Pokémon Black 2 and White 2: OCR's Finest Trainers, Version 14.3.5.1(b)

The Damned

In-game, anything works. It's simply a matter of leveling up enough. There are lots of people who have done Magikarp or Caterpie-only runs, where they don't use any other pokémon (except for HMS, but they aren't used for battle) and still beat the Elite Four.

Competitive battling... nope, not happening. There's a reason why tiers exist, and why most pokémon aren't in the higher ones.

Indeed, but they also use many an X-Attack and such. (I got about halfway through a Wurmple-only run in Emerald before restarting the file, hah.)

So I've been pretty addicted to Black 2 as of late. Bought it on a whim last month and didn't really put much into it 'til the other day. Despite some of the linearities (which I noticed more in this game than the others) I found there's a ton to appreciate.

Right now, at 21 hours in, I'm Audino farming in Giant Chasm... I'm technically at that blonde dude in Plasma's ship thingy but I backtraced to get my team to level 70 beforehand.

My team is as stands:

Weed (Serpentime) - lv67

Mary (Ampharos) - lv67

Intoxica (Weezing) - lv61

Serena (Swanna) - lv51

Now what's interesting is that in Pokémon games, until I beat the Elite Four, I *only* catch what I'm going to use on my team. This unanimously includes starters and Pokémon that are given to you (lone exception is Castform in R/S/E, which I quite frankly couldn't care less about -- I always store it in the PC).

My current team pretty much does the job I've found. Ampharos' Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Rock Gem and Strength (formerly Return which I miss :( ) make it a damn amazing Pokémon with tons of counters. Weezing's got Sludge Bomb and Attract (also Toxic when I get the TM). my starter's got Giga Drain and Leaf Blade whereas Swanna has water/flying moves. I'm pretty sure this'll be my team until the very end (unless I find a shiny or something) and I'm 100% content with that.

Now after I beat the Elite Four I'll go around filling up the Pokédex. I honestly can't wait. :D

My team is as stands:

Weed (Serpentime) - lv67

Mary (Ampharos) - lv67

Intoxica (Weezing) - lv61

Serena (Swanna) - lv51

My team has been the pretty much the same since Diamond/Pearl. I spent 450+ Hours cultivating the best possible team I could put together. As it stands:

"Mjolnir" the Metagross - Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Toxic, Meteor Mash

"Titan" the Tyrannitar - Earthquake, Stone Edge, Ice Fang, Toxic

"Kamaitachi" the Weavile - Ice Punch, Brick Break, Swords Dance, Night Slash

"Khepri" the Ninjask - Agility, Double Team, Swords Dance, Baton Pass

"Jericho" the Forretress - Toxic Spikes, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Explosion

"Wraith" the Gengar - Hypnosis, Psychic, Toxic, Thunderbolt

I have as alternates "Fafnir" the Haxorus, "Anubis" the Lucario, and "Helen" the Milotic. The Haxorus is the only that is quite complete yet. Members that were dropped from the team were "Zeus" the Electavire, "Kirin" the Suicune, and "Aurora" the Glaceon.

Huh, that's a great team. Sounds like a LOT of egg-hatching/IV checking/EV training was involved...! Also seems as if it was worth the trouble... that Ninjask in particular must be the annoying thing in the world given:

1. it's the fastest Pokémon in the series base stat-wise so it's guaranteed a Double Team

2. it's got that ability that gives it more speed for each turn it stays in battle

3. Agility gives it more speed

4. Baton Pass also passes on stat boosts

That said, I put in a similar amount of hours into Pearl back in the day but that was mostly towards completing my Pearl Pokédex (the amount of hours ultimately included multiple R/S/E FR/LG playthroughs to Pal Park all the necessary guys).

I think it was worth it: I have one of every Pokémon, in order, in the PC. I've also got 2 shinies I found in the process of completing my Pokédex as well as a shiny Charmander I hatched afterwards. I'm pretty much in love with that Pearl and I know for sure I'll never restart the file/get rid of it. I more than got my money's worth out of that game for sure.

Also, I remember writing a few posts back that I decided to EV train a Jolly/Moxie Sandile I bred on a whim. Welp, EV training's done and I decided to check the Sandile's IVs... everything was above 25 except for Defense! Lucky me! Might not be perfect but still very usable for what I may use it for (mostly soloing the Elite Four to level up other dudes I may decide to EV train for fun in the future) :D

Huh, that's a great team. Sounds like a LOT of egg-hatching/IV checking/EV training was involved...! Also seems as if it was worth the trouble... that Ninjask in particular must be the annoying thing in the world given:

1. it's the fastest Pokémon in the series base stat-wise so it's guaranteed a Double Team

2. it's got that ability that gives it more speed for each turn it stays in battle

3. Agility gives it more speed

4. Baton Pass also passes on stat boosts

That said, I put in a similar amount of hours into Pearl back in the day but that was mostly towards completing my Pearl Pokédex (the amount of hours ultimately included multiple R/S/E FR/LG playthroughs to Pal Park all the necessary guys).

I think it was worth it: I have one of every Pokémon, in order, in the PC. I've also got 2 shinies I found in the process of completing my Pokédex as well as a shiny Charmander I hatched afterwards. I'm pretty much in love with that Pearl and I know for sure I'll never restart the file/get rid of it. I more than got my money's worth out of that game for sure.

Also, I remember writing a few posts back that I decided to EV train a Jolly/Moxie Sandile I bred on a whim. Welp, EV training's done and I decided to check the Sandile's IVs... everything was above 25 except for Defense! Lucky me! Might not be perfect but still very usable for what I may use it for (mostly soloing the Elite Four to level up other dudes I may decide to EV train for fun in the future) :D

Yeah the hatching for Mjolnir, Titan, Fafnir, and Khepri were especially troublesome because I needed the proper natures, IVs, and I wanted them to be shiny. EV training isn't so bad, just requires patience. You can EV train a poke in as little as 8 hours if you know what you are doing. Leveling takes about as long after that. Possibly shorter if you keep just E4 Running.

EV training isn't so bad, just requires patience. You can EV train a poke in as little as 8 hours if you know what you are doing. Leveling takes about as long after that. Possibly shorter if you keep just E4 Running.

Oh yeah, definitely. Back in the day I EV trained a Piplup and I remember it taking a good chunk out of my day. But then again, Diamond/Pearl's battles were a Shuckle compared to the Weavile that is Gen V, so EV training Black/White/their sequels would ideally take someone considerably less time. I think Sandile took me 2 hours (and that's without Pokérus, Macho Brace, etc.).

Anywho, I pretty much solo'd the Elite Four with Ampharos. Now that I'm essentially "done" with the game, I think it's time for me to go ahead and fill up my Pokédex with everything I can possibly catch... and per usual, I'll only use regular Poké Balls.

Well, after beating the Elite Four, it only felt natural to hunt down Zekrom and then Kyurem before doing anything else. And, well, mission accomplished. I only had to use a total of 7 Poké Balls combined on the duo. I'm not even sure how I got so lucky :P

I'm tremendously looking forward to filling up my boxes with every possible catchable Pokémon in the game <3

Still trying to catch everything in the Pokédex... I've got about 4 boxes filled up and for the most part it's been loads of fun. I'm really enjoying it. :)

For the most part, that is. I really hate those damn rippling water-only encounters. Not only is downright annoying to get rippling water to appear to begin with, but when you do it's usually something like Basculin that shouldn't be in EVERY body of water. The annoyance factor skyrockets when the designated Pokémon is extremely rare (hi 1% Dragonite) or moderately rare yet has something like Perish Song of all moves (hi 5% Politoed).

Good thing I've got those Pokémon out of the way, though. Hopefully I only need a few more "fish/surf in rippling water" Pokés.