Borderlands 2

zircon

Discuss this game here!

I've played for about 2 hours so far. Picked the Siren at random and got up to about level 7. It does very much feel like Borderlands 1; as far as I can tell, there haven't been any drastic changes to gameplay or presentation (though, the music is better IMO). If you didn't like the first game, you won't like this, and I suspect that if you really played the hell out of the original, you might not find enough new stuff in the sequel. However, I only played the original once on the normal difficulty (~50 hours of playtime) and so this feels fresh enough to me.

My one complaint so far is the inventory system. It just... sucks. I don't remember the first game being this bad. The fact that everything is at an angle is very annoying, and it seems very difficult to quickly compare and swap weapons. I should just be able to hover over an item to see stats, not have to click around several times to swap. I much prefer Diablo 2/3's inventory system.

You playing the PC or console version?

I ask because there were parts of the menu and inventory in Borderlands 1 that made me think they did a poor job of bringing it over to the PC, and your experience with the one in Borderlands 2 sounds familiar. I wonder if they didn't adjust it for PC controls.

I found Borderlands 1 (got this summer on the Steam Sale) to be a rather fun change up from the usual FPSs., I really didn't think I would enjoy it so much. I plowed through the main game and all four expansion packs within a month, so I definitely enjoyed the whole game.

But will I get Borderlands 2? Maybe, just not right away. I could just be burned out on Borderlands 1. But the pre-order stuff isn't terribly attractive to me. Also, from what I've seen, it really is more of the same, but polished and cranked up a bit more. That might not be enough to justify the current price, factoring in the price/game length/expectations equation.

It's been on my radar for a while now, so I am interested in it... just not enough to get it right now.

I don't have a huge mass of weapons yet, so n troubles with inventory yet. I like directly selecting the weapon slot instead of hunting own the weapon you want, then choosing the slot you want. I hated that it just unequipped it at least on the pc version if you selected the slot there. I got number two on the ps3 (friend was getting it).

Hey, split screen online play!

Just started as the chick... I miss Siren's phasewalk, this whole levitate-in-place business is weak, especially when you've got a gun w/ long reload and have to swap out. Any opinions on Zero?

PC here... BUT, tried playing w/ keyboard and mouse and it just wasn't happening for me. Switched to 360 gamepad, MUCH better. Sacrilege, perhaps, softcore, perhaps, but more fun. Also it auto-detected settings for my gtx680 as 1280x720 letterboxed, which I thought was... pessimistic.

Other than that, great so far - if it ain't broke, why fix it? Love the universe, love the voice acting.

Any opinions on Zero?

"And starring Zero as... a number." I was confused. :-P

Best. Class. Ever. I too used Siren for Borderlands and fell in love with Phasewalk. Zero's ult is a very similar style, you go into phasewalk and you drop a doppelganger that takes enemies focus off of you. Then you have about 5 seconds to make a brutal +650% stealth melee attack on an unsuspecting enemy.

You can still take damage while invisible so it isn't QUITE the same as phasewalk, and does lead to some sadness, but as a whole I have to say especially for these lower levels it is way overpowered. A lot more than I was expecting. If this was Diablo 3 they would be working on nerfing it by now. :tomatoface:

Yeah, I have been playing (PC) for a couple of hours now, and yeah, it's more of the same. However, I am strangely okay with that. I absolutely adored the first one.

I agree, it seems like Zero is pretty overpowered right now. I have been dealing a shit-ton of damage, and looking at some of his abilities later on, it doesn't seem like that will be changing anytime.... ever.

I'm going to have to agree that the inventory system is crap as well. It is really difficult to compare your weapons. I agree that it just needs to pop up the item you have equipped. Oh well. I'll be logging in 100+ hours in this game for sure.

Oh one other thing. Claptrap has stopped being a Gir (Invader Zim) ripoff, and is actually legitimately humorous. I like him now. Good job Borderlands.

played it for about 10-15 minutes and i wasnt really feelin it. too into guild wars 2 i guess. then i played some gw2 and wasnt really feelin it either. so i went back to b2 and AWWWWYEEEEEEEEAH back to BRODERLANDS MODE. REALLY liking zero. he's a badass, though i really miss mordecai's bloodwing. still, i can definitely get into the deception skill

I picked up the game as well and have been going through as Axton. He plays a lot like Roland did, except his turret is actually good at fighting and can actually be destroyed.

I agree with the sentiment that it's more of of the same, for the most part. However, the samey stuff that was in the first game is overall done just way better in this one. The environments are a *hell* of a lot prettier to look at, the guns are all very distinct and unique looking for the most part, and that there's a lot of weapons that do just plain wacky shit. Also, I came across this last night:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97592526

...And yup, that gun never runs out of bullets. Ever.

Played last night online witha friend. I'm playing as Zer0 and I'm loving it. I played as Roland in the first one, so almost every firefight, I was sitting in the back dropping turrets and unloading clip after clip into enemies. Now I do a little sniping and let my partner whittle them down, then Deception and BAM!, sword through the throat. Very satisfying and a very different experience from the previous game.

I went with gunzerker, because I loved bezerker from the last one, but it was a big enough change to the play style to keep it fresh. I've picked Revolvers as my main gun of choice and with the quick swap set up I feel it's gonna be exicting to keep switching guns on the fly, having my off hand guns reload when I make a kill and my first and last bullet swapping will deal high damage. Just one more level and I'll no longer require reload. The only problem is that I'm gonna need 4 great revolvers instead of just 1 main one. Also the bullet regeneration in gunzerker is absolutly amazing, removes a big headache of searching for bullets all the time. That and the class mod that gives the whole team ammo, pretty much everyone has ammo to spare.

Just started as the chick... I miss Siren's phasewalk, this whole levitate-in-place business is weak, especially when you've got a gun w/ long reload and have to swap out. Any opinions on Zero?

PC here... BUT, tried playing w/ keyboard and mouse and it just wasn't happening for me. Switched to 360 gamepad, MUCH better. Sacrilege, perhaps, softcore, perhaps, but more fun. Also it auto-detected settings for my gtx680 as 1280x720 letterboxed, which I thought was... pessimistic.

Sacrilege! Mouse & keyboard for life, sir.

Phasewalk seems at its best when your in a big group setting, so everyone can hammer away at your incapacitated target, but yea - for the most part I agree.

As for Zero, I found him to be stupid good for solo play. Find a high damage sniper rifle, poke from a distance until they get angry and come running, then switch to a shotgun and run and gun with melee attacks. Stay mobile and always be running towards a target. His special ability is basically a 'get out of jail free' card and has the side effect of letting him kill anyone he wants that is nearby, or really - far away if you want to use your sniper rifle.

Alright, so what's been driving me nuts is hip-shooting with revolvers. I really enjoy running around in FPS's with a pistol shooting everything in the head, I've got my gunzerker set up for quick swapping guns so I don't have to reload any of my weapons (the left tree) and the first and last shot deal extra damage, so I need high damage and low clip size. The big problem is that hip shooting with my revolvers, even with a 95 accuracy, I'm lucky if I hit them much less headshot them. Sure I can ironsight, but I absolutely hate that, it's extra time to line up my shot that just makes it dull for me. I'm thinking Hyperion pistols would work, but I don't think they make revolvers. The other option I'm considering is using nothing but no scope snipers, but I don't know how reliable that will be either. Any thoughts?

Wow, Gearbox is a bunch of a-holes.

I've got an aging PC that technically should be able to play the game, but I'm unsure how well. I'd like to try the game out before I buy it, yet there's no demo. So I made a thread on the official forums asking about my options. Is there gonna be a demo eventually? Would Gearbox care if I "pirated" the game just to try it out? Or am I basically just screwed, forced to either not get the game or take a gamble and maybe have it not work well at all? The response was essentially "go watch some youtube videos or play the game at a friends house" (which completely failed to address my post) followed by the thread being locked, then deleted.

I've been looking at the forums and it looks like several other people have asked about a demo only to be insulted, then have their threads locked.

Screw you, Gearbox.

Alright, so what's been driving me nuts is hip-shooting with revolvers. I really enjoy running around in FPS's with a pistol shooting everything in the head, I've got my gunzerker set up for quick swapping guns so I don't have to reload any of my weapons (the left tree) and the first and last shot deal extra damage, so I need high damage and low clip size. The big problem is that hip shooting with my revolvers, even with a 95 accuracy, I'm lucky if I hit them much less headshot them. Sure I can ironsight, but I absolutely hate that, it's extra time to line up my shot that just makes it dull for me. I'm thinking Hyperion pistols would work, but I don't think they make revolvers. The other option I'm considering is using nothing but no scope snipers, but I don't know how reliable that will be either. Any thoughts?

The problem is that the Accuracy score only applies to a shot that's not affected by recoil. Hip-firing a semi-automatic double action revolver is going to produce intense amounts of recoil. Iron-sighting lowers your recoil issues somewhat, but Borderlands 2 significantly increased the impact of Recoil in general.

The issue with Hyperion weaponry that I've encountered is that their first initial shot suffers from massive recoil, but every subsequent shot suffers from much less, so while your first and final shots may land well, the ones right after the first might not.

Another viable option for you would be to get in up close and personal with low magazine size shotguns and use your damage boost on those, which will probably shred your enemies into a fine red mist. Failing that, try to get the Steady as She Goes talent, or whatever it was to give you 80% Recoil Reduction while in Gunzerk.

I've got an aging PC that technically should be able to play the game, but I'm unsure how well. I'd like to try the game out before I buy it, yet there's no demo. So I made a thread on the official forums asking about my options. Is there gonna be a demo eventually? Would Gearbox care if I "pirated" the game just to try it out? Or am I basically just screwed, forced to either not get the game or take a gamble and maybe have it not work well at all? The response was essentially "go watch some youtube videos or play the game at a friends house" (which completely failed to address my post) followed by the thread being locked, then deleted.

I've been looking at the forums and it looks like several other people have asked about a demo only to be insulted, then have their threads locked.

Screw you, Gearbox.

Pretty sure it still just runs on Unreal Engine 3 (maybe with some more bells and whistles) so if you could run the original, you should be able to run this game too, albeit probably not maxed out. Also if you're literally asking a game dev if it's okay to pirate their game, it's not a surprise that your thread gets locked.

Screw you, Gearbox.

That seems like an over reaction. I mean, games do print the minimum and recommended specs. And the game will be dirt cheap on one of the Steam Sales by Xmas anyway if you're not able to justify the purchase now.

But as it's been said, it runs IMO pretty similar to how BL1 ran, so if you could run the first game even on minimal settings, that's probably how BL2 will play on your machine.