OCR01428 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Golden Sun "A Rose for Zelda"

djpretzel

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a great welcome to the site. You'll be glad to hear this is my last mix before I upgrade Home Studio 2002 to la Cubase SX 3 for xmas with a Roland VG-88 (and possibly Reason 3) :D

The song was great to make. Since I don't have a decent sequencer, I made most of the electronic bits with my guitar effects pedal. For example, the screaming synth like things were done with a distorted wah patch and an e-bow, heh..

Anyways, thanks again for the warm reception, it's good to be here :)

Hey Tepid? Was this the EXACT same one you had posted on VG Mix? Or did you tweak this since you first posted it there?

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a great welcome to the site. You'll be glad to hear this is my last mix before I upgrade Home Studio 2002 to la Cubase SX 3 for xmas with a Roland VG-88 (and possibly Reason 3) :D

The song was great to make. Since I don't have a decent sequencer, I made most of the electronic bits with my guitar effects pedal. For example, the screaming synth like things were done with a distorted wah patch and an e-bow, heh..

Hey Tepid? Was this the EXACT same one you had posted on VG Mix? Or did you tweak this since you first posted it there?

It's updated.

It's updated.

Super, I get to Download it again! Oh well better music for Joey. XD

Hehe, I had this song back when it was still a WIP, and back then I was impressed. I've only noticed two modifications since then; the two SFX at the beginning and end. The first effect caught my ear in a good way. That little giggle made the piece even better. The whole piece feels light-hearted and dreamy, yet nostalgic and sad at the same time, and that little giggle fit perfectly with that theme.

The whole song is really nice. A lot of the awkwardness, - i.e. the off-beat strumming, muted notes, etc. - seemed to be done intentionally, or at least they weren't removed intentionally because they were wanted there. I think you said it best yourself when you said, it's "human variety rather than human mistakes." The mistakes add to the very natural, human feel the whole piece flows in. I really love how deliberate and intentional everything is. Makes this mix simple, yet stunningly complex. Very nice electric guitar in the "interlude" of the song.

The only gripe I had was with the last SFX. I know it was intentional, and it did make me smile, but only after I flinched because it was in the wrong key. You could have transposed it and played it on guitar yourself, and THAT would have been freaking awesome. But hey, that gripe is only two seconds long, which is a minor complaint considering how great everything else is.

Overall, I was very impressed with the WIP, and still remain to be impressed. I'm really glad this mix got to see the light of day. Great work Tepid. 8/10, only because of the dumb, out-of-key jingle at the end. Otherwise you'd get a 9. Great work, and I hope I get to hear more from you soon.

Aah. Beautiful. Kire kire. This has to be the best remix of "Zelda's Lullaby" on the site. Such a soothing tranquility and a certain romantic grace. I closed my eyes and listened to this. I saw Zelda dancing by the sea shore. Then night fell (the 2 minute mark) and her dance escaladed as the stars illuminated her dress and her eyes. *sigh* But that's just me. Great stuff kid! A rose for Zelda, and one for you too.

I love this remix it is so Beautiful:) the opening with the sea sounds was a nice touch:) again this is a very beautiful remix and thats a sweet and very kind name for it as well,a rose for zelda gets a 10 out of 10 from me keep up the good work:)this is a very sweet remix of zeldas Lullaby i love the guitar playing thats a very nice tone again great work 10 out of 10 from me:)

Yours truly,

-linkwolf-

:)

A Hero will rise when light fades to dark that hero is link the hero of time and twlight.

When I listened to the song for the first time, I immediately liked the beginning. But when the electric part at 2:00 started, it really freaked me out; I was very disappointed. But after I listened to the ReMix a few more times, I actually found the electric part to be the best one! It's so passionate, so sad, and so touching, it's simply great.

And although the sample at the end doesn't fit into the ReMix very well, I think that it is a nice way to pay tribute to the game.

Great work, definitely one of the best songs on OCR.

(And Kudos to LAOS, I didn't hear the laughter until I read about it in his post)

When I was judging the piece, the sound effect hit me as a bit odd, but in the end it felt like it was a poetic gesture to the song. Since if the sound effect is played when you save zelda at the end of a dungeon, then in this case the effect at the end of the song would symbolise that "a rose for zelda" won her heart too.

Even if that wasn't intentional, it adds something deep to the mix for me.

When I was judging the piece, the sound effect hit me as a bit odd, but in the end it felt like it was a poetic gesture to the song. Since if the sound effect is played when you save zelda at the end of a dungeon, then in this case the effect at the end of the song would symbolise that "a rose for zelda" won her heart too.

Even if that wasn't intentional, it adds something deep to the mix for me.

Ditto (except for the judging the piece part). It only could have been better if it were in the same key as the song. That would have been awesome.

Verse:

-0-----0-------0----0--------0----0---

-0-----0-------0----0--------0----0---

-9-----8-------9----8--------9----8---

-9-----9-------9----9--------9----9---

-x-----x-------x----x--------0----0---

-9-----9-------0----0--------x----x---

Chorus:

-0-----0-----0-----0

-0-----0-----0-----0

-2-----4-----6-----8

-2-----4-----7-----9

-x-----x-----7-----9

-2-----4-----5-----7

-0-----0-----0

-0-----0-----0

-2-----4-----8

-2-----4-----9

-x-----x-----x

-2-----4-----9

Electric Verse:

-0-----0-

-0-----0-

-9-----8-

-9-----9-

-x-----x-

-x-----x-

With the bass (and power chords) playing:

-11---4----7--9-

-11---4----7--9-

-9----2----5--7-

Electric Chorus:

Same as normal chorus.

Chrono Cross bit (1:33):

(Capo 2nd, tabbed like fret 2 is 0)

-0---0---0---0---

-3---3---3---3---

-2---2---2---2---

-0---x---x---x--- (picked not strummed)

-x---x---x---0---

-x---3---0---x---

There you go, and now no one should have to ask me :)

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

This rendition receives a 10 out of 10 for me - I agree with some of the other comments that the giggle at the beginning is awesome in this song! The sea sounds, the mellow alternative tone...

Truly an intoxicating song that had me closing my eyes and getting all romantic. *chuckle* Great job!

I would've never imagined Zelda's Lullaby to be remixed into a song of this style. It's very calming and nice, and the ocean sound effects add to it's peacefulness. The guitar really, really does this song justice, I can't describe it, it just fits so well.

The giggle in the beginning just sold me. Haha I don't know why, I just loved it when I heard it.

The part at 2:01 with the electronic elements, it turned the song from a "thinking on the beach while watching the stars" kind of tone to a "why am i alive, what must i do?" kind of tone. I loved it, it added a sort of melancholy feel to the song.

Every bit of this song I loved. Bravo man.

You know what this song reminds me of? Rather, the picture it gives me? I can just kind of see a newlywed couple just dancing on a beach patio. Just kind of enjoying a quiet dance together, albeit clusmily, but still it doesn't matter to them. The giggle kind of really helps set that mood for me, of them just being in love with each other. Then as it goes on, they just kind of float into their own world, into that place where they are all that's in it. The offset non-perfection of the guitar patterns help to set it, too.

Nevertheless, how in the world could I not have seen this when it was first debuted, I'll never know. What a great picture it gives me. Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. 10/10.

P.S. sound effect lol.

• 1 month later...

The minute I turn this song on, I am immediately swept into it by the waves. It starts out relaxing and low-key and then the mood changes. It's multi-dimentional in terms of emotion, and that only allows the listener to connect even more to it. Ya, I second what the last three posters have said. Well done. It's beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

This song is so melancholic and sweet. Just bursting at the seams with a feeling of, "Everything changes. Even you. And there's nothing you can do about it." The way it breaks off into a swell in the middle just accentuates the mood, branching off in new directions as the future possibilities lay themselves out before you. Things change, but maybe change is for the best? Maybe loss contributes to wholeness.

Maybe... The potential is sweet, and so are the memories, but things have changed, and maybe that won't happen. Is the dream of the future as important as the future itself? Is it more important if you'll hope for something wonderful when the future looks so dim? To motivate you, keep you pushing forward when you really want to sleep.

A sigh and a dream at the edge of the sea. A prayer and a hope while cutting the rope. Dangling, dangling, then falling from me; and into a newness still yet undreamed.

Everything changes. And nothing will ever be the same.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01428 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Golden Sun "A Rose for Zelda"