Ex-Rare Banjo Team Members Interested in Making a 'Banjo' Spiritual Successor

ocre

Okay, so, recent Twitter activity by a mysterious 'MingyJongo' account(actually an ex-Rare staffer) indicate that he and a group of his old Banjo team members are hoping to come together and create a 'spiritual successor' to the beloved Banjo-Kazooie series - a 3D platformer with 'the same humour, silly characters(copious googly eyes), fun game play, great tunes and all that stuff that we enjoy making.' As the Banjo Kazooie characters are owned by Microsoft, and this project doesn't include MS's involvement, this would be an original game with the same flavor and not a direct sequel.

They are currently gauging interest in the project and have hinted that the project will be supplemented by Kickstarter in the future. No platforms have been indicated yet. As some members of the group are currently employed by various companies, they are still trying to figure out if they'd be able to come together to make this happen.

The @MingyJongo twitter account has seen growth by about 12k followers in the past couple of days and they have expresses surprise at the outpouring of interest. Grant Kirkhope is on board to provide the music and the lead Banjo series artist is also going to be involved, along with an unspecified number of ex-Rare(possibly still current Rare) staff.

I bring this to OCR's attention because I know many many people in the community hold the Banjo games and other Rare games in high esteem. You can show your support at this early stage by following @MingyJongo, @GrantKirkhope and spreading the word that this project is being considered. Thanks for reading.

Plus, they are thinking about using Unity, meaning it'd be the closest we get to seeing a Rare game on a Nintendo console in the future.

Or on every (current) gaming device on the planet, for that matter.

Still kinda skeptical that its just one guy on Twitter going "hai guys i made the banjos, want me to make a game likes it? lol"

A second guy going "Hey me too" doesn't 100% convince me

Or on every (current) gaming device on the planet, for that matter.

Still kinda skeptical that its just one guy on Twitter going "hai guys i made the banjos, want me to make a game likes it? lol"

A second guy going "Hey me too" doesn't 100% convince me

We've been using "they" for a reason. It started with one, but others are on board. A team is ready and are wondering if it would be truly worth it.