OCR01426 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Clash at the Mountains"

djpretzel

Sweet! I spotted this back when it was still a WiP (and barely 1 minute long), and was really looking forward to the finished product. zircon certainly does not fail to deliver, and this is one of my favourite themes from the game to boot. :D

As others have said, it is a pity about the shortness of this piece, but the source material was pretty damn catchy to begin with, so it's all good. The electronic coverage is like a sexy new suit for it.

Repeat mode activated!

omg.............

I have been waiting SO LONG for a remix this sweet of Zelda.......

I have an entire video of it in my head, and I replay it every time I listen.

here's a simple version of the show going on up there.

Zircon shoud get paid to do this sort of thing, and even if not, keep his skill high, and on good games like the Zelda series.

As for Bobwillis's review, he's short about 460 +'s!

In short, Zircon is my new god. :)

EDIT: I just went and listened to his other stuff, and the only reason I didn't immediately save them is that I didn't know the originals. I believe in that, although I'm sure they are just as faithful. (Listening to the TMNT one now--it rocks! I may save it!) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Really like the intro of this one. Really like all of it. You can never have too much Link's Awakening, right? Not exactly what I was expecting, I thought it would have even more of a battle-theme-esque feel to it, but it could be just me. Reminds me of battle music from an RPG, although I'm not sure why. Also, as Flare4War said, pairs up very well with Disco Dan's Braving Tal Tal Heights. Both are awesome. Both highly recommended!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...that first distinct sound you hear when you play the song had me skeptical at first, but as soon as it started rolling, everything began to fall into place.

The electric guitar, for some reason, impressed me. I don't know why, but I really felt it for some reason. Loved it through and through.

Favorite part? 1:46, don't ask why, it's 12:11 AM and my mind isn't quite up to par as it should be haha. This song just rocks.

Pick it up IF you are a fan of Link's Awakening. Definitely something you need if you love the Tal Tal Heights song. However, I WILL say that this is closer to the original than Disco Dan's. So if you're just looking for a MP3 version of the original, this is the closest you'll get...I think. But even as a remix this is an awesome tune. Good job!

• 4 weeks later...

Now that's catchy. This remix has really grown on me these past few weeks and now I can proudly say it's a must-download for all Zelda fans. It's Zelda with a Sci-Fi twist! Heh, I can really see Link in a green Star-Trek suit driving his ship through the stars with the Master Light Saber, hahahahaha! I dunno, that's just how I interpret it...for now at least...Bottom line, this is amazing, zircon, keep 'em coming!

• 1 year later...

I love the style in which this is re-done. Nothing like a good distorted synth to blend it all in. I like all the side work that was done on this too. All the other minor instruments give the foreground really good support.

You know what this piece really reminds me of? The way the style and patches were chosen? The Chrome Gadget Zone from Sonic 3. (One of the 2 player sprint matches...) I like to hear different layers of music. This re-mix really does that.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is the best track on link's awakening if you ask me. It's like the main Zelda theme that we all know an love and yet the melody is just a tad different, something nice that the Zelda series doesn't typically show us.

I really liked the mix as well, a bit slower than the original, but fun nonetheless.

I almost get a Metriod feel from this peace. Seems like it might make a nice theme for Samus gunning down those stupid hopping spiders from that cursed mountain.

• 2 months later...

Link's Awakening. Probably the first game in which I truly recognised a game soundtrack as a singular thing, not just something that was attached to the level I was playing to make it seem more unique. Many fond memories wasting away good hours of holiday time playing Gameboy Color.

As for the mix, I really love how it doesn't bother messing around. There could have been a long buildup, a drawn out intro or something and it would have been fine. But less is oftentimes more, as we all know, and the intro that is present here is BETTER than what would have been acceptable.

The synthed up instrumentation is... well it's zircon so it's above stellar. I also really loved the Metroid Prime-ish goings-on in the middle of the song. Awesome. If I had paid for it, it would have given me value for money without a doubt.

• 4 months later...

In case this wasn't able to be deduced from the title...I downloaded this Remix first, of all the remixes on OC. Totally awesome: this somehow managed to make me think of epicness, adventure, and, somehow, of Saturday morning cartoons. I freaking love this Remix. I listen to it so much it's unfortunately gotten old : - P but yeah...major kudos for this piece.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not adverse to Aversa! Though i'm not super pleased with the lead sound, the rest of the mix more than makes up for it, with a fun and jammin take on a pretty classic theme. Interesting to hear this in comparison to the recently posted halc take on the source. I think this is one of the cases of the source being so good, no one really wants to mess with it.

• 4 months later...

When I first came to ocremix, the first remix I downloaded was this one.

When I first heard this mix I was very impressed with the production values and thought to myself that everyone who submitted on the site must be a big step beyond my skills at that point and I wasn't wrong :P

So... what do I think of this now?

Well, its zircon so production is crisp and very clean. Only complaints I have which are nitpicks are the slightly piercing sine wave lead. Also, I find the ending slightly disappointing as the pad has too much release on it and notes from the chord before the tonic when the ending note hits can be heard which brings down the ending, not to mention it cuts off (I did a cut off ending in my own mix of this theme however so I can't talk :P)

Nitpicks from the production aside, its very impressive, great job on that, tho I wouldn't expect anything less from zircon.

The arrangement wasn't as good as the production I feel. The arrangement and production combined invoked a very dreamlike soundscape which suits the game well enough, but the excitement I get from the original was missing, and I felt that the arrangement could have been a tad more daring, it seemed pretty standard to me.

Still a cool mix tho, recommended.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01426 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Clash at the Mountains"