. Garland, in particular, was just given so much more... meat.

The heroes on the other hand... well, I found it odd that the two toughest, ballsiest, no-nonsense characters were the girl and the kid. The game took characters who in their respective games had become epically heroic and reverted them to the mindset of "I'm fighting for friendship!" It got annoying really quickly. Their journeys in Dissidia were hampered annoyingly frequently by "But, gee, what about my friends? Life is so hard!" It was laughable. Terra, on the other hand? Her biggest worry was that she would flip out and murder the fuck out of everyone.

Given, I never played Duodecim. Perhaps the characterization was improved?

Perhaps the characterization was improved?

Nope, stayed the same.

All characters:

"why am i fighting?"

"I have no idea so i guess i'll keep fighting until i figure it out."

Laguna was the only character that didn't come off that way. Tifa I can't remember at all. and I didn't realize kain wore purple lipstick. kinda drained the character for me. :-|

Fun fighter though. If you don't like fighters.

TTT2 in 3 days!!!

Nope, stayed the same.

All characters:

"why am i fighting?"

"I have no idea so i guess i'll keep fighting until i figure it out."

Laguna was the only character that didn't come off that way. Tifa I can't remember at all. and I didn't realize kain wore purple lipstick. kinda drained the character for me. :-|

Fun fighter though. If you don't like fighters.

TTT2 in 3 days!!!

In the game's defence......

Based on the premise the characters lose almost ALL their memories (unless they win), and the good guys have been losing for a while. They have to figure out what they are fighting for as that appears to be the key to manifesting a crystal so if you have an issue with that it's more with the plot than anything else. Plus the resetting of memories might explain why their characterisation resets somewhat with only the strongest memories (their enemies) getting through.

Though at least Duodecim introduces reports which flesh out characters a bit as they just consist of small side stories for fluff above anything else. Like who Cecil is really a schoolyard prankster who teases Firion saying he has a crush on lightning before promptly trying to hook them up.

In the game's defence......

Based on the premise the characters lose almost ALL their memories (unless they win), and the good guys have been losing for a while. They have to figure out what they are fighting for as that appears to be the key to manifesting a crystal so if you have an issue with that it's more with the plot than anything else. Plus the resetting of memories might explain why their characterisation resets somewhat with only the strongest memories (their enemies) getting through.

Though at least Duodecim introduces reports which flesh out characters a bit as they just consist of small side stories for fluff above anything else. Like who Cecil is really a schoolyard prankster who teases Firion saying he has a crush on lightning before promptly trying to hook them up.

Yeah the reports in Duodecim help a lot.

Laguna's scene with Squall is probably one of the best in the game. Then again, that's because it's Laguna. :P

Also, being able to see the story beforehand and seeing Zidane want to help Kuja; that was something that directly related to FF9 itself, particularly right after the final battle.

And the other thing Duodecim has going for it: Gilgamesh.

Duodecim for me was ruined by having to play as the new characters in a set order in the story mode. I liked it better in the first game when you could do them in the order you wanted, that way I could save the characters I didn't like or enjoy playing as for last.

But making me play as Lightning for the tutorial and first chapter, Vaan for the second , then Laguna for the third? I don't think my interest in a game has ever been killed off as quickly as Duodecim did.

Yeah the reports in Duodecim help a lot.

Laguna's scene with Squall is probably one of the best in the game. Then again, that's because it's Laguna. :P

Also, being able to see the story beforehand and seeing Zidane want to help Kuja; that was something that directly related to FF9 itself, particularly right after the final battle.

And the other thing Duodecim has going for it: Gilgamesh.

Yep Gilgamesh.

Also Tidus ruining Jecht's chances of being a good guy kinda sucked. Since Jecht is amazing.