Game Duels vol.1 ~ a Video Game Mashup EP

Dj Mokram

Nitro Game Injection presents: Game Duels vol.1 ~ a Video Game Mashup EP

GDcov.jpg

VGMdb: http://vgmdb.net/album/35115

Inspired by Nitro Game Injection's Versus Month, GAME DUELS Volume 1 is a unique concept pitting three iconic characters (Cowboy, Ninja and Warrior) against each other in a VGM battle-royale. Each musician chooses two of the three protagonists (or themes), and proceed to create an arrangement mashing up two or more songs from games that fit their selected themes. The result is an EP album spanning all generations of game systems (from the C64 or the NES all the way to the XB360/PS3), and featuring arrangements of music from No More Heroes, Ninja Gaiden, Knight'n'Grail, Live-A-Live, Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy VI, Hagane, and Prince of Persia. Let the duels begin!

TRACKLIST:

01 Chernabogue - The Assassins Association [2:51]

Games: No More Heroes (Wii) vs Final Fantasy VI (SFC)

Songs arranged: N.M.H., Shadow's Theme

Composers: Masafumi Takada, Nobuo Uematsu

02 Omigadrive - Sixgun and the Silent Blade [3:47]

Games: Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) vs Ninja Gaiden II (NES)

Songs arranged: Ocelot Youth, Title theme

Composers: Harry Gregson-Williams, Norihiko Hibino, Shitamachi Kajiya, Mayuko Okamura

03 Dj Mokram - Sword Sparks [3:51]

Games: Prince of Persia 2008 (XB360/PS3) vs Hagane (SNES)

Songs arranged: Title, Main theme, The Warrior, Stage 1-1, Challenge of the Warrior

Composers: Inon Zur, Stuart Chatwood, Takahiyo Abe

04 Eino Keskitalo - Kningjan Grailden [3:20]

Games: Ninja Gaiden (XBOX) vs Knight'n'Grail (C64)

Songs arranged: Aquaducts, Menu theme, Well of Wishes

Composers: Wakana Hara, Hans Axelsson

05 Rexy - Don't Get Your Katana Up [4:50]

Games: Live a Live (SFC) vs Live a Live (SFC)

Songs arranged: Wanderer, Secret Mission

Composers: Yoko Shimomura

The album is available for free download, in either 192K mp3 or Lossless Flac.

Hope you'll enjoy this fun little EP put together by folks over at the KNGI forums.

We'll be organizing a second volume if there's enough interest/participation. :wink:

Y'all should be checking this out, it's a concise package of quality tunes with a really fun concept behind it. It covers a lot of ground style-wise. I also think it's cool it has a bunch of games there have been no OC ReMixes of - Prince of Persia (2008), Hagane, Knight 'n' Grail, Ninja Gaiden (XBox), and Live-A-Live. Lots of systems covered too: three of the nine games are from SNES, but the rest are all from different systems.

Dj Mokram did an outstanding job directing this thing. He worked very hard to get his EP done - and released! - in a short time-frame, which made it exciting to participate to and also obviously got good results out of the participants. The concept itself also worked great. It was fun to the themes and the tunes for them, and make them work together.

I can't speak for my own tune, but at least 4/5 of this EP is excellent, so you shouldn't overlook this release!

--Eino

Y'all should be checking this out, it's a concise package of quality tunes with a really fun concept behind it. It covers a lot of ground style-wise. I also think it's cool it has a bunch of games there have been no OC ReMixes of - Prince of Persia (2008), Hagane, Knight 'n' Grail, Ninja Gaiden (XBox), and Live-A-Live. Lots of systems covered too: three of the nine games are from SNES, but the rest are all from different systems.

Dj Mokram did an outstanding job directing this thing. He worked very hard to get his EP done - and released! - in a short time-frame, which made it exciting to participate to and also obviously got good results out of the participants. The concept itself also worked great. It was fun to the themes and the tunes for them, and make them work together.

I can't speak for my own tune, but at least 4/5 of this EP is excellent, so you shouldn't overlook this release!

--Eino

Eino, you've forgotten about this already? :tomatoface:

But yes, I've managed to grab a hold of the EP myself and put it on iPod rotation. Solid stuff all around from all, and I have to say I enjoyed having my face melted off by Omigadrive's track :nicework:

Thanks for the comments, Guifrog.. let's hear more from people who aren't on the project (or Kyle) :>

Eino, you've forgotten about this already? :tomatoface:

Yes indeed. And I failed the search (I put in "Live-a-Live", it's "Live a Live" in the database).

I got a couple of friends to grab the EP and take a listen. It's short enough that people actually seem to do that.. I didn't have much success persuading folks to listen to ARMed and DANGerous - I guess the sheer size of that album makes it a treat for Wild ARMs fans, but a bit more challenging for a casual listener. No such problem here! I got positive comments too, not much specifics, apart from the Omigadrive track sounded "very professional" according to one commenter. I'll agree!

--Eino

• 2 weeks later...