Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Sky Chase Zone (Piano Cover)

Pumpkin King

Hey guys. This one is a piano cover for Sky Chase Zone from Sonic 2. I'm not sure if it would be considered a remix or not. Most of my stuff usually doesn't fit the criteria. But this one I tried to keep true to the original, but slow it down and keep it clean. So if anyone could give me their thoughts and tell me if it could be considered a remix for OCRemix, that'd be cool. :)

Source:

My piano version:

Good use of space, and a very precise and clean arrangement that lets the melody breathe. I like the movement and mood of this piece (especially 1:00 to 1:20, great interplay with the hands), and I think it has a good chance of getting posted. It may not change up the original enough though - it needs some harmonic experimentation in there as well to really grab the listener (and the judges). It's a pretty malleable melody with lots of opportunities for reharm . Good luck!

I think the arrangement is probably too short and simple to pass the panel...the B section starting at 0:59 is probably more of the type of arrangement they would look for, but it lasts less than 30 seconds. The rest is mostly the right hand playing the single-note melody or the left hand playing single-note arpeggios. In fact, very rarely are the left and right hand actually playing together...except for the short B section, someone could theoretically play this arrangement literally with one hand tied behind their back.

Not to say it isn't a pleasant arrangement, because it is! But in my opinion it needs more substance to get on OCR.

Thanks for the comments, Dhsu. Yeah, I made it to be super simplistic. With the reverb that I applied, I didn't want to go too crazy with arpeggios like I sometimes do. It would have been too much. I easily could have made the left hand do a bit more, and possibly played octaves with the right hand near the end... but I didn't. Or I could have come up with another original section like I played at 0:59, but I probably would have taken it too far for anyone to recognize the tune.

I still sent it in as a submission because I think it's one of those pieces that's better strictly listening to rather than watching. We shall see... but I'm not too worried. I think I may have a piano piece that's what OCR is looking for. I'm working on the arrangement now.