OCR01427 - EarthBound "Twoson Hits the Road"

djpretzel

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm going to have to be the heckler on this one. The overall EQ on all the leading instruments is rough. The track in general feels like it lacks reality for being a bluegrass folkie song. The beat is compressed and equed pretty well, but is a bit predictable. I know no one wants to hear me diss Pretzel, but this is the track I have to do it on. Being that he never gets a fair review I'm sure I will be punished for saying all this. Not only is this a style of music few video games will want to use these days, but about the only thing this track is worth is the ambiance music in a country buffet.

Ive been listening to your music for a while DJ Pretzel, and this one just does not do it for me.

Plus I am a little vindictive about how you didn't respond to my messages on myspace.

Ive been listening to your music for a while DJ Pretzel, and this one just does not do it for me.

Plus I am a little vindictive about how you didn't respond to my messages on myspace.

I don't do much on MySpace... I'm not alone, it's sort of on the wane :) Anyways, please feel free to say what you like. I'm 110% happy with this track and consider it one of my very best, but your mileage will of course vary. I think I get plenty of fair reviews, here; if people are intent on kissing my ass just because I run the site, they could be doing a MUCH better job :nicework:

• 1 month later...

A song for a journey... that's the first thing I thought when I heard this. Then I read the writeup. The imagery I was to post having been curtailed by what's already been said, I'll simply state that you've painted it masterfully, djp.

Per the tag, yes, it's happy, but I think optimistic would be a better descriptor. Perhaps anticipatory, but not necessarily. Lighthearted, loving, longing, and a little aloof (with some absolutely accidental alliteration). It is as childhood innocence but recaptured in music... for those no longer children it's a reminder of the pure, simple goodness in life. And how we can, in spite of our hardships and any supposed jadedness, learn to live that way again. A song for a journey... of life.

And I daresay that can be zen, if you choose to realize the joy to be found in every moment in addition to the potential of the future. And I daresay because that's where this remix compels me.

Side note: I stumbled upon this while looking through remixes I've heard for ones that 'soothed the mind', for a thread (and lo' I find now that Arek commented on this one long ago!), and it caught me off-guard how perfectly this fit the bill. And how I've managed to be ignorant of it for so long.

Though it took 'til the second listening-time around, this is now a favorite among favorites. Thank you, Mr Lloyd.

Also, The Xyco's and Ventrex's reviews were ace. I've found that I repeated The Xyco quite a bit, so perhaps I should have read the reviews before writing mine, but I've said what I wanted to say.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably my favorite track by djp.

Anyway, awesome source material, and honestly it's hard to go wrong. I'm totally into having a strong melody in a song and this totally delivers.

It's a simple mix that captures the essence of the original in a great way and just sort of retells it!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Easily my favorite DJP mix / EarthBound mix, and probably within my top favorite 5 OC ReMixes, project or not.

Brilliant mood and instrumentation, excellent use of source (love how the ending of the soundstone melody was incorporated throughout various portions) makes this one a fine mix. I can definitely tell this mix was crafted with a lot of heart and a strong love of the game in question. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01427 - EarthBound "Twoson Hits the Road"