Super Metroid: Fear Companion Soundtrack

YukiKazami

This is an idea I had for a friend of mines Super Metroid hack. His hack, Super Metroid Fear, is going to be the one of the biggest SM hacks created by anyone so far, only smaller than Super Zero Mission and Redesign, but Fear is still growing.

Just in case anyone wasn't sure, we are looking for remixes of tracks taken from the 2-d Metroid games soundtracks.

http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,181.0.html

This is the topic on Metroid Construction, the Super Metroid hacking forum, about his hack.

http://metroidrevival.freeforums.ORG

Anyone who is signing up for a track should notify me and register here, as this is where most of the album discussion will take place

We are looking for a companion soundtrack that will be around 20-25 songs. We plam for plenty of fun remixes, for all to enjoy, with some boss themes and triumphant music interspersed throughout. As time goes on I will be updating this topic with a lot more info as to what we are looking for. Anyone who wants to try their hand can post here or contact me at poke2mon3@gmail.com . Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Here are the feels we are looking for for each area.

KERO SEWERS: Landing site. Beginning of a vast adventure. Shortly feeling accomplished, and then breaking down into a lost memory. Second area, very mysterious, and sudden terror. No safety, very on-edge.

TERMINA: Veryearthy.Prettystraightforward and then opens up. Sense of exploration. Disapointment. Second section, extremely dangerous and weird. Odd, creepy feeling. Thinking something should be happening, but nothing does. Third area. BUBBLES! The world is turned upside down. Determination, and triumph.

TEMPLE VOID: Thrill of exploration, feeling relativelysafe for a little bit. Suddenly goes into overloaded danger. The confidence and new found hope and desire to delve deeper.

UNDERWORLD:Lotsofdetermination involved here. There is a sense of exploration as well, but I would say more focused here. This is probably a straightforward run to reach whatever the goal is.Second area: Veryjungly. Lots of danger, lots of different paths to take. Confusion would be a pretty good description.

ESCAPE: Panic! Running, rising danger, and pure panic.

THE HOLLOW: Caves. Claustrophobic. Dark and gloomy. Lost and completely isolated. Second area: Exotic. Very, veryweirdthings being seen.Probablya little confused. Unexpected.

WARP ZONE: Open,spacey,and mechanical. Sortoflikea futuristic transportation system.

Bosses are all generally deadly, and you can run into one pretty much anywhere. Some will be surprising, and many will cause the player to think along different lines. A couple are going to be nuclear, death will happen quickly, just depends on whether Samus or the boss dies first. And they are all very,veryoverpowered. Further information about the bosses will be given in a more private setting.

You are indeed misunderstanding. The soundtrack will be included with the game, it just cannot be IN the game. And who said anything about it being of lesser quality? The renowned Super Metroid hacker Digital Mantra did the same thing with his re-release of the SM hack Eris, and people loved the soundtrack. This will count as the games soundtrack, and we can specify in the track info where and when the music is meant to be played. The only reason this music would not be within the game itself is because the only way to make custom music within Super Metroid would require a person interested to learn complex ASM code, so instead it would be given alongside the game to be heard.

EDIT: In reply to you, G-Mixer, the point is that this is how the game is meant to be heard, but cannot be, because of the way the music of Super Metroid was coded. So to give people full enjoyment of the game, a soundtrack would be provided alongside it.

Sorry dude, not trying to be an asshole, but that's just dumb. Will you also be including a folder of updated graphics that you "wanted" to put in the game, but couldn't? A read me of text re-translations of the text you always wanted to see?

To put into finer terms, you're asking players to enjoy the additional "bonus" soundtrack in the context of "Now, just imaging playing through Brinstar with THIS playing, instead of the SPC that's in there already because we couldn't figure out how to do it." That's what you're telling players, and it's somewhat ridiculous and it doesn't reflect well on you guys as programmers.

And while that actually works in some contexts by itself, the problem here is you want a COMMUNITY to contribute to that. It goes back to my previous question - why would I spend a good deal of my time rearranging music for a game it won't actually be inside, instead only offered up as sort of an apology for your limitations as a programmer?

Again, not trying to be an asshole there, but that really doesn't make much sense.

While we DO know how to put custom music inside of the game itself, and there WILL be custom music, what can be made within the SNES is still not comparable to what can be made with DAW's, trackers, and other music creation software. This is not an apology to the gamers playing it, it is an additional bonus to show how deep our love for this project is. I myself am planning to have one or two tracks on this. Mirbs was kind enough to point out in IRC, this is a companion soundtrack, and I will rename the topic as such.

Yeah, that would be a step in the right direction. If you're advertising it as "Hey, if you download this hack, you get this sweet arrange-soundtrack with it!" that's a shitload better than how you made it sound at the forefront there.

So, in that context, are we doing like OCR quality full remixes, or just sprucing them up?

While OCR-quality would be pretty sweet, I'm not gonna ask you guys to do any more than you want to. Unless a track SUCKS and is agreed to suck by most onboard, a mid-to-high quality remix should be fine

EDIT: I can safely tell you now that remixes of Red Brinstar, Maridia 2/Rocky Maridia, and Upper Norfair are all fair game, as they fit the ambiant creepyness, for lack of a better term, that we would be looking for.

• 1 month later...