FTL: Faster Than Light. An awesome space sim/roguelike for $10!

zircon

Just beat the game (on Easy, I admit) for the first time, using the Nesasio. Max cloak, 3 shields, and 6 engines made for great defense, while I had the mini laser (which is super good for 1 power), Hull Laser II (the 3 shot one), and a Pike Beam in addition to both Anti-Ship beam and laser drones. A lucky run for sure!

Gah! I've been working on getting the Crystal Ship the last six hours I've played, and it is so frustrating, because it's so hard to get the perfect storm of events in the right order. It's the last ship though, and once I have it I'll just need to beat the endgame with it and two other ships to have done them all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Doing some necro bumpage here, because this game has been a real surprise for me. it's the opposite of games that I was excited to play but disappointed me. I wasn't sure what to make of this game, but it turned out to be really addictive. the weirdest thing is, I don't get pissed off when I die repeatedly. its like, oh, I'll get a completely new random experience next time... cool.

Doing some necro bumpage here, because this game has been a real surprise for me. it's the opposite of games that I was excited to play but disappointed me. I wasn't sure what to make of this game, but it turned out to be really addictive. the weirdest thing is, I don't get pissed off when I die repeatedly. its like, oh, I'll get a completely new random experience next time... cool.

I kind of feel that way, too. About the only time I get upset over dying is if I'm playing a ship that heavily relies on starports for survival/success and I can't find any for several sectors, and that's why I die. And that's more frustration than anything.

Probably helps that ~75% of the time I'm not even playing to win, anymore - I'm just playing to see if I can accomplish some ridiculous feat I've set for myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I jumped on late for this one, got it through the Humble Bundle. (It seems like every game I find interesting ends up in a Humble Bundle, so I've learned to just wait...).

Got my first Easy victory on my 15th playthrough, using the Type B Zoltan ship. Had a number of almost-victories before that, until I figured out certain tricks for making the boss fight much, much easier... (CLOAK, CLOAK, CLOAK)

After a few attempts which made me say "Wow, this is tough," my first Normal victory followed surprisingly quickly on playthrough 19 last night with the Type A Engi ship. By the end, every battle was a massacre:

1) Fire paired Ion Blast II at shield and weapon systems.

2) Deploy Anti-Ship II drone and (if enemy has missiles) Defense I drone.

3) Once shield and weapon systems are thoroughly ionized, switch out one of the Ion Blast II for Pike Beam.

4) Manually alternate shots from remaining Ion Blast II between shield and weapon systems while Pike Beam and Anti-Ship II drone take the enemy apart.

Would love to see a sequel/expansion to this. Meanwhile, still got more ships to unlock and individual ship achievements to... achieve.

• 5 months later...

Love the new Advanced Edition enhancements! Not only can you send all crew back to their stations with a single button press, but those crewmembers are also colored differently so you can tell them apart just by looking.

Oh, and you start out with the new race's ship by default! :D

And I haven't even begun to mess around with the new weapons & systems yet.

I just ran the Crystal Ship "B" to victory. It was the luckiest run I've ever had, I think, including all the times I played it before the upgrade.

You start with two Crystal guns, and that's nice and all, but then I stumbled upon a Flak 1 cannon.

Then I found another one.

Then a third one.

I ended up selling the two crystal guns because fuck them, I got three flak cannons.

Then I was given a Zoltan shield by a Rebel ship I talked out of fighting.

I ended up facing the boss with maxed out shields, engines and guns (but sadly, never found a fourth weapon to use, but the three flak guns... holy shit, so powerful), and easily won.

I've also gotten really good at unlocking the other ships by concentrating on getting to the last sector. I still die most of the time, but I got all the A and B ships, with three of the C ships unlocked just in the last day or so.

Ooh, looks like the new version is a free upgrade for me on GOG. Also, I finally beat the game, although I played it on easy. Now I'm trying to win with that cock and balls ship, don't remember the name. :lol:

LOL. I'll never think of the Federation Cruiser the same way. Thanks!

Just beat Normal mode for the first time, using the Fed Cruiser. I think it's one of the better ships, especially with a maxed artillery beam. Guaranteed hull dicing is always a plus, no matter what other weapons you lucked upon.

Been trying to master the Rock Cruiser, but I keep running out of missiles. Or just never running across any substantial missile-less weapons. Or accidentally beaming over the Engi who just fixed the damn teleporter, instead of evacing my eviscerated Mantis warriors. Ooops.