OCR01428 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Golden Sun "A Rose for Zelda"

djpretzel

First review from a long-time lurker. Three years or so long, heh.

This has always been one of my favorites. One of the few five-starred mixes on my playlist. It has that dreamy and relaxing feel to it. Like other posters have mentioned, I envision someone sitting on a beach, with miles of sand and ocean as far as the eye can see. I get the feeling that something isn't quite right, but whatever it is, life will go on.

Great piece, heh.

• 4 months later...

The arranger is very adventurous in his usage of new chords, but he does this very well. Love the usage of accoustic guitar.

At times in the music, there seems potential for a celtic arrangement. I could almost hear a celtic flute like in Lord of the Rings or something. Maybe even a lone bagpipe... :-P

Great work!

• 3 months later...

This is an awesome and gorgeous piece of music. It giives me a moving yet mildly depressing feel, as though a great adventure had come to an end and yet nothing really changed to make the world better. A solitary emptiness.

Nonetheless, despite how much I love this piece, the quality seems mildly lacking in a couple parts. No big deal to me, but it is there.

• 1 year later...

This has to be my favorite mix on the site. I love this song so damn much. Everything is just so relaxing and emotional all at the same time. Guitar effects were AMAZING. I especially love the big buildup starting around 3:00, and then at 3:28..................it's one of my favorite musical moments of all time. The reversed guitar and piano intertwine in a tragically beautiful way to create this feeling that you were just about to grasp someone's hand, and then you're falling into nothing. Incredible. Leaves me with chills every time. Outstanding work Tepid.

Edited by XiaoXiaoNeo

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It definately thrusts Zelda's Lullaby into a Wind Waker style, even though Zelda's Lullaby already had a great Wind Waker treatment in the Wind Waker. But thankfully, it comes in much more focused here, great guitar work.

The melody shines brighter than ever in the initial portion of the mix. When the sound gets bigger and the electric elements come into it, I was a little thrown. The transition isn't 100%, although I didn't really notice it at all on my second listen. And I felt the narrative of the piece was a little disjointed. Zelda's Lullaby is a peaceful, reflective song after all, and I didn't really get the full connection between the acoustic and electric sections. With big sounds come a lot of different emotions: sadness, elation, love, hope, defeat. I can extract all of those from the music, but I'm confused as to which, if any, fit with the song. A stronger establishment of concept may have helped here.

That's a minor gripe though. The samples were irrelevant but I liked that they were there anyway. Overall, strong work on a track that deserves a lot of love.

:shock:

This is amazing; I can't believe I haven't heard this yet.

Hearing Zelda's theme on guitar is astoundingly beautiful.

If you haven't heard this yet, shame on you. Go download it now.

Mournful, longing, love-filled, saddening, remembering the happy times.

This is the kind of mix that can soften anyone up inside.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I'd already commented on this before... strange.

One of the most poignant, thoughtful, and meaningful remixes on the site. From the moment the song starts, you feel swept away into a journey of emotions and contemplation. It's rare that a song has the power to completely capture my attention and actually allow me to get lost in the music. I don't have the eloquence of some of the other posters in here, but some of the assessments have been spot-on about how emotional this track is.

Personally, I like the SFX at the end - it feels fitting, since the entire track is so engrossing and captivating, that there be some sort of release at the end of the song that sends you back to the real world again. It may not have been executed in the right key, but it still feels like a satisfying conclusion that brings you back down to Earth after the song had done such an amazing job of taking you away to someplace else.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is really peaceful and beautiful, with a great middle section. The ending drags a little, but I was really feeling this one overall.

This mix is a great lesson to me specifically that less can definitely be more when it comes to arrangements. Oftentimes I get so caught up in creating my own musical filigree that I forget that you can create something amazing with just some basics.

Great stuff.

• 1 month later...

This is easily my favorite remix on ocremix.org. I've listened to it for ages, but after having recently re-downloaded it, I too was driven to register just to chime in with others on how great this remix is. I can't use words to describe how much I enjoy this song, but if ever there was a song that could convey feelings that I could not express with words, this is it.

• 1 year later...

This is the one that started it for me. Almost four years ago, browsing the highly rated tracks on VGMix, and being unimpressed by most, I eventually stumbled onto this. By the time the section at 2:00 came around, I was frozen in my seat, ears glued to my speakers; and by the end I knew that there was magic to be found in vg arrangements and that I wanted to find more. A few thousand tracks later, this remains a favorite.

The backmasking around 3:30 was a brilliant touch. It still sends chills down my spine.

I feel like I should say more, but I whatever I type seems to just bog this down with flowery nonsense. So, put concisely: this is one of the most beautiful and moving arrangements I have ever heard.

Thank you, Mr Schwan.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01428 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Golden Sun "A Rose for Zelda"
  • 5 years later...

The electric guitar coming in midway after the opening was cool, because even though it was more powerful, it still felt peaceful somehow, which is crazy to me. A good relaxing take on two beautiful tunes ending on some nice sfx, both soothing and nostalgic.