FF6 Balance & Ruin Kickstarter RELAUNCHED (and FUNDED)!

zircon

• 3 weeks later...

Very appreciative of the Project update today; just to clarify if people didn't get it already - if you have an address change, PM OCRemix via kickstarter and they'll sort it out.

I'm one of the ones who clamored for an address change (Funny moving halfway across country and getting married will do for you).

Cheers again to Zircon, DJP & the crew for keeping things smooth. Just like a nice, aged shot of Oban scotch.

So, I've read the last few pages of this thread and I feel like no one really knows what the status of this project is.

The irony, of course, would be if this was taking longer than non-funded albums because of difficulties people are having managing the finance-related aspects.

But seriously though... Does anyone actually know what's going on with this project? And if I get a "be patient" response, I'm going to revert to my teenage years so I can appropriately counter respond.

For the record, the only people who can give you accurate information are the project directors and site staff - so me, Larry, djpretzel, etc. Anything else is going to be speculation from people that don't have all the information, so please keep that in mind! :<

The status is that we are 99% done with the music, just waiting for some recordings and tweaks to come in. We are clocking in at just about 6 hours total across 5 discs. We have a tremendous amount of bonus content for the DVD, and the art / website assets are basically wrapped up barring some director commentary.

The delay of the project from our initial estimated due date has nothing to do with money, or rather ironically, the fact that we're all volunteers means that many busy professionals have had to work on it only in their free time. For example Jake Kaufman (virt) did an absolutely amazing take on the opera that he just sent about a week ago, and it took him over 4 months. We were able to get him the studio time he needed with our KS funds, but he still had to work on it only in what little spare time he has.

It isn't my place to give a 100% specific due date yet, since a lot of the heavy lifting after this point will fall on Dave in terms of getting writeups created, setting up the torrent, etc., but I do think we are looking good for May.

but I do think we are looking good for May.

That makes me very, very, very, very happy if it turns out to be true.

And (although I'm sure I'll say it again when the album releases) major kudos to ALL the staff and Remixers who got this together. Can't have been an easy undertaking.

The irony, of course, would be if this was taking longer than non-funded albums because of difficulties people are having managing the finance-related aspects.

Have you been around here for other album launches? This is totally par for the course. Granted, they set an estimated completion date a lot earlier than is normally done, but it's completely typical to get a loose release window out there, then take months until it actually releases. If I recall correctly, Serious Monkey Business was kicking around a 2009 release date at one point (albeit well before final WAVs were in). That album didn't release until March of 2010.

Like zircon said, there's a lot of work going into this project by people who have day jobs and families, so delays are to be expected. I'd rather everyone takes their time and puts out a quality product, rather than rush to meet deadlines. Especially having donated money to the project. I've been waiting 8 years for an FFVI OCR album, what's a few weeks or months more?

Not going to lie, I am extremely excited now, especially with the thought of an amazing remix of the opera to look forward to. That honestly has to be one of my favorite pieces and it's certainly one of the ones I'm looking forward to most.

As I recall, the hook for Virt's opera piece was something to the effect of "rock opera inspired by Queen". I hadn't thought it was possible for me to be more excited for this album before the Kickstarter went up, but that did it.

I think my heart just exploded from joy. This is going to be fantastic.

Yes, Jake's opera is truly mindblowing. In my opinion it is one of the very best remixes ever created, by anyone, of anything, and I don't say that lightly. That being said, there are other remixes of pieces from the opera sequence as well that are fantastic, and they all fit in sequence.

* OA featuring Moonlapse and Bardic Knowledge will kick off the Overture with a very Nightwish-style piece with metal & orchestral stylings and tons of driving, aggressive rhythm.

* Jake's piece will likely come right after that, covering a variety of themes seamlessly, including the intermediate stuff like the waltz and duel.

* The energy and drama built from the previous two pieces (which feature all male vocalists) will dissolve into a sea of atmospheric beauty with the pure Aria theme arranged in a softer, emotional style featuring Jill as Celes, AeroZ playing a gorgeous cello counterpoint line, and my own dreamy electronic production with synthetic and acoustic elements.

Basically.. lots of synergy and vocal power!