Global-Trance - Traveler (DJ Set)

Global-Trance

Wow it's been like two years since I did something like this.

I had this on Soundcloud and Facebook but I guess I didn't post it here. Might as well do it now. Sometimes I forget I started DJing and posting the mixes here originally since back when UnModerated was still around. That's a long time ago!

http://soundcloud.com/hi-im-gt/global-trance-traveler-dj-set (Please add to the listen count!)

You can also download it and the tracklist @ http://www.global-trance.com/misc/

As usual, I mix harmonically by playing and overlapping tracks that harmonize well to give nice smooth transitions. If you don't know a thing about DJ mixing in key, here's something for you. Some of the laptop DJs floatin around still got a thing or two to learn. :) This mix mostly has a melodic beachy vibe with this and that. Next set should be more raw stuff like electro house but I will see if I can make time for it during grad school. We'll see. Whatever I put together, I'll end up always share it here too.

Have fun. Share. Whatever you wanna do.

Cheers.

Traveler

01 - Aly and Fila vs JWAYDAN - Coming Home (Eximinds Remix)

02 - Steve Brian and Rene Ablaze - In This Whole World (Original Mix)

03 - Lange featuring Emma Hewitt - Live Forever (Steve Brian Remix)

04 - Ron Hagen and Al Exander - Last Minute (Original Mix)

05 - Ali Wilson - Pandora (Original Mix)

06 - Audien - Selective Hearing (Willem de Roo Remix)

07 - Nhato - Far East Garden (Original Mix)

08 - Hiroyuki Oda - Day Break (Nhato Remix)

09 - Aly and Fila vs Roger Shah featuring Adrina Thorpe - Perfect Love (Original Mix)

10 - Skytech - Rocket Science (Original Mix)

11 - Mike Shiver vs Matias Lehtola - Slacker (Original Mix)

12 - SHato and Paul Rockseek - Wonderfooled (Radion 6 Remix)

Kickass, man. Thank you for bringing back the mix sets. I know this might be a bit much to ask(so feel free to tell me to STFU), but would it be possible to add timestamps to the tracklist? I was gonna ask you via e-mail, but spaced on it.

ANYONE WHO HASN'T LISTENED TO GT'S SETS:

...I am so sorry that you have missed out. Please correct this. Awesome tunes, cleanly mixed. I have all of his previous sets for long drives, and there's nothing better.

this man is a good man

are you using ableton for this mr. trance?

Hey Mr. Briggs

I am a little too old fashioned for Ableton. It IS a really handy tool. I just haven't gotten used to it yet. I tried out that HiQ pitch preserving warping a couple times from your recommendation but I didn't like the subtle distortion :P I use slightly older tools with similar capabilities to emulate how I play with vinyl records. Mixing vinyl is still my prefered method but buying vinyl is becoming increasingly more of a hassle. And vinyl pressings warp easily.

P.S. DJing with a crossfader on the mixer in harmonic mixing is dumb. I don't recommend it if you have been using it.

Hey Mr. Briggs

I am a little too old fashioned for Ableton. It IS a really handy tool. I just haven't gotten used to it yet. I tried out that HiQ pitch preserving warping a couple times from your recommendation but I didn't like the subtle distortion :P I use slightly older tools with similar capabilities to emulate how I play with vinyl records. Mixing vinyl is still my prefered method but buying vinyl is becoming increasingly more of a hassle. And vinyl pressings warp easily.

P.S. DJing with a crossfader on the mixer in harmonic mixing is dumb. I don't recommend it if you have been using it.

yeah, I definitely know the subtle distortion you're talking about. it's even more noticeable when using 320k mp3s.

I actually really love using the crossfader because 1. it keeps me engaged with the arrangment while I'm performing and 2. I can use it to easily "remix" or make room for my sampler channels to come through with a sound effect or whatever

I'm curious, why do you dislike using the crossfader with harmonic mixing? I use a curve that keeps both songs at a high volume for as long as possible while fading

yeah, I definitely know the subtle distortion you're talking about. it's even more noticeable when using 320k mp3s.

I actually really love using the crossfader because 1. it keeps me engaged with the arrangment while I'm performing and 2. I can use it to easily "remix" or make room for my sampler channels to come through with a sound effect or whatever

I'm curious, why do you dislike using the crossfader with harmonic mixing? I use a curve that keeps both songs at a high volume for as long as possible while fading

The main reason that I ignore the crossfader entirely is merely to have more control over the frequencies of incoming and outcoming tracks without killing too much of the volume of either one. This style works for me very well because as you can tell from my sets I love buttersmooth transitions that can still make an impact. Let's take an example here in the Traveler set.

Around 12:33, Live Forever is on its way out while Last Minute is coming in. The high frequency hi-hats and what have you from Last Minute were subtly introduced and the lows were all the way down from the start. At 12:52 as the vocal is finishing the line "I won't believe in you", this is the moment I drop all of the lows from Live Forever and raise the lows from Last Minute to normal level. It's like I did an abrupt crossfade but with just the lows between the two. I drop volume just a bit for Live Forever too. The transition is essentially flawless because

1.) This is the moment Live Forever's bassline drops most of its elements.

2.) This is also the moment Last Minute introduces the most significant part of its bassline.

3.) Live Forever is in D-Flat Major and Last Minute is B-Flat minor so they harmonize together and there shouldn't be any clashing with the timing.

I leave the highs from Live Forever up so you can hear bits of the hi-hats and parts of the chopped up vocal samples that trail out all while slowly lowering the volume slider and time it so that I cut out Live Forever's volume almost entirely on the introduction of the guitar at 13:20.

I just love a lot of overlap with percussion from both incoming and outgoing tracks and that's just something I can't quite nail with use of the crossfader. It just kills too much volume for how I play. If it totally works for your style then go for it... but at least pass your ideas by me so I can always critique and try to help you get more radbones at DJing. :)

I hope that answers your question. Try listening to my transition from Last Minute to Pandora, the tribal-ish track right after with my explanation in mind. It should be pretty clear I essentially handled it the same way.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...