Anybody here good at transcribing chords by ear?

SenPi

Yeah, an inverted 7th chord can be pretty confusing--you can even argue calling it something else.

F#min flat 6 or DMaj 7 first inversion, etc...

The inversion is what gives it that minor quality, creating a minor interval between the bass note and the next note up, the bass note to the 3rd note up is a perfect 5th, and a minor 6th between the bass note and the top note, which is technically the root note.

The BMaj 7 is in second inversion has a strong major feel to it. The bass note to the 2nd note up is a major 3rd, the bass note to the third note up is a perfect 4th, the bass note to the top note is a major 6th, and the interval from the 3rd note to the top note is a major 3rd.

Both chords are anchored by the F#, creating a context that makes them feel like they belong together, but they have a really nice juxtoposition in character.

The other descriptions don't sound right to me.

What i'm hearing is Bbm7 and then Abm7 (Although i think the extension is slightly different to just minor7th) in the very beginning. Then the verses are Ebm7 then Fm7 then back to the Bbm and Abm (although it keeps Bb in the bass with these tinny piano chords)

I think these are slightly off but more accurate in my ears than the others.

The other descriptions don't sound right to me.

What i'm hearing is Bbm7 and then Abm7 (Although i think the extension is slightly different to just minor7th) in the very beginning. Then the verses are Ebm7 then Fm7 then back to the Bbm and Abm (although it keeps Bb in the bass with these tinny piano chords)

I think these are slightly off but more accurate in my ears than the others.

I think what you're thinking, Calum, is a Bbmin7 to a BMaj7 3rd inversion. Which keeps the Bb in the bass.

I think what you're thinking, Calum, is a Bbmin7 to a BMaj7 3rd inversion. Which keeps the Bb in the bass.

ah yes! you're completely right. Bbm7 - Bb, Db, F, Ab to BMaj7(3rd inversion) - A#, B, D#, F# sounds exactly right for the beginning piano!

It's definitely not Dmaj7 though or any inversion of that... have I missed something previously in the conversation?

uh, the bullshit and butthole stuff was not merely being pedantic over terminology. It's important to say it's an inversion because if you played it straight it would not sound at all like the way it does in the track. Hearing the midi I now recognise that what i thought was Bbm7 was in fact C#maj7 (3rd inversion) - C, C#, F, G#.

It seems us getting hung up was of help to you because you initially wrote that it was Dmaj7 and Bmaj7 unless that was a typo?

(gets a sinking feeling that i'm about to start a big unnecessary conversation...)