OCR02497 - Golden Sun "Rebirth of Venus"

djpretzel

I really enjoyed this track; it helps that Venus Lighthouse quickly became one of my favorite VG tracks ever, due in part to the sense of finality and urgency it gives. This song is really a great evolution of the source, much in the same way that Sixto's "The Skull Fortress" evolves Flash in the Dark. I really love this; all parts in it work cohesively with each other to make it a rather excellent song. :3

@Nonamer: Your avatar also falls off the lighthouse the source plays in. ;P

Edited by Mirby

Wow, I cried. I have been wishing for a Golden Sun remix for a such a long time. I just non-chalantly played the song and all the nostalgia rushed back to my body with shivers, tears and all. Thank you.

I can't give you constructive criticism right now, but I really enjoy this song. Good production values and it stays true to the original song!

EDIT: Someone help me. I cried again for several minutes, what is happening to me? I'm serious, this song is too beautiful.

Edited by Namorbia

The only issues I had were some transitions, the weak snare, excessive low-end boosts in the rhythm guitars and the lack of expressiveness in the synth leads (simple sustains without vibrato or filters linked to an envelope). i.e. the "transition" at 2:47 from the acoustic breakdown back to the hard rock feel was very sudden IMO.

Let me break it down:

The snare was too soft. The tone is fine, but I didn't really hear as loud as a snare as I would expect from a song with hard rock sections.

Immediately when the rhythm guitars came in, I heard a lot of low end muddiness. I still heard the kick, which is unusual when in the presence of that guitar muddiness, but I suppose that helps things.

I was also somewhat disappointed when I heard the synth lead, because it could be so much better played in live, linking the modwheel to vibrato and recording the modwheel events to a MIDI so that the synth lead sections could be way more expressive. It was only sustains, and it felt like retrigger sustains, too. The 1:57 section with the synth lead was the most jarring. It felt like each note had pitchwheel edits up a half or whole step each time, which gets to be too much on each note for 6 seconds. It's not terrible, but the synth lead could really have been improved.

Aside from that, this was a great remix. The piano itself sounds fantastic, and so do the acoustic guitars. Great electric lead guitar tone too. I'd say that overrides most of the issues mentioned above. Great debut, guys.

Thanks everyone for the heart-warming comments :) We have been working on arrangements of other Golden Sun themes as well and I will of course submit them when we get around to finish them!

The only issues I had were some transitions, the weak snare, excessive low-end boosts in the rhythm guitars and the lack of expressiveness in the synth leads (simple sustains without vibrato or filters linked to an envelope). i.e. the "transition" at 2:47 from the acoustic breakdown back to the hard rock feel was very sudden IMO.

Let me break it down:

The snare was too soft. The tone is fine, but I didn't really hear as loud as a snare as I would expect from a song with hard rock sections.

Immediately when the rhythm guitars came in, I heard a lot of low end muddiness. I still heard the kick, which is unusual when in the presence of that guitar muddiness, but I suppose that helps things.

I was also somewhat disappointed when I heard the synth lead, because it could be so much better played in live, linking the modwheel to vibrato and recording the modwheel events to a MIDI so that the synth lead sections could be way more expressive. It was only sustains, and it felt like retrigger sustains, too. The 1:57 section with the synth lead was the most jarring. It felt like each note had pitchwheel edits up a half or whole step each time, which gets to be too much on each note for 6 seconds. It's not terrible, but the synth lead could really have been improved.

Aside from that, this was a great remix. The piano itself sounds fantastic, and so do the acoustic guitars. Great electric lead guitar tone too. I'd say that overrides most of the issues mentioned above. Great debut, guys.

I pretty much agree with everything you said! The mix is not very stellar, but at the time (wow, has it really been almost 1½ year!?) it was the very best I could muster :)

So I'm totally digging this mix, and on a whim went to youtube to find more of the same theme. Imagine my surprise when I see the same mix with no mention of it being at OCRemix. The mix in question can be found here.

Is this an issue or am I just nuts?

(wow, has it really been almost 1½ year!?) it was the very best I could muster :)

Jan 7, 2012

[...]

Arranged and recorded by S. Battle and Matt R

No, you're fine. The mix has been in the queue for some time, and as Matt R stated, the song is old. Plus, someone found the Soundcloud link to it and posted the song on YouTube at the beginning of the year, obviously without knowledge it was submitted here.

Wow, this mix has an excellent arrangement! I love how you guys kept the urgency of the original and kept the overall feel with the use of the choirs, but created a rocking version and original material that never feels out of place. And that you created a long mix that never feels repetitive, even though the original is relatively short and constant in chords.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Pretty tight adventure piece here. While I do agree with some others that some areas could have been bit stronger, it's kinda like saying the Grand Canyon could be bigger on the whole. I personally liked the section between 2:38 and 2:50 where it breaks down for a moment. Not bad at all, I certainly liked it.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02497 - Golden Sun "Rebirth of Venus"