OCR01427 - EarthBound "Twoson Hits the Road"

djpretzel

Wow, very nice. It actually reminded me of some of the music from Chrono Cross.

I was going to say the same thing. This song sounds a lot like the stuff that Yasunori Mitsuda did for Chrono Cross and the Shadow Hearts series.

It's a very nice blend of elements from both franchises, and GrayLightning is right: stick it on repeat and this song grows on you.

Pretzel -

This is my first time posting. I've long been a fan of your work and of OCRemix in general, and I just wanted to say how grateful I am for all the work that everyone at this site does. Especially in the last few months the quality of most of the stuff that has been put out here has been staggeringly high, to the degree that I have largely stopped listening to many of my regular CDs in favor of OCRemixes.

As regards this latest Remix, I just wanted to congratulate you on what I consider your best song to date. Bravo.

Wow, very nice. It actually reminded me of some of the music from Chrono Cross.

Yeah exactly!!! When you say that folk isn't used in videogames Chrono Cross is your exception!:)

Anyway I love this remix it's very nostalgic and calm... I like the way it's not "sad" yet not "happy" either...

WOW. that was freaking awesome! Like YoshMaster said I liked the tone of the song how it isn't emo like how a lot of calm mixes seem to be.

Excellent stuff DJP!

We should have more stuff like this. Anyone agree? I'm not a remixer by any means, but as a classically trained musician it is nice to see a happy medium between punk rock and depressing guitar mixes. I would remix stuff like this if I could but I just don't have the means or the time to devote to it. The best I can do is support this community

[/tangent]

Edit: as the top post I will say somthing important: DOWNLOAD THIS REMIX!

David Lloyd has always impressed me with his ecclectic and diverse musical backrounds and tastes, as well as his ability to implement them into his own music as a method of interpretting a certain emotion or as a depiction of a scene with an emotion.

As one who has had his share of travels along the Appalachian Mountains through the fall and winter months that seemed to last until the end of time, I can clearly see the concept being addressed here. Kinetic yet relaxed, like a group of close friends on a road trip laughing up their worldly troubles or silently reflecting upon the natural beauty of the ancient mountains around them as they curl around the windy roads that scale the terrain.

DJP really has a knack for conveying emotion in a heart-warming way. The strings and piano feel very strong in this sense, with the rhythm keeping things from becoming too dragged down by personal memories that might otherwise arise with such instruments, but rather keep things moving ahead and not taking themselves too seriously. It's a very lighthearted and reflective track that seems to convey the simplistic joy of life and the simple things within it.

This track further proves that if life had a soundtrack, David Lloyd would be the composer.

I've been a big fan of this site for a long time now, but this is my first time posting in the forums. I've never really seen the need to register to this site because I'm not a remixer(though I plan to be), so why waste my time, but after hearing DJ Pretzel's new song... I feel obligated to tell him just how amazing this recent remix is.

I will admit I'm not a very big fan of his works, but this recent mix is so incredible I have a completely newfound respect for his talent. All in all, thank you so much for this brilliant work of art. It will stay in my collection of the best remixes for a very long time if not until the end of time.

i'm like Sage of Creation, i've been a fan of this site for a long time and even have my own playlist on my ipod just with OC remixes. I never thought I'd sign up but this mix is probably my favorite, it's perfect I think. Earthbound is one of my favorite games so every time I see a remix of Earthbound go up my eye's light up widely, well it wasn't just my eye's that widened up when I heard this mix, my ears fell in love with it too.

We need a lot more remixes like this. I'm no remixer myself, I'd like to be and i've always wanted to be but i'm no good at music talent and don't have proper equipment. Anyways, back to topic, DJ Pretzel you are my favorite remixer of the site, I really hope to continue to see more of your work especially with remixes different from techno, and hopefully more Earthbound remixes.

Quoting djpretzel himself :

It's music for looking out of windows at moving landscapes for long periods of time, thinking about where you've been and where you're going.

Absolutely right, this is something that fits perfectly to just staring out of windows, time flying by you. Sometimes gives me the image of that generic family-trip where little Peter sits, gazing out the window at the landscape passing by, the family off to vacation .. or something around there anyway.

Great mix, easy to cling onto, listened to it repeatedly for two hours yesterday. Well done

Absolutely LOVE it, Pretzel. All the instruments work extremely well together. Especially the cello and piano, but that might be personal bias... >_> The light percussion, the acoustic in the background (and when it comes to the foreground), it really paints the picture of what you're trying to convey. *stares out window*

j00 rock my world, djp! ^_^

Wow. Hardly novel, but: wow, great work, thanks, etc.

You've really managed to bring a lot of us lurkers out of the woodwork.

I find myself nodding my head at so much of what has been said here in this thread.

I've been trying to find a new direction in my life recently and I've been finding myself running in to a lack of inspiration... (or rather a lack of faith)

- and well nevermind the details right now because you don't need to be dig through my ramblings, :) but -

Thanks! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Very relaxing remix. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, actually. After listening to this, for the first time in a while I actually want to take a long car ride. That's saying something for me; as I've recently taken a few long trips from Connecticut to Pennsylvania, and vice versa. Bravo, excellent, etc!

To me, folk music, or genres that are folk-infused, have always made the best traveling music. Not for a ride to the supermarket or into the city for a night on the town, but for a much longer trip, all the better if it's going to take multiple days to get there and there's no agenda or itinerary.

With that, I must concur completely. Although your interpretation of why hits spot on, musically, I feel there's much more to it than that. A good deal of it, for me, are the lyrics and "wordsmithing" involved in folk music. No other genre writes as much of the road, and the knowledge therein involved, as folk music. And there is a knowledge involved in traveling, one that most never see or could understand if I had laid it flat down in front of them. A deeper understanding of the world than any philosophy or science could help one form. Seeing (and not watching) the landscapes around you slowly change and form something new, passing through a dusty and crumblingly old town, a bumbling and scurrying city, then out into a beautiful nowhere is something that shapes a human being more than anything else can--it takes a raw form, a boy or a girl, an ignorant child, and is able to produce a man or a woman, a knowledgeable adult. It is the simple and simply complex act of experiencing things you could never have imagined.

Not many these days can appreciate this. They're too busy watching instead of seeing. And the road is not only beautiful fields and majestic mountains; the road is hard and harrowing, and through this more than anything else is it able to shape someone. And maybe this review is poorly written; I don't know. It was something I had to jot down quick, while there's time and while the feeling is there. Given time, I could have written it more eloquently, have many times in the past few months, but that wouldn't be very Kerouac-esque, now would it?

(Obviously, I enjoy the mix a great deal.)

djp again shows us why he is counted among the best of the best of remixers on OCR. The first half is beautiful, near-perfect use of the piano and excellent production. Then the mix kicks on at 1:53, gaining some energy as we hit the road.

The only pity is he's much less prolific these days... keep the good tracks coming, mate.

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01427 - EarthBound "Twoson Hits the Road"