Problem Solved

Hey guys,

I have a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 USB 2.0 audio interface.

It's been great with low latency and all that, but as of a couple weeks ago all of my music making applications have been loading SUPER SLOWLY.

As in, running Kontakt 5 standalone takes about 5 minutes to start up. Same for FL Studio.

When I get the chance to switch these applications to use Primary Sound Driver/WASAPI or whatever, they load LIGHTNING FAST, so I've concluded it's my interface's ASIO Driver.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver (3.0.0) for Audio Kontrol 1, but have had no luck. Not even gonna bother with NI tech support because it's absolutely terrible, especially with discontinued products like this.

Any soundcard geeks with some advice?

EDIT: So it turns out my internal SD Card reader was causing a motherboard USB conflict. After unplugging it, my audio interface works perfect.

I've never owned this soundcard, but I've had rather bad experiences with a different asio-compatible USB soundcard (behringer uca202, I know it's cheap.. what was I thinking).

So, error finding, isolating a cause

Do you have another computer/laptop to test whether or not the soundcard is not defective?

What about that USB B cable you're using, does it work with other gear? does the situation change if you switch it for an alternate cable?

If you load kontakt with the asio drivers, but without the soundcard connected, what does it do?

Besides the slow start, is it any different from usual operation? (e.g. does it respond at asio-like speeds?)

It still sounds a lot like a driver issue, though.. It'd be great if you're able to try it on a different computer, maybe with a less modern operating system. An OS update can break compatibility with software, and discontinued products won't really receive software support anymore (damn you casio for not providing recent keyboard drivers!)

Do you have another computer/laptop to test whether or not the soundcard is not defective?

I can try at my brother's house, maybe.

What about that USB B cable you're using, does it work with other gear? does the situation change if you switch it for an alternate cable?

I will give this a try sometime.

If you load kontakt with the asio drivers, but without the soundcard connected, what does it do?

Exact same behavior. :/

Besides the slow start, is it any different from usual operation? (e.g. does it respond at asio-like speeds?)

It freezes from time to time but normally it responds completely fine when it's done loading.

It still sounds a lot like a driver issue, though.. It'd be great if you're able to try it on a different computer, maybe with a less modern operating system. An OS update can break compatibility with software, and discontinued products won't really receive software support anymore (damn you casio for not providing recent keyboard drivers!)

The problem is the driver has been working for more than a year now, and I haven't really changed anything in the OS. I did install a USB Header Internal SD Card Reader (and I've had this problem since around then), but I don't think that's the issue.

• 2 months later...

Please, I really need help with this. I have seriously no where to go. Native Instruments support won't even look at me.

I did a clean install onto a new SSD, and still have the same problem.

When I run FL with ASIO4ALL, it snaps loaded right away. When I change it to AK1 ASIO driver, it crashes immediately. When I load Kontakt, it crashes immediately (same for all other NI products).

Reinstalled drivers several times, tried different USB cables and ports.

Is it really time for me to get a new audio interface?

I see no fault here for Asio4all | That's the way the Asio protocol is designed

"ASIO bypasses the normal audio path from a user application through layers of intermediary Windows operating system software so that an application connects directly to the sound card hardware.

and therefore those channels are locked exclusively to the application | so it's doing the job it was designed for perfectly.

I don't know if Fruity has that option but in Cubase you can tell the driver to release the lock in the background so Windows sounds do get through

So...why do you need anything other than the DAW to be using sound when you're making music?

Loads of reasons. You're making music and want to take a break, doing something that makes sound (playing a casual or browser-based game, maybe), or you're remixing a track for a game that you only can get on youtube (eg. you can't just import the MP3 into your DAW).

Loads of reasons. You're making music and want to take a break, doing something that makes sound (playing a casual or browser-based game, maybe), or you're remixing a track for a game that you only can get on youtube (eg. you can't just import the MP3 into your DAW).

1) Save your work & close the DAW

2) Save your work & close the DAW

3) Not a problem for anyone who plays an instrument. Just figure out the song by ear and then you're all set.

3) Not a problem for anyone who plays an instrument. Just figure out the song by ear and then you're all set.

For point 3, you have to listen to a song to figure it out by ear, and even if you're good enough to figure it out, you might not be good enough to (or might not want to put the time into) memorizing the source tune, especially if it's something complex or with multiple melodies.

Obviously, someone who uses asio4all will have to close their DAW in order to do any of those things, but just because it can be done, that doesn't mean it won't be annoying. Especially for the last example; seems counter-productive to close your DAW to listen to the thing you're trying to remix and hope you remember what you've listened to by the time all your samples load again.

You try saving and loading one of my projects that takes up over 20gb of ram like that. Not to mention re-linking with old legacy external modules and effects, and legacy plugin stability that's not dependable even when bridged and it may not want to release your driver instantly. That's why most daws have a "revert" function so you can reload your existing project without killing your DAWs connection to your externals or releasing the audio driver.

I'm not sure you understand what intuitive means, and how a lack thereof harms the creative process.

I paid ridiculous money for this gear in order to streamline the music making process. It better work; now it does.