OCR02659 - *YES* Super Mario World 'Forrest of Illusion'

DragonAvenger

Forrest Fire

Forrest Shamlian

http://soundcloud.com/fofire

User ID - 49563

Submission Information

Super Mario World for SNES

My submission: Forrest of Illusion (with 2 "R"s like my name)

Remixed from song: Forest of illusion (with 1 "R".. like the place with the trees)

Original Music:

Original music by Koji Kondo

Forrest of Illusion was a track I made for J1 Studios' Mario Dubstep album, "Green Mushrooms and Super Stars". As I youngster, my family would spend a week in the summer at my uncles beach house in NJ. aside from playing on the beach and getting ice cream, the activity I would look forward to most was spending the week trying to beat every single level in SMW (including special world ;] ) on their super nintendo set up in the corner of the dark little basement on a tiny Zenith TV. It felt so awesome and retro. I remember being up late and particularly creeped out when I got mario to the Forest of Illusion.

Note to Judges: If this track is not in the 16bit 192kbps format, please let me know and ill try to find a method to convert it. I use all to Mp3 on my Mac but it doesn't provide those tweaking options.

• 3 weeks later...

ooh, trippy. really liking the percussion in the intro, some really nice rhythms. some aspects of the production as well as some of those raunchy bass synths could have been a little cleaner, but I can't overstate how awesome this song is at times. those drops that implement the sfx as part of the dubstep groove are so creative and awesome. great mileage out of a limited source.*

nice stuff here, looking forward to more. :)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Great use of variation on display here. The whole thing is basically nothing but the source tune, but its so widely variated upon it never gets boring, and never loses its connections to the source. Folks, this is how you do an arrangement!

The production is slightly less impressive when compared to the arrangement, but its nice. I feel like this is lacking in alot of bass content however. It really lacks some punch, and the track is slightly over-saturated with too much reverb at times. The arrangement throws this over the bar however, and i'm cool with this as it is! Keep it up bro!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta agree with halc & will: tons of creative part writing here. Lots of synth variety and changeups to keep things interesting.

There was quite a bit of in-game sfx here, but again, it was used in a very creative way that fit into the flow the track, so I have no problems with it.

I think Will gives some reasonable production crits that would be worth taking into consideration in the future, but no major problems in this regard.

Good stuff. I hope we hear more from you soon.

Yes