OCR02490 - Shadowrun "Running the Cyberpunks"

djpretzel

I am generally against ultra-repetitive songs like this, but here's what I got to say:

Good things: Decent automated filter effects. The poly trance saw at 2:00 and other similar spots feels sidechained as well as the bass, and that comes off as strange to me, but not too bad. Bass sounds great. I liked the breakdown at 4:20. It was probably my favorite part in the entire song. It's too bad it was so short.

"Not good" things: Repetitive, sparse soundscape. The arpeggios at 2:31 continue to repeat for far too long. It was cool at first, but each time it replayed in the same way, it got less and less cool. If the bass notes were simplified at 4:00, it would have helped. The instrumentation remains essentially the same throughout, and demonstrates some static textures. The delayed cymbal ending is also cheesy, as mentioned by the judges.

Edited by timaeus222

This is great, I'm really finding very little to complain about. The repetition doesn't bother me at all, I expect it with the genre, plus the song is so excellent that I'd be disappointed without the repetition. The textures never feel static or get old to me. Awesome comeback, FFmusic Dj! 8)

Edited by Cash

I wonder what kept him away for so long. Force of Light by him and SGX is one of my top OCRemixes. This one is a pleasant return, it's partway between electro house and trance but manages not to be a boring middle of the road trouse cashin as it actually satisfies most of the requirements of both genres rather than neither. I think it might be a bit on the long side for the progression it's got but I like it!

9 years!? Wow.. I just can't believe that!! I have most of his music (from OCR) I just can't believe I all got it from so long ago...!! Well it is a real pleasure to have him back, I've always were a fan! This song will join the others and fit nicely alongside :)

Edited by YoshMaster

• 1 year later...

Really is a case of mileage may vary when it comes to music like this, because if you're a fan of it, you can tolerate a lot more repetition and build than others. To me, even though it does run pretty long and hit some repetitive sections, I think you handled the repetition issue fairly well by evolving the piece little by little, but I can see how others may feel differently. It is a tricky thing that comes down to taste and ears. Either way, FFmusic Dj's return last year was quite a welcomed sight and this ReMix showed a lot of improvement in his talent in my opinion. Very good, I like it a lot.

• 5 months later...

Huh. So cyberpunk does go into trance rather well. Satisfying. :D

Shadowrun SNES is also one of my favourite games -- and you've captured the feel of the game in this one. Bit of street running and matrix play and concert all melded together nicely. ^_^

• 1 year later...

Huh. So cyberpunk does go into trance rather well. Satisfying. :D

Shadowrun SNES is also one of my favourite games -- and you've captured the feel of the game in this one. Bit of street running and matrix play and concert all melded together nicely. ^_^

Personally, I thought the Genesis version was more true to the subject-matter, but they were both good.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02490 - Shadowrun "Running the Cyberpunks"