OCR00551 - Final Fantasy VI "Mystic Forest (Back to the Roots Mix)"

orkybash

Final Fantasy VI 'Mystic Forest (Back to the Roots Mix)'

WTF is up with that intro? It starts to develop a very heavy sound, then... drops it, and doesn't develop it throughout the rest of the remix. Kinda odd, and the mix might be better without it, but I can live with it. The rest of the remix is a very nice version of the Phantom Forest theme from FF6, with just a distorted lead guitar and a clean (maybe even acoustic? I dunno, not very good at telling these things by ear) guitar doing the backups. Very simple, but that simplicity is what makes it so cool. Highly recommended, especially for FF fans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally think the intro is kinda freaky...I mean seriously...WTF? I didn't know it was playing the first time I heard it, and I was in the dark in my basement, and it just scared the crap outta me. But I think that just makes it all the better. The bass is a little weird throughout the piece though....that's my only beef. :?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OooOoOo, a very pretty song. Something to fall asleep to, but in a good way. I just love the clash between the acoustic and electric guitar. I can imagine them going at it with broadswords in slow motion. Bwarharharhahrahrharharhhrahrharhahrar. Very nice. 8.5 out of 10.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this gives out multiple feelings...

The intro makes you feel pretty desolate, scared, alone, and whatnot.

Then the soothing acoustic guitar line comes in. It brings you back up from the intro.

And then the electric guitar comes in-which just accentuates the acoustic like nothing else.

Like DJP said, this feels like it could be something taken from a Led Zeppelin song at times.

I love how it fits together, but I just wish it could be a tad bit longer.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent...now we have a guitarmix of PhantomForest. Excellent.

Pretty guitar, cool elctric guitar, or maybe there´s two? I´m agreeing with everyone else, that was one weird intro. It would be better if it just faded away, instead that it´s abruptly stops. Maybe not a big deal, the song was great anyway.

• 8 months later...
"Back to the roots" indeed...this mix was, I think, what the original composers had in mind for what the original track was to sound and feel like.

My thoughts exactly.

It never crossed my mind that "Phantom Forest" could be done with guitars. But now it's done and it sounds quite nice! I agree that the beginning kinda cuts too soon but that's only a minor mistake. The rest of the remix is very flowing.

By the way, this remix inspired me to write a poem! That has to be a good sign...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I like the combination of the acoustic and electric guitar here. The acoustic covers the back end quite nicely while the electric takes the forefront of the melodies. There isn't much change to the main melodic line, which I would have liked, though it would be contrary to the "(back to the roots mix)" title. What's up with the opening, though? Pretty odd, in my opinion. Other than that, a nice listen.

I don't see what the big deal with the opening is - it sounds spooky and haunted, which is what the source tune is all about. And anyway, what's wrong with being odd? :D

I've always liked this. It's a very simple arrangement, but very effective. The guitars are layered nicely. The slightly off-kilter sound works for making it feel like you're in some kind of forest at night and things are not quite right (hey that rhymes).

There's not much to it, but what's there is quite good.

• 8 months later...

Interesting intro. Very creepy and mood setting although it feels out of place with the type of remix this is. It disappears very abruptly, but that's not a deal breaker. The acoustic guitar sounded great when it came in. The electric guitar could definitely use more high end as it has very little headroom. Now, all of that said, this production quality is much better than most of the past mixes from Steve and I have to give mad props for that! The playing, while not perfect, is VERY solid. Intonation in the guitars is strong and the song flows really nicely. All in all, definitely one of the best mixes we've heard from Steve up to this point. Keep it up mate!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00551 - Final Fantasy VI "Mystic Forest (Back to the Roots Mix)"